Are we too beat up to beat the Pissburgh Sqeelers?

kayaker0678

Actually, I'm less worried about the o-line than I am about the continuing injuries at WR. We are too thin there for my tastes, especially if TJ is out again. And he has a history of taking a long time to heal.

Defense should be fine. Jackson is the only notable loss, and the Steelers aren't a team that wins through the air.

This all depends on how our defensive line plays. If they show up, put pressure on Ben to force throws and hold the run so that it doesn't carry their offense, we win the game. I say less than 65 yards with only 1 rushing TD for the steelers and we'll win the game.

Our secondary can not get beat deep, inluding those trickery plays. Huge gains off those plays absolutely demoralized the defense and we can't afford for that to happen. I've got faith in KK to hold us down at safety. Jeanty has looked pretty darn good up to date and hopefully has another big game.

I feel like we have just enough depth to pull this one out.

Our secondary can not get beat deep, inluding those trickery plays. Huge gains off those plays absolutely demoralized the defense and we can't afford for that to happen.

On that subject, I was wondering where the gadget plays were Monday night. Over the last couple of years -- basically since Ben took over -- it seemed to me that gimmick plays were more of a staple of its O than any other team's. Whenever they get stuck with straightforward plays, like against the Jags, they've never hesisitated to throw some curve balls. And I was surprised that they never did against the Jags.

It's occured to me since then that their two biggest gadget threats, Bettis and Randel El, are gone, which may well be why they stuck to the conventional playbook. If so, while the Bengals always need to watch for the trick play, it may not have the impact it's had before.

On that subject, I was wondering where the gadget plays were Monday night. Over the last couple of years -- basically since Ben took over -- it seemed to me that gimmick plays were more of a staple of its O than any other team's. Whenever they get stuck with straightforward plays, like against the Jags, they've never hesisitated to throw some curve balls. And I was surprised that they never did against the Jags.

It's occured to me since then that their two biggest gadget threats, Bettis and Randel El, are gone, which may well be why they stuck to the conventional playbook. If so, while the Bengals always need to watch for the trick play, it may not have the impact it's had before.

I absolutely agree with this assessment. In fact, where has this been all year? Ward and CWilson are the only guys they have the ability to perform this role, and nowhere near the level of the guys that are gone. I think you will see less of this all year. Of course they'll try the occassional reverse, but that also will be to Ward. In the end, less to be concerned with, which allows you to concentrate on the run and pass. I think that is what you are seeing defenses do already.

While all the injuries are a concern, it is more a concern for the early part of the season and consistency. If we keep getting dinged, then it grows bigger as a problem.

I don't see it as too much of a problem for this week, because the depth is there. We do not have any margin for error, however. That is the biggest concern. I do not see a drop off overall on this team as you go down our depth chart.

Difference is that our entire saftey corp was gone (williams and herring) forcing all the backups to start. The LB corp is missing Pollack and Thurman, but I do not think that Jeanty is a drop, he may even be more consistent. Maybe not the highest highs that Pollack could give us, but how frequenty have we actually benefited from that ON THE FIELD? (Not to know Pollack, I love the guy and want him back as soon as possible, revisit getting Williams back at saftey this year for what Pollack gives us next year.) So I think the defense stands up to Pit and will not give up over 100 yds rushing and will put better clamps on the passing game.

Our Offense is where we stand out. Rudi will run the ball and that will be the key to the game.

:bengal: