What Happened?

PhunkE1

I knew this year was going to be a big challenge. We had a cupcake schedule last year, and one of the hardest schedules this year, but the thing that's most disheartening is that thier doesn't seem to be a sense of urgency. I don't want to hear about the bad calls. Their bound to happen to every team at one time or another. It's unfortunate that there's been two bad calls that changed the possible outcome of a game, but good teams get past that. I know the NFL is more volitale than any other professional sport, but what the heck happened? It's obvious that Palmer probably rushed back too soon. His timing is just a tad off. That also can be atributed to the injury's on the O-Line. It just seems like the ball bounced our way last year and now it's bouncing and smacking us right in the nose :chair:

I guess I just wanted to Vent more than anything else.

What went wrong?

Carson hasn't played well this season. Number 1 right there. He is jumpy, is getting pounded and holds the ball too long.

Offensive line was supposed to be the finest in the game.

Too many players who could have helped, aren't dressing. Pollack, Odell, Levi, Henry, Tab.

Anybody care to argue that offseason distractions aren't a problem in November?

Bengals give up too many third down conversions and don't get enough of their own. Our secondary has alot of responsibility here.

Watch Payton and how his receivers can always find each other. There is no excuse for Chad & Carson not winning us ballgames and getting those third down conversions.

This season is slipping away, but all isn't lost. They might still make a run and as sad as they look, they almost beat the Ravens. It really is on Carson's pads to lift this team, I think he can do it.

It's the schedule, folks. Look at what happened to Diego last year when they had a difficult schedule. .

s**t, you basically play the same teams we do, so you basically have 10 games against playoff/bubble teams. It's very hard to win every year, even with a good team. . especially with schedule like that.

Anybody care to argue that offseason distractions aren't a problem in November?

Sure, let's argue.

You start by trying to convince me that the teams poor showing of late is the result of arrests made months or even years ago, and then I'll follow up by recapping recent injuries, the lack of timing that has resulted from those injuries, the blown calls by officials, the strength of schedule, etc.

Fun Fact: I could probably craft a better distraction rant featuring fan favorite Chad Johnson than any of you could using the hated figure of Frostee Rucker.

The bottom line is this. Those of you who still cling to the distraction rant are blatantly guilty of reverse engineering. You've started with an end result that you're determined to work towards and everything that occurs is passed through that filter regardless of if it's relevant or not.

You start by trying to convince me that the teams poor showing of late is the result of arrests made months or even years ago, and then I'll follow up by recapping recent injuries, the lack of timing that has resulted from those injuries, the blown calls by officials, the strength of schedule, etc.

I agree, wth one -- or more precisely, two -- caveats: Odell and Henry. Their "distractions" resulted in them being absent from the field, which has clearly had an impact on the team's poor showing. But the idea that there is some sort of "psychic hangover" or something like that from the Nicholson/Askew/Steinbach etc. incidents is indeed bunkum, IMHO.

I agree, wth one -- or more precisely, two -- caveats: Odell and Henry. Their "distractions" resulted in them being absent from the field, which has clearly had an impact on the team's poor showing. But the idea that there is some sort of "psychic hangover" or something like that from the Nicholson/Askew/Steinbach etc. incidents is indeed bunkum, IMHO.

The loss of Thurman has to be weighed against the level of play produced by his replacements, and while I think O'Dell had an amazing knack for producing turnovers it might be just as true to say that the players who have filled in have been more disciplined and less prone to making major mistakes. All things considered I think it's fair to say that the Bengals haven't missed Thurman very much at all, and adequately replaced him long before the first whistle blew in Kansas City. In my opinion, the loss of a heavily criticized and more unproven David Pollack has hurt much worse as the defense is largely built around the pass rushing Joker role that has been left vacant.

As for Henry, yeah, his 2 game suspension was a distraction. He's also played a huge role in half of the Bengals victories, represents the functioning deep threat the Bengals have in games this year, and IMHO never should have been held out of the New England game that started the Bengals rapid slide towards mediocrity and meltdown.

The loss of Thurman has to be weighed against the level of play produced by his replacements, and while I think O'Dell had an amazing knack for producing turnovers it might be just as true to say that the players who have filled in have been more disciplined and less prone to making major mistakes. All things considered I think it's fair to say that the Bengals haven't missed Thurman very much at all, and adequately replaced him long before the first whistle blew in Kansas City. In my opinion, the loss of a heavily criticized and more unproven David Pollack has hurt much worse as the defense is largely built around the pass rushing Joker role that has been left vacant.

As for Henry, yeah, his 2 game suspension was a distraction. He's also played a huge role in half of the Bengals victories, represents the functioning deep threat the Bengals have in games this year, and IMHO never should have been held out of the New England game that started the Bengals rapid slide towards mediocrity and meltdown.

:sure:

Odell's and Henry's offseason troubles have affected the team in the now, but I wouldn't call them a "distraction." Sure, not having good players on the field will hurt whether it's due to injury or suspension. I really do highly doubt the Bengals have either of those two (or any of the other offseason characters) on their minds when they're dropping interceptions, getting dominated on the line of scrimmage, or whining like little babies about their impacts on the offense.