Pollack -- unlikely to return - ever

Sportsdoc

I have worked rehabilitating injured athletes and workers for many years, and the statements from David Pollack seem very disturbing -- the non-verbals more so than the verbals. I suspect that he and is wife are very frightened about the neck injury, and if the doctors do not give him 100% assurance that he cannot break his neck, he will not be back.

Re-run of the career of Andy Katzenmoyer...... take the signing bonus and enjoy life........

Occasionally wrong, but rarely in doubt..........

Doc

Agreed about him having be 100% safety but can't blaime the guy and it does sound like hes preparing for life without football...just sucks because its a 1st rnder down the drain that will never get back....plus won't we have take a cap hit because of it? inless we IR him until he nolonger would cost us just to cut him :P

YEah, you can kind of tell by the way he talks he's already made peace with the idea. And i don't think in a sport like football a doc can tell him he doesn't have a chance at breaking it again.

But I in no way blame the guy for walking away. Putting myself in his shoes I'd make the same choice

I really had this guy penciled in for great things this year. I thought he'd wreak havoc.

But, some things are more important that football

I'd say the more doubt builds regarding Pollack, the more likely it is Odell will play again for the Bengals. I'd be happy to see a linebacking corps consisting of a WSLB draft pick, Odell at MLB, and Brooks at SSLB.

If Pollack doesn't play again, I wish him the best. Can't blame him at all.

I, too, would not fault Pollack's decision not play again --- I hope he does play and moves to DE.

I believe we miss his QB pressures and sacks.

The Bengals desperately need someone to put pressure on the QB -- and Pollack got consistent pressure with his "never-quit" attitude and quickness.

Which is one reason I still hold out hope that he plays -- at DE (less like to take the shot to the neck again. IMO)

Such a great talent at DE in college. Man he was good. Then the Bengals draft him and make him a freaking LB? Very questionable.. I guess they think he's too small to play DE in the NFL??? He's lucky that he can walk. I do not expect to ever see Pollack in a uniform again. I hope the best for him and his dreams and a healthy recovery. If he ever plays football again I'd be very surprised.

Agreed about him having be 100% safety but can't blaime the guy and it does sound like hes preparing for life without football...just sucks because its a 1st rnder down the drain that will never get back....plus won't we have take a cap hit because of it? inless we IR him until he nolonger would cost us just to cut him :P

I am not sure how injury settlements work vs. the cap hit, etc. But it seems like it should be a write off for something that extreme since the team has already paid the player.

I fully expect Pollack to play next year.

And he did NOT say that the only way he would play is if a doctor told him he wouldn't break his neck again. He already said he is going to play unless the chances of him breaking his neck again are increased because of the injury. I doubt that will be the case. He said if the risk is the same as it was before, he's going to play. He spelled it out for everybody. Pretty simple.

Injury settlement has to be workd out in the year of injury, pays for the amount owed the individual when they would be out with the injury, and I believe the cap is effected by the reduced settlement sum plus any signing and/or roster bonuses he has received. There would be no cap implications beyond this season. There may be other rules effecting non vested player=4 years or more, but if pollack does not decide this year and waits then cant play, I dont think there would be any cap hit besides pro rata signing bonus and any other contract clauses that stipulate gauranteed money, because it will be pollack that will be unable to play and thus not fulfill his contract. BTW, no way he plays ball again. This is obvious. A fracture of a vertabrea is very serious and could effect many other areas of his spine/nervous system, risk of paralysis or long to disc/nerve damage or displacement. He is undersized to begin with, and will likely lose all wieght and strength in the intervening months. Why risk it with all his cash?

Think Rashad could play weak? sense he has quickness or does he lack the cover skills.Would be nice having brooks on strong rashad on weak to help the pass rush.

I guess they think he's too small to play DE in the NFL???

Only knock on pollack was short arms.

Mybe we can bond his neck bones with adamantium..........

:lmao::cheers:

I really hope he can return though such a good person and a high character would suck to lose when it was really what this team needed...I've heard alot of talk about moving him DE so less chance of hurting his neck do you guys think that would actually help vs staying at LB?

Pong hit it on the head - very simple - if it heals correctly and has no chance of him injuring it more severely, if it happens again, he'll play.

If it doesn't heal the way they want it to, and has a chance of paralyzing him next time - he won't. Even if it's a 1% greater chance.

We will know on or around Dec. 6th for certain.

After watching Trent Green on nfl network it gives me some hope pollacks return(though pollacks injury alot more serious) but like others said if his neck heals completely and theres same chance of him breaking his neck before he broke it I see him returning....but if it doesn't heal right and he needs to go under the knife then I see him coaching HS football in 2 years :P

I think there might be an issue with Pollack mentally if there isn't one physically. He has been one of those "crazy-high motor-hit you as hard as he can-get up an do it again" type players.

With the type of injury he had, and the potential loss associated with that injury, there is a very real possibility that he'll never be the player he was expected to be, even if he does decide to come back.