Playoffs officially begin tonight

walzav29

This will be exactly how the playoffs will be if the Bengals make the playoffs. Going on the road against a desperate team. The good news is that the Colts clinched their division. There are things going against the Bengals, that are just football rules.

#1. Everyone crapping on the 10-3 Colts while talking up the Bengals.

#2. All the talk about the Colts horrible run defense can inspire them for 1 night. That run defense will keep them out of the Superbowl, but they had the 2nd worst rushing D performance in the last 5o years or something. They will play as good as they possibly can on the National stage against the run to show they aren't that bad.

The good news is the Bengals can easily take advantage of them trying to hard to stop the run. Palmer is undefeated in Domes, and usually wins rematch games. It's going to be a stressful game.

As intense as it gets :bengal: Best way for the Bengals to offset the Indy deep ball is to get as much push from the DTs as possible and force Manning into quick reads and 3 step drops. I'd say it will be a mistake for the Bengals to play anything but man on the corners with Madieu in centerfield so long as Deltha and Joseph are the corners. Let Landon zone deep and Caleb or Simmons underneath with Jeanty and Dex Jack lasered in on the RBs and Manning when he drops deep.

I hope Chuck and Marv can do something exotic to create pressure. I remember the Patriots dropped 9 guys and rushed 2! Something crazy like that. Yeah I'm way to jazzed up. If they don't win this week, then next week could ruin Christmas. Nothing like a trip to the psychiatrist's office for my kids in 20 years when they talk about drunk dad smashing the TV with a Christmas Tree because the Bengals lost 2 straight to keep them out of the playoffs. C'mon Bengals! Do it for the kids!

This will be exactly how the playoffs will be if the Bengals make the playoffs. Going on the road against a desperate team. The good news is that the Colts clinched their division. There are things going against the Bengals, that are just football rules.

#1. Everyone crapping on the 10-3 Colts while talking up the Bengals.

#2. All the talk about the Colts horrible run defense can inspire them for 1 night. That run defense will keep them out of the Superbowl, but they had the 2nd worst rushing D performance in the last 5o years or something. They will play as good as they possibly can on the National stage against the run to show they aren't that bad.

The good news is the Bengals can easily take advantage of them trying to hard to stop the run. Palmer is undefeated in Domes, and usually wins rematch games. It's going to be a stressful game.

Surely they will try to do something to stop the run. The question is what? Are their DEs going to stop doing spin moves and other crap on every play, getting themselves pushed way in the backfield on running plays? If so, their pass rush will suffer.

Are their LBs going to overpursue in an effort to stop the bleeding? If so, that could make it worse.

I hope Chuck and Marv can do something exotic to create pressure. I remember the Patriots dropped 9 guys and rushed 2!

Don't think they have to go too exotic with the weaknesses the Colts have right now. Their #3 receivers -- Proehl and Moorhead -- have a combined 4 catches. If the Bengals maintain pressure with a 4 man front and a 5th blitzer, they should be able to force Manning mistakes downfield. All the Bengals need is a personnel base to account for what the Colts will show -- 2 TE sets, split backfield or the 3WRs. They can keep their 11 best defensive players on the field vs. the no huddle by using Madieu as a single deep safety and kicking him down into the slot when the Colts line up a slot WR with Dex Jack dropping back deep. If Wayne or Harrison are the slot WRs, they can kick Madieu out to wide corner and bring Joseph in to the slot.

I'd like to same 11 on the field for almost the whole game -- Jumpy Jr. and Justin at ends, Doublewide Sam and Peko at DT, the LBs Caleb, Landon and Jeanty, and the DBs Madieu, Joseph, O'Neal and Dex Jack. The Colts are going to have to rely on their TEs Utecht and Flecther a lot when they don't go to Addai and Rhodes either running or catching. The better prepared the Bengals are to grind it out with the same 11, the better off they will be. No doubt Big Sam will need a blow but if both him and Peko get winded, then the Bengals can put in Big Shaun or B-Rob at LDT and Thornton.

But if the Colts go single back with 4 wides, the Bengals would probably have to bring in K2. And I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts try to use Addai as a 4th WR out of the slot a lot on 3rd downs.

I think you'll see KK and DJax on the field at the same time a lot like last week.

Defensively for the Colts, I think they can just pick their poison. If they overload the box, Carson has 1 on 1 on the outside. If they play deep Cover 2, hand it off and watch Rudi average 5 yards a carry :bengal:

Most folks think that's the case with 3 safeties but Addai and Rhodes are much better than Fargas and Reshard Lee. I'd like to see the Bengals force Manning to throw deep because IMO Jospeh, O'Neal and Madieu are better in deep coverage than Harrison and Wayne are receivers. W/O Clark and Stokely, there's just no need for the Bengals to stay in a nickel the whole game unless the Colts go strictly single back w/o any TEs. I say force Manning into 7 step drops and get him whacked a few times. Pressure from the Bengals is the last thing he expects.

Offensively, the Bengals should march all over the Colts D unless Brat and Palmer both drift off into Mike Martz happy land.

It iwll be huge too to get the ball first. I would rather it not be a shoot-out. Last years game was 14-3 by the time I sneezed with the Bengals playing catch up the whole game. If they have a nice long drive to open the game it would be another way to get Peyton to feel like "I have to do it all myself again." This is the only game that I feel like getting the ball first is a real advantage.

Gotta bring consistent pressure on Manning and have blitzes work - I'm not worried about the Bengals' offense scoring points. They almost always do.

This is not the Browns or Raiders' offenses - but the Bengals' have to make plays on defense, on 3rd down - defense has to bring it for 4 quarters.

A win tonight virtually seals a playoff spot at this point - just gotta find a way to win in a place not many do or have for a while.

Bengals' win tonight and they'll have proved my point about them being a SuperBowl team - and possibly the best in the league. If not, they're just back to underachieving - forgiveable in this case - but it's a game they can win.

I think the reason that this game feels so big is that it will really prove how far they have come since Marvin came here. If they can pull it out against a great team on the road on Monday night while fighting for a playoff spot will be huuuuuuuge. If. If they win. That would make them 3-3 against the division leaders in the NFL. That's very difficult, but to beat division leaders in the midst of a 5 game winning streak before the playoffs will be a big confidence booster. I like the Bengals over the Chargers with a Palmer returning home against an inexperienced Rivers, or the newly confident Bengals vs the Pats. Who do you think that field turf will benefit? If they win tonight they'll know they can go into Indy, and I already know that the ycan beat the Ravens anywhere. It all hinges on tonight. I can't stand the wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great breakdowns by everyone, all solid.

I would like to add that Chuck better not ignore Prohl. I watched him in Carolina and he is a great possesions reciver who can get lost in coverage. He can be covered nicely by a line backer however.

Special teams will be huge. I hope Holt can get solid returns if not break one tonight and I think if we limit their field position after scores and get the D off the field we will be OK.

I think the composure of the Bengals is much improved over last year, which helps in these situations.

I wasn't really excited this morning about the game. I have been a Bengal sfan since the opended the doors in '68, the feeling of dread has followed most of the time.

I will say this........

It is put up or shut up time.

And I think this time. Carson and the boys want it just a little more.

WHO_DEY