BALTIMORE LOST TO CAROLINA, WE BEAT 'EM

schnarfer

This team is in no way superior to us and even if we lose, I am not sold on Baltimore. They could have lost 2 games they won. they will get beat at least 4 more times this season and they are a couple of efensive injuries away from being in trouble(as evidence from last year)...We have played 2 common teams. cleveland, in which we dominated and they barely go by and carolina who they should have lost by way more than they did(2 touchdowns off tipped balls) and we beat em. I know I am reaching but I am just putting things in perspective.

Who F*cking Dey

There is no transitive property in the NFL. This is proven by the beating that Baltimore laid to Tampa Bay, but couldn't manage to get a win against the Panthers, when the reverse is true for us.

Baltimore and Cincinnati know each other well as divisional opponents. To look at the out of conference teams who play these two teams once every few years as an indication is probably a waste of time.

I'll look no further than how these game played out last year. Yes... Steve McNair is better than Kyle Boller (seemingly not in production... but in confidence), but we scored 63 on that defense last year. If we get our passing game rolling, it is end of story.

I have a very good friend who is a Raven fan and we spoke about the game last night. In his opinion the key factor in the game is if....(wait for it).....the Bengals can protect Palmer. My amigo claims that the Ravens defense doesn't really change anything they do from game to game, they blitz constantly regardless of which team they're facing, and almost always dominate if their pass rush is effective. When it hasn't been they've either lost or won a game they shouldn't have due to opponents mistakes. (Cleveland & San Diego)

I admit freely that none of the above is groundbreaking news, and the Ravens could easily win the battle simply due to the injuries suffered by the Bengals O-line. But it's just as true that the Bengals familiarity with the Ravens defense could result in better protection for Palmer than we've grown used to.

Ghiaciuc hasn't faced a defense with a heavy all-out blitz since the Patriots and Steelers games. If you'll recall... our pass protection was awful. Hopefully the past two weeks has given Ghiaciuc enough experience to hold down the fort... but I'm not so sure.

I just feel like the Ravens offense is so terrible that we won't have to worry about them scoring a ton... and even with a deadly pass-rush, Palmer has been able to make a few plays in each game. It's not going to be a shoot-out either way... but the O-Line will certainly be a point of interest.

Ghiaciuc hasn't faced a defense with a heavy all-out blitz since the Patriots and Steelers games. If you'll recall... our pass protection was awful. Hopefully the past two weeks has given Ghiaciuc enough experience to hold down the fort... but I'm not so sure.

I just feel like the Ravens offense is so terrible that we won't have to worry about them scoring a ton... and even with a deadly pass-rush, Palmer has been able to make a few plays in each game. It's not going to be a shoot-out either way... but the O-Line will certainly be a point of interest.

Good point......that 35 points they scored on the Saints was not a solid 35 pts....it was very hollow. 2 Defensive TDs and the other times the Offense scored, the D created turnovers which led to short drives for TDs.

Carson hasn't thrown a INT in 3 games.... Rudi rarely fumbles. So if we dont turn it over we should be fine. Our offense will score enough for us to win.

Bengals 23 Ravens 16.

I just feel like the Ravens offense is so terrible that we won't have to worry about them scoring a ton...

I'd agree, but I do think the Ravens have enough of a running game to threaten us on defense... The defensive line will have to step it up against a questionable Baltimore O-line, and the linebackers had better play fundamentally sound football more than they have thus far this season. Otherwise, I'm not sure how many opportunities Palmer will get with Jamal Lewis and Mike Anderson chewing up the clock all game long.

Read Bill Simmons recent colum on ESPN.com. I'll give you the jist of what he ways about the Bengals/Ravens game

Not an exact wuote

"Remember at the end of happy Gilmore, where he has to putt through 25 different things to win. I'm waiting for the equivilant to that happen with a Steve McNair pass"

Sorry, it was funnier when he typed it :lol:

I just feel like the Ravens offense is so terrible that we won't have to worry about them scoring a ton...

I'd agree, but I do think the Ravens have enough of a running game to threaten us on defense... The defensive line will have to step it up against a questionable Baltimore O-line, and the linebackers had better play fundamentally sound football more than they have thus far this season. Otherwise, I'm not sure how many opportunities Palmer will get with Jamal Lewis and Mike Anderson chewing up the clock all game long.

Baltimore is averaging 3.5 yards/carry and getting only 100 yards a game. That isn't elite. We've been decent against the run this year (except in the New England game). Even in the Falcons game we held them significantly below their average.

Despite the 3rd ranked defense, Baltimore's TOP still isn't all that staggering. Their offense, especially the running game, just isn't good enough to really make us pay or keep Carson off the field. (by the way... 3 of their 5 wins have come against the 32nd, 31st, and 30th ranked offenses).

The only thing we really need to worry about is Ghiaciuc and the blitz. I really believe that... but that being said, I think it's a fairly important thing to be worried about. If they get to Palmer often like the New England and Pittsburgh games, I doubt we'll pull out a win.

I'd say the run defense was horrible against Pittsburgh as well as New England, and it wasn't very good against Atlanta (had Vick not had such a great game through the air, I think they'd have been closer to their rushing average) or Tampa Bay. The Ravens have indeed had some struggles running the ball, but they did find some rythm there last week against the Saints. Sadly, I think our defense could be just what the doctor ordered for Baltimore's running game.

I think the D-line will do a sufficient job of restricting running lanes, but the linebackers will have to do their part... I'm not as confident in that proposition as I'd like to be.