Jamal Lewis out for two weeks.

Baltimore Ravens running back Jamal Lewis will sit out the next two weeks because of a nagging hip injury.

Lewis has been bothered by a strained left hip flexor. He began training camp on the physically-unable-to-perform list after injuring himself running sprints in late July, but played in the first two preseason games.

Against New York and Philadelphia, he totaled 65 yards on 15 carries.

But the former NFL Offensive Player of the Year continued to complain about recurring soreness in his hip and quadriceps. Now, he'll be sidelined until the practice week heading into the Ravens' Sept. 10 season opener at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, coach Brian Billick said.

"Jamal has had a good camp so far. Medically, it's prudent at this point to give him a chance to fully rehab it and get the last bit of soreness -- whatever is going on in there -- out," Billick said. "Between now and the beginning of the season that's what our focus is going to be. We're giving him two weeks to get the proper rehab and crank it up for Tampa Bay."

Lewis emphasized after Thursday's 20-10 win over the Philadelphia Eagles that he hadn't experienced a setback, but said he was still in pain and not at full strength.

"It isn't all the way gone," Lewis said. "I'm still dealing with the injury and soreness, but it's not so bad that I can't play. It's just something I have to work through."

Meanwhile, nine-time All-Pro offensive tackle Jonathan Ogden was activated from the physically-unable-to-perform list after missing the entire training camp following his father's death.

His teammates played a joke on him during his first snap back on the field, telling him the wrong snap count. The 6-foot-9, 340-pound lineman was clearly amused, shaking his head and smiling.

For Ogden, it just felt good to play football, and laugh again.

"I'm just trying to remember my dad the best way we can, remember the good times, try not to let it affect you because life goes on," Ogden said. "I'm trying to focus on football and do the best I can."

Entering his 11th season, Ogden acknowledged that he did briefly ponder retirement after Shirrel Ogden passed away two days before camp began.

"I thought about it for a second, but I think my dad would want me to come out and play as best I can this year, so that's what I'm going to do," Ogden said. "Who knows after this year or next year? I know this year I'm going to try to do what I'm used to doing.

"A lot of the guys came to the funeral, which is nice. They are extended family to me, a lot of them, so it's really helpful being back around here."

IMO Jamal is the best player on the Ravens offense & the Ravens are going to most likely lose their first game if he is not in.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/BAL/9609817

With that offensive line, I doubt any running back on that team will be very effective. Jamal has been pretty disappointing the last two seasons, and I expect that trend to continue. Anderson doesn't have that shiny cut-blocking Bronco line in front of him anymore, so who knows what to expect from him.