Troy Smith won Heisman

johnson85

ncf_w_smith_heisman_412.jpg

NEW YORK (Ticker) - All season, quarterback Troy Smith left no doubt about Ohio State's status as the best team in the country. The Heisman Trophy voting left no doubt about college football's best player.

Smith, who led Ohio State to an unbeaten season and the top of the rankings, won the Heisman in record fashion, receiving the highest percentage of first-place votes.

A senior, Smith was named the winner of college football's most prestigious award over Arkansas running back Darren McFadden and Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn.

"Normally I'm pretty cool under pressure situations, but my heart is pounding right now," said Smith, who thanked Buckeyes coach Jim Tressel, his family and his teammates.

The prohibitive favorite, Smith received 801 first-place votes and 2,540 points. His first-place votes represented the highest percentage in the history of the award, which dates to 1935.

There was no regional bias, either. Smith received at least 389 points in all six voting regions.

A year ago, Southern California running back Reggie Bush received 874 first-place votes and 2,541 points. However, there were more ballots last year.

McFadden was second with 45 first-place votes and 878 points. The winning margin of 1,662 points is the second-largest in the history of the award, trailing only O.J. Simpson's 1,750-point win over Leroy Keyes in 1968.

Smith became the seventh OSU player to win the Heisman and first since running back Eddie George, who won in 1995. He is the sixth quarterback to win in the last seven years and ended a run of three straight junior winners.

In a season punctuated by peerless performances in big games, Smith threw for 2,507 yards, 30 touchdowns and just five interceptions as the Buckeyes went 12-0, earning the No. 1 ranking and a date with No. 2 Florida in the BCS national championship game January 8 in Glendale, Arizona.

In Nos. 1-vs.-2 matchups against Texas and Michigan, Smith threw for 585 yards, six touchdowns and one interception. The Buckeyes won at Texas, 24-7, early in the season and held off Michigan at home, 42-39, to complete an undefeated campaign.

We all knew he would win it anyway :cheers: He won by the second-biggest margin in history.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=At...t&type=lgns

ncf_w_smith_heisman_412.jpg

NEW YORK (Ticker) - All season, quarterback Troy Smith left no doubt about Ohio State's status as the best team in the country. The Heisman Trophy voting left no doubt about college football's best player.

Smith, who led Ohio State to an unbeaten season and the top of the rankings, won the Heisman in record fashion, receiving the highest percentage of first-place votes.

A senior, Smith was named the winner of college football's most prestigious award over Arkansas running back Darren McFadden and Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn.

"Normally I'm pretty cool under pressure situations, but my heart is pounding right now," said Smith, who thanked Buckeyes coach Jim Tressel, his family and his teammates.

The prohibitive favorite, Smith received 801 first-place votes and 2,540 points. His first-place votes represented the highest percentage in the history of the award, which dates to 1935.

There was no regional bias, either. Smith received at least 389 points in all six voting regions.

A year ago, Southern California running back Reggie Bush received 874 first-place votes and 2,541 points. However, there were more ballots last year.

McFadden was second with 45 first-place votes and 878 points. The winning margin of 1,662 points is the second-largest in the history of the award, trailing only O.J. Simpson's 1,750-point win over Leroy Keyes in 1968.

Smith became the seventh OSU player to win the Heisman and first since running back Eddie George, who won in 1995. He is the sixth quarterback to win in the last seven years and ended a run of three straight junior winners.

In a season punctuated by peerless performances in big games, Smith threw for 2,507 yards, 30 touchdowns and just five interceptions as the Buckeyes went 12-0, earning the No. 1 ranking and a date with No. 2 Florida in the BCS national championship game January 8 in Glendale, Arizona.

In Nos. 1-vs.-2 matchups against Texas and Michigan, Smith threw for 585 yards, six touchdowns and one interception. The Buckeyes won at Texas, 24-7, early in the season and held off Michigan at home, 42-39, to complete an undefeated campaign.

We all knew he would win it anyway :cheers: He won by the second-biggest margin in history.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=At...t&type=lgns

They said he got 87% of the vote best ever pct.

Troy deserved it most no doubt in my mind,I was saying the media wanted quinn to win.I hope i'm wrong with doubt troy smith will make it in the next level he seems like a very good kid but outside of drew brees what successful QB's have been under 6'1?

I thought you were talking about Smith, not Quinn. My bad. I do agree with that though... Smith doesn't look like the type whose talent will translate successfully to the NFL level. I don't think he's a guy that a team can be built around like Vince Young might be soon. He'll probably be a first round/day pick though, and maybe if he is put in the right place he can perform well.

Troy deserved it most no doubt in my mind,I was saying the media wanted quinn to win.I hope i'm wrong with doubt troy smith will make it in the next level he seems like a very good kid but outside of drew brees what successful QB's have been under 6'1?

I thought you were talking about Smith, not Quinn. My bad. I do agree with that though... Smith doesn't look like the type whose talent will translate successfully to the NFL level. I don't think he's a guy that a team can be built around like Vince Young might be soon. He'll probably be a first round/day pick though, and maybe if he is put in the right place he can perform well.

Oh, I beg to differ. He's got decent arm strength, uncanny accuracy, and all the intangibles a QB can need. He'll be a successful QB, and I'm willing to wager that he makes a better NFL QB in the long run that Brady Quinn will

I don't expect much from Brady Quinn either. He really doesn't seem to have the skill set that the better college-to-NFL QBs have had in recent years. I've never been certain why he is mentioned so often as the premier prospect in college. To me, Jamarcus Russell is better than either one.

Troy Smith is going to be a great quarterback at the next level. When he gets drafted by the Browns in the first round, he will give that team hope at quarterback

Smith is too small people. He is listed at 6'1. Yeah, in a dream. He is at best 5'11. While I love the kid, I just don't see him excelling as an NFL QB. His overall athleticism dictates that he should move out to a scat back ala Perry position, at best. He is a tweener in the NFL, and we all know tweeners are never the end all be all when it comes to the NFL. He is undersized. Yet quick as Hell for a QB. Kick ass arm, but not big enough to pass over the lines in the NFL. Not fast enough to be a multiple down RB. Not big enough to be a wide reciever. He has limited opportunities in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong. I love tOSU. I love the kid. But I just do not see him being a truly impact player in the NFL.

Edit.

Oh yeah. I think Troy was easily the best player in the NCAA and so he should win the Heismann. But I speaks to how weak the competition was this year, and not how dominant he was per se. Outside of Troy, was there anyone who had a year that made you stand up and take notice? Not in my opinion. Thus the vote.

I think Smith can excell exceptionally at the Pro Level. The guy has everything you need in a quarterback(except height), that doesnt scare me as much. Drew Brees is tiny and is having a career year. Don't underestimate someone because of their height, it is decieving. Oh yeah, don't be suprised if the browns draft him first round. Mort mentioned that today on Countdown. The Browns have a need at QB, and they could reach and grab Troy Smith.

I think Smith can excell exceptionally at the Pro Level. The guy has everything you need in a quarterback(except height), that doesnt scare me as much. Drew Brees is tiny and is having a career year. Don't underestimate someone because of their height, it is decieving. Oh yeah, don't be suprised if the browns draft him first round. Mort mentioned that today on Countdown. The Browns have a need at QB, and they could reach and grab Troy Smith.

I don't see the Brownies drafting Troy Smith because of Charlie Frye who is in his second year. If the Browns do infact draft Troy, then they are giving up on Charlie Frye. I believe where ever he goes, he will make an instant impact because of his intangibles. He is a leader and believes in his teamates, not himself. He will grasp the opportunity and run with it. He is to smart not to.

Troy Smith can and will play in the NFL - he has improved dramatically in a relatively short period of time in the NCAA elite.

Smith reminds of a McNabb or Brees.

I also think 6'1" is about right for him.

1st day pick absolutely - top 5 would be a stretch I think - but we'll see. Of course the championship game could make or break him, like it did for Vince Young, who is "ok" in the NFL - but probably won't ever be anything overtly special.

He's already done a lot of good things for Cleveland since he grew up there,

Troy Smith was my high school quarter back (St. Edward of Lakewood 00'-02) I was class of 2000, he led us to a whopping 5-6 season my senoir year. I am kind of biased against him.

He stole from everyone, he lied, he was pompus, and generally a douche bag.

WE ( the browns) have SOOO manye needs on the O-line, and D-line, that we couldn't protect him properly anyway.

He's already done a lot of good things for Cleveland since he grew up there,
Troy Smith was my high school quarter back (St. Edward of Lakewood 00'-02) I was class of 2000, he led us to a whopping 5-6 season my senoir year. I am kind of biased against him.

He stole from everyone, he lied, he was pompus, and generally a douche bag.

I don't doubt it. That was kind of his thing... even with Ohio State, until last year. I'm not sure what happened... but he seems like a different person. He's a winner, and the Brownies would probably be lucky to have him. But, they'll probably end up taking someone else... and next year at this time everyone will be talking about Cleveland passing on him (much the way everyone is talking about Houston passing on Vince Young).