Our Defense will Improve

BengalPimp

With 6 games left to play, we will face the 2 worst total offenses in the NFL. The Raiders(32nd) and Browns(31st). Here is how our remaining opponents are ranked in total offense.

BROWNS---31ST

RAVENS---22ND

RAIDERS---32ND

COLTS---3RD

BRONCOS---19TH

STEELERS---5TH

With injured players returning, and 4 of our 6 remaining games against opponents with total offenses ranked 19th or worse(including the 2 worst in the NFL) there is NO REASON to believe that our Defense will not be better by season's end.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may end up ranked better than it is now, but what is that worth?

I thought last week's 49 points was more a fluke than anything, but then the defense went out and gave up the sixth highest passing total in NFL history to Drew Brees. If they don't improve a GREAT deal, then they're screwed. Even if they get into the playoffs, with a defense performing that poorly they'll just get laughed out of town in a blowout.

That said, all negativity aside... I don't think the defense is really as bad as they've shown the last two weeks.

They have no other option but to improve because they are ranked last in total defense. LAST! I knew our defense was a weak link, but dang! So much for our defensive minded coach. We had better pray for a garbage load of turnovers from our D the rest of the year.

I agree that the offenses that we are facing are not as potent, but this defense can't be trusted unless they force tons of turnovers. :bengal:

They have no other option but to improve because they are ranked last in total defense. LAST! I knew our defense was a weak link, but dang! So much for our defensive minded coach. We had better pray for a garbage load of turnovers from our D the rest of the year.

I agree that the offenses that we are facing are not as potent, but this defense can't be trusted unless they force tons of turnovers. :bengal:

Yup, nowhere to go but up

Everyone agrees that the Defense needs to play better, but my point is we will be getting a few of the players that were injured for one or both of those games back soon, like Simmons,DJackson,O'Neal,Brooks.

True. However. all our preseaaon hopes for a better D were predicated on better performance out of Odell, Pollack, Dexter at SS and Sam Adams. Odell and Pollack won't be back this year, and maybe not ever; Dexter, as usual, can't stay healthy, and Adams has been mostly unimpressive.

Given the crappy collection of offenses they face, you are right that their ranking will almost certainly improve. But I don't expect a big defensive turnaround.

Seems to me that SD made the Broncos Defense look pretty bad as well.

They are "ranked" pretty highly, aren't they? :huh:

Please don't tell me that you are trying to defend this defense. Are you? On Sunday, they stopped the Saints close to the goal line and forced a field goal. I was pleased with that performance - on that one drive. I should make it part of my signature since I say it so much: Unless they force a turnover, the D can't be trusted to stop anybody"

Yes SD has a great O but you can't sugarcoat a 32nd ranked defense. :unsure:

That said, all negativity aside... I don't think the defense is really as bad as they've shown the last two weeks.

As Fat Sam says, you cant talk about it, you have to go out and do it.

You dont become last in the league for no reason.

The O will tease into thinking we can make it to the tournament. This D is the reason we wont make it.

:bengal:

Seems to me that SD made the Broncos Defense look pretty bad as well.

They are "ranked" pretty highly, aren't they? :huh:

Please don't tell me that you are trying to defend this defense. Are you? On Sunday, they stopped the Saints close to the goal line and forced a field goal. I was pleased with that performance - on that one drive. I should make it part of my signature since I say it so much: Unless they force a turnover, the D can't be trusted to stop anybody"

Yes SD has a great O but you can't sugarcoat a 32nd ranked defense. :unsure:

Not trying to defend our D, just pointing out that the SD offense has made everybodys D look pretty bad (when they aren't playing Marty Ball).

I don't particularly care where the defense "ranks" because games against New England and San Diego are good examples of how a really bad game can screw up the rankings. We had games where we allowed 49 and 38 points... but in 6 games we've held opposing offenses to 20 or fewer points.

That said, the way the defense is playing right now will not get us to the playoffs. We will not beat Baltimore, Indy or Denver (and probably not Pittsburgh) if we allow 455 yards/game (what we've been averaging over the last 4 games).

I'm not sure what the solution is. Probably a lot of it is we just need to get healthy and get some confidence back. The D-Line has played pretty well... so if we can get Simmons, Deltha, and Dexter back, we're bound to get better.

But we're not going to improve to the point that we scare anyone. It's going to be a repeat of last year. We need to win with our offense. Our defense needs to get healthy, and keep coming up with turnovers, and Palmer, Chad and Rudi need to play lights out. Otherwise we'll either miss the playoffs or be 1 and done.

lol i think theyll improve because they will get better, not because they play the worst offenses and look better

before the sd game people were saying the d looks better than last year

i mean people still knew it was bad cause of the third and long conversions... but it was much better than last year

lol i think theyll improve because they will get better, not because they play the worst offenses and look better

i mean people still knew it was bad cause of the third and long conversions... but it was much better than last year

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: James and O'Neal have been extreme liabilities this year for our D. James can't keep up, and his attempts at tackles looks like a girl trying to hug a boyfriend; O'Neal doesn't seem to have any heart.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: James and O'Neal have been extreme liabilities this year for our D. James can't keep up, and his attempts at tackles looks like a girl trying to hug a boyfriend; O'Neal doesn't seem to have any heart.

O'Neal does have heart, he has been playing with an injured leg all season. And for a CB an less than 100 percent leg is a bad thing.

The D did the same thing last year played good the 1st half of the season and then got to a point where they could not get off the field...we just don't seem to have that toughness I think a D needs...I believe we were starting to get that with OThurman, but he is gone...TJames is just plain awful, and hope he is doing this next year with another team...I like that EKilmer, he is not afraid to hit someone...all in all I know we have had injuries, but MLewis is a defensive coach, I really thought that the D would be the least of our problems on this team, especially after 4 years on the job...

i hate tory james

Lewis drafted Palmer .. he allready had Chad , TJ and Rudi..

He didnt make this offense .. It was handed to him so he gets no credit for that imo..

The defense was supposed to be his forte and he was supposed to build it into a unit similar to the Ravens ..

He hasnt come close ....

Im starting to wonder if he inherited the Raven defense from Ozzie Newsome's skillful drafting and free agency signings..

( I can hear the injury cries allready )

I don't particularly care where the defense "ranks" because games against New England and San Diego are good examples of how a really bad game can screw up the rankings. We had games where we allowed 49 and 38 points... but in 6 games we've held opposing offenses to 20 or fewer points.

That said, the way the defense is playing right now will not get us to the playoffs. We will not beat Baltimore, Indy or Denver (and probably not Pittsburgh) if we allow 455 yards/game (what we've been averaging over the last 4 games).

I'm not sure what the solution is. Probably a lot of it is we just need to get healthy and get some confidence back. The D-Line has played pretty well... so if we can get Simmons, Deltha, and Dexter back, we're bound to get better.

But we're not going to improve to the point that we scare anyone. It's going to be a repeat of last year. We need to win with our offense. Our defense needs to get healthy, and keep coming up with turnovers, and Palmer, Chad and Rudi need to play lights out. Otherwise we'll either miss the playoffs or be 1 and done.

Actually, they pretty much suck, and suck BIG donkey balls.

If we had even a half-way decent Dline, this D would not be ranked 32nd in overall D.

The only players worth a damn on the Dline this season have been Robert, Justin and Peko.

Robinson and Thornton absolutely NEED to go.

Totally agree about Robinson and Thorton they need to take a walk. They get pushed off the line and can't tackle. I think they should alternate Peko and Shaun Smith when Adams is in there, and use both on passing downs. I would also start Geathers full time. I still can't believe he has to split time with Robinson. Axe Tory, and get someone that is fast and doesn't arm tackle. I am so tired of watching this guy make terrible tackles. This is F-ing football. I don't know how Tory James made it this far with weak arm tackling.

You can get excited if you want... but this is just further proof that our defense is the most inconsistent in the league. We played lights out defense in the 1st half against SD too.... but then gave up 42 points in the 2nd half. The Browns don't have Tomlinson. That's the main difference I saw.

I predict that Heap will still have his way with our defense on 3rd down. The thing we have going for us though is that our offense is finally playing well, and we shouldn't be losing by 14 five minutes into the game.

No Perry, but now there's Glenn Holt back there retunring kicks :wacko:

Heap getting his vs. Bengals is a given like Jon Ogden will own Justin Smith but the Bengals D played at least well enough not to be the main reason for a loss vs. Ratbirds last game. They should be able to continue to jam the Rats running game and hopefully limit the 3rd down conversions. Heap gets his and Clayton probably gets some but hold down the rest of the fort and the Bengals D will continue to look improved.

The Ratbird offense is hardly prolific in any event but obviously doesn't need to be. Vs. Steelers they came up with 20 points but only 3 with drives that started in their own territory.

The slugfest on Thursday is going to be between the Bengals offense and the Balti D. Can't have them getting to Palmer the way they grilled Big Bozo today. Bengals got an interesting choice to make for the short week if both Levi and Buckethead are deemed healthy enough to play.