Darrin Simmons needs some recognition

BlainThePain

Look at the special teams during the Lebeau era. They were horrible and some of the worst in the league. Look at what Darrin Simmons has done. He took an undrafted kicker and made him a probowler, he took an undrafted punter and made him a quality starter, and I heard the announcer during the game today say that the Bengals have the top ranked punt team in the league allowing just 5.7 yards a return. Simmons is probably the best coach (not counting Marvin) that we have on the team.

How bout a return game? We are no threat in the return game. Actually i dont think Chris Perry is trying very hard returning kicks. I think he is trying to earn himself out of a job.

We had a return game until Tab got hurt.

Chris is averaging 20 yards a return; Tab was averaging 24 last year (and just 17 before getting hurt this year). For a guy who just got shoved into a role he hasn't done since high school, I think he's doing OK.

How bout a return game? We are no threat in the return game. Actually i dont think Chris Perry is trying very hard returning kicks. I think he is trying to earn himself out of a job.

He had the one nice one he's still new at this...But it can't really be helped with injurys we've had...hell we stuck Keiwan back there because deltha got injured now rat is injured.

Chris is averaging 20 yards a return; Tab was averaging 24 last year (and just 17 before getting hurt this year). For a guy who just got shoved into a role he hasn't done since high school, I think he's doing OK.

Agreed. There's absolutely no reason to bash Chris Perry regarding his kick returning thus far. I think the fumble against Baltimore just further solidified many people's unfounded Perry hate, and the bashing continues even when quite unwarranted.

As for Darrin Simmons, I agree that he doesn't get enough credit. The kick coverage has had a few lapses, but all in all has been good this season. The punt coverage couldn't be any better.

I'll give credit for the incredible coverage teams we've had this season. They've been one of the few very consistently good aspects of this team week in and week out.

However... I don't know how much stock to put into the fact that he has made "undrafted" kicker/punters into great ST's players. I don't want to do the research... but I'd be curious how many kickers and punters in the league are have been drafted. The vast majority of them are undrafted, so it's not really saying much.

Agreed. There's absolutely no reason to bash Chris Perry regarding his kick returning thus far. I think the fumble against Baltimore just further solidified many people's unfounded Perry hate, and the bashing continues even when quite unwarranted.

As for Darrin Simmons, I agree that he doesn't get enough credit. The kick coverage has had a few lapses, but all in all has been good this season. The punt coverage couldn't be any better.

Chris Perry does receive a lot of hatred, but he is a first round draft pick and that is why people hate on him. If he was a 3-7 round pick then you wouldn't see as much hate.