From a Homer...

Tasher

Those stats just show that Justin hustles and makes tackles downfield. How many stops does he make in the backfield? How often does he force the opposing QB to throw the ball away or step up away from pressure on his side. He is a decent player and plays with a great heart, but for the dollars that he may command it is time to let him walk.

Yeah.....but, I still don't think he is our answer........He can't (let alone our whole defense) handle the no-huddle.......didn't you see him out of breath the whole 2nd half?

Thats what happens when the Defense is always on the field....who wasnt out of breath? Uh, maybe the players who weren't hustling ? maybe?

Well take him if you don't want him. :D

Sure, you'll take him on your line....only to later trade him to Denver... :bye:

Those stats just show that Justin hustles and makes tackles downfield. How many stops does he make in the backfield? How often does he force the opposing QB to throw the ball away or step up away from pressure on his side. He is a decent player and plays with a great heart, but for the dollars that he may command it is time to let him walk.

Not Very often. QB has allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll day :angry:

OK. So...what are you going to do with all those dollars you just saved?

I gues we culd re-sign Steinbach, but if there's one thing that gets b*tched about around here more than re-signing Justin, its the idea of investing even more money in the o-line.

Top-tier DE or DT in FA? Betcha a dozen Krispy Kremes that if Justin walks, he'll be at the top of the list. I used to complain regularly about this team's failure to be a player in FA, but that's become less of an issue in recent years because the rapidly expanding salary cap (which will take another big jump to something like $120 million next year) has allowed teams to hang onto their top players. I doubt you'll find much use for Justins money there.

Extend our own players? Who? The o-line is wrapped up, Carson is here through forever, the WRs are all about where they should be, and according to the conventional wisdom we don't have a defensive player worth a crap.

Frankly, it looks to me like spending Justin's dollars on...Justin Smith...is the best course of action they could take, irrespective of whether it makes him "overpaid."

OK. So...what are you going to do with all those dollars you just saved?

I gues we culd re-sign Steinbach, but if there's one thing that gets b*tched about around here more than re-signing Justin, its the idea of investing even more money in the o-line.

Top-tier DE or DT in FA? Betcha a dozen Krispy Kremes that if Justin walks, he'll be at the top of the list. I used to complain regularly about this team's failure to be a player in FA, but that's become less of an issue in recent years because the rapidly expanding salary cap (which will take another big jump to something like $120 million next year) has allowed teams to hang onto their top players. I doubt you'll find much use for Justins money there.

Extend our own players? Who? The o-line is wrapped up, Carson is here through forever, the WRs are all about where they should be, and according to the conventional wisdom we don't have a defensive player worth a crap.

Frankly, it looks to me like spending Justin's dollars on...Justin Smith...is the best course of action they could take, irrespective of whether it makes him "overpaid."

I've been one of the Justin nosginers, but you make an exellent point. It's not that I think he's bad, just not worth what he's gonna command in the offseason market. Cut money elsewhere with the nonexistent Bryan Robinson(i haven't even heard his name since the preseason, and without looking it up, I can't remember him even having a tackle) and possibly someone like Thornton. I don't know any of the contract implications, though. Depending on how the next couple games go, it's close to time to see what young players you can use next year. Is Fanene, Peko, maybe Rucker, or even PS Henderson gonna be an answer next year. IF the playoffs are lost, we have to answer these questions, before we even begin to look at the draft or FA for help.

Thats not true, I have seen J Smooth miss many tackles this season

Almost is not always and no way has he missed "many" :wacko: ! And B Simmons was a decent tackler but is to old now and man I cant tell you how many tackles ive seen that man miss lately (when he can play). D. Jax is a good tackler but ive watched him play like what 3-4 games this year? So maybe he is better based on play in TB. Never been to PB though.

:sure:

Justin's a great end. Geathers is tough too. They need help in the interior line. A strong and fast tackle next to Sam would be incredible. I like that one kid and wish he could get more PT, I can't remember his name, I think its Bobbie.... No it's Shaun Smith.. right? He's shown some really good presence. Hopefully Peko gets more time also.

I'm telling you though, this Defense would be 100% better if we had some LB's healthy and not missing... We can't get Thurman or Pollack back soon enough.

JS maybe the best tackler on our team. Who's better? If he gets his arms on someone they almost never get free. I don't know what peoples issue are with him? Not enough sacks on a schity team? One man can only do so much.

They rather have dwight 1.5 sack and can't stop the run freeney.

Dont want to get off-topic...but just to set the record straight Best Tackler on the team........Dexter Jackson (followed closely by Brian Simmons)

Wrong Tab Perry is!

I am not saying J. Smith is not a decent to good end, I am saying at the money he is probably going to command he is pricing himself out of town. Would I want Justin back at a reasonable price? Sure, but I doubt it, he is going to want more.

Stop looking at stats and watch him play, there is more to prodcutivity than tackles and sacks. I would rather him have 3-4 sacks and get a consistent pass rush or get some hits on the QB. A consistent pass rush, not once a game that leads to a sack. More like 3-5 times a game you see Smith in the backfield causing the QB to get outside the pocket and throw the ball away or for him to rush his throws.

Watch the better ends in the league and you will see, Burgess in Oakland, Strahan with the Giants, Peppers, Bert Berry so on and so forth.

I am not saying J. Smith is not a decent to good end, I am saying at the money he is probably going to command he is pricing himself out of town.

But the point is, he is worth what the market will bear. You can't argue we're over-paying him if there are other teams out there willing to pay him the same. If there is another defense out there willing to spend big money on him, I'm willing to bet he's even more valuable to us. I don't want to think about how bad this defense would be without his consistency on our D-Line this year.

Besides, if we don't use money to re-sign him, what are we going to use it on? We will be way below the cap with nothing of great significance to spend money on. There aren't going to be any DE's better than him in free agency. There aren't many other good players on this defense that need extensions. You could argue for Madieu and Deltha... but they still have years on their contracts, and even if we extend them, there should be plenty to re-sign Justin, as well as enough to get a decent free agent or two and sign our draft picks.

I don't see a downside to re-signing him... including the fact that I think most Bengal fans ridiculously under-value his production.

Once again CB I do agree with your premise on Justin and am glad to know I'm not the only one who sees him for what he is.

Smith's still a tweener and plays like it.

HC - I don't know that it's so much about next year and what you do with Smith's salary figure, but the room you keep for years beyond that.

This team has already overpaid too much for mediocre players that are easily replaceable...including Levi and Bobbie and Brian Simmons and Willie (guy is just not that great anymore and is living on past performance still now that he's on a decent team).

Honestly I'd go defense again in the draft (or 0-line of course depending on what happens) and can see that happening.

Get a DE in FA that better suits your scheme and personnel, draft a 1st round LB, a 2nd round Center, or vice versa, and cut bait with some of the over-priced crap on defense (Simmons, Robinson, Thorton, James).

This defense is terrible ultimately, totally incapable of playing well for more than one week at a time, with a bunch of skinny, under-sized DB's other than Joseph and Dexter (no wonder they can't cover TE's).

The defense needs a lot of tweaking, and less settling for mediocre FA's, and drafting of high ceiling morons who you can't count on.

This team will be fine eventually and have to chalk this season up to a bump in the road - it's hard to be patient, but it's definitely time for another Roster bowel movement on defense in the off-season.

I've seen enough of James, Simmons and Justin for too many years now in particular. Get someone new and let them suck, at least they'll be cheaper and maybe you can afford a difference maker back there at some point.