2007 Draft.

I know it's to early but im board out of my mind right now. :bored: Anyway I'd like to see the Bengals take Quentin Moses or LaRon Landry in the 1rst round of the 2007 draft. That would be awsome!

Who Dey!!! :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Top DEs

1. Gaines Adams Clemson 6-5 260 4.75

2. Quentin Moses Georgia 6-5 250 4.75

3. Tim Crowder Texas 6-4 270 4.70

4. LaMarr Woodley Michigan 6-2 274 4.75

5. Victor Abiamiri Notre Dame 6-4 260 4.60

6. Adam Carriker Nebraska 6-6 295 4.85

Top S

1. LaRon Landry L.S.U. 6-2 204 4.45

2. Michael Griffin Texas 6-0 205 4.50

3. Brandon Meriweather Miami (FL) 6-0 188 4.55

I want Carriker AND Landry. I think next year should be the year we move up in the draft and go for a couple top talents. If we drafted Carriker, I'd like to see him at end on running downs and inside on passing downs. Let the lineup be something like Carriker and B-Rob at ends and Adams and Shaun Smith inside on running downs and then Pollack and Geathers at end and Carriker and Peko on the inside during passing downs. I think that would be a scary rotation and imagine all of the beef keeping the blockers off of Brooks, Thurman, and Pollack on running downs. Nobody would be able to run inside on us and with Landry and Madieu at safety, we could shut down most of the sweeps and tosses.

Top DEs

1. Gaines Adams Clemson 6-5 260 4.75

2. Quentin Moses Georgia 6-5 250 4.75

3. Tim Crowder Texas 6-4 270 4.70

4. LaMarr Woodley Michigan 6-2 274 4.75

5. Victor Abiamiri Notre Dame 6-4 260 4.60

6. Adam Carriker Nebraska 6-6 295 4.85

Top S

1. LaRon Landry L.S.U. 6-2 204 4.45

2. Michael Griffin Texas 6-0 205 4.50

3. Brandon Meriweather Miami (FL) 6-0 188 4.55

eh only looks like 1 DE ment for the 3-4 but stat wise seems nice.

I want Carriker AND Landry. I think next year should be the year we move up in the draft and go for a couple top talents. If we drafted Carriker, I'd like to see him at end on running downs and inside on passing downs. Let the lineup be something like Carriker and B-Rob at ends and Adams and Shaun Smith inside on running downs and then Pollack and Geathers at end and Carriker and Peko on the inside during passing downs. I think that would be a scary rotation and imagine all of the beef keeping the blockers off of Brooks, Thurman, and Pollack on running downs. Nobody would be able to run inside on us and with Landry and Madieu at safety, we could shut down most of the sweeps and tosses.

If we go 3-4 I think we need all our draft picks staying 4-3 we probbley could aford to trade up some but with alrdy not having a 3rd don't might make it unlikely...seems like a good idea though but I think peko will be getting time on running downs and passing over shaun

OTOH, it could be a good year to trade down and add a 3rd rounder like maybe Dan Bazuin who looked like more of a fit as a 3-4 OLB than a 4-3 DE. He's got a lot of quickness and leg strength but lacks the upper body strength right now to be an all-downs 4-3 DE. Enough pieces are in place for at least more 3-4 consideration in the draft at OLB and Bazuin looked capable of making the transition physically.

Carriker seems like a good fit overall though. Even if the Bengals stay 4-3, Carriker gives them a DE at least the size of B-Rob who can also kick inside. Should they go 3-4, Carriker is ready made for DE. Baraka Atkins would be another of the same type.

But it comes to trading up, I'd like to see it for an impact player like Lawrence Jackson who definitely fits the DE/DT bill in the NFL he he opts out early.

Carriker seems like a good fit overall though. Even if the Bengals stay 4-3, Carriker gives them a DE at least the size of B-Rob who can also kick inside. Should they go 3-4, Carriker is ready made for DE. Baraka Atkins would be another of the same type.

But it comes to trading up, I'd like to see it for an impact player like Lawrence Jackson who definitely fits the DE/DT bill in the NFL he he opts out early.

It should be fun watching Carriker and Jackson during the USC/Nebraska game this weekend. My flag is firmly planted in Camp DE/DT and my pimp hand is ready to slap happy for Carriker. A man amongst boys, says I.

Screw all TE's. :lol:

Yeah that's got to be the showcase of D-line prospects so far this year. Not sure if both Carriker and Jackson will be kicked down to DT some or all the time but I'd like to see Carriker have to face off vs. Sam Baker at end some.

As good as that one could be, perhaps the best DE prospect Gaines Adams plays at 7:45 on ESPN when Clemson takes on Fla St.

I'm still liking DE in the 1st for Bengals but have been tracking some weakside LBs for after that. So far I've liked what I saw out of Quinton Culberson of Miss St. He primarily played MLB but looks a lot like Dqwell Jackson and has played both CB and S in his football years.

It should be fun watching Carriker and Jackson during the USC/Nebraska game this weekend. My flag is firmly planted in Camp DE/DT and my pimp hand is ready to slap happy for Carriker. A man amongst boys, says I.

Screw all TE's. :lol:

Carriker played way too high and soft vs. USC. Gott agive him credit for playing the whole game but anytime he went up vs. Sam Baker he got his a$$ completely kicked. The USC RT fared almost as well and even the TE didn't have much problem handling Carriker. He's got great frame and isn't a waste of space, but he didn't look like an impact player at the next level -- more like a 3rd than 1st rounder.

Lawrence Jackson actually looked a little slower of the snap than last year and heavier in the thighs. Still, he's outsnading in all facets of DE play and kicked down some at DT. I'd say Jackson is a 1st rounder -- the later the better.

By far, though, Gaines Adamas is the best DE prospect IMO. He's got Freak written all over him even though he got the standstill treatment a couple times last night by the Fla State LT Mario Henderson.

I'd rate the DEs as:

1. Gaines Adams

2. Quentin Mose

3. Lawrence Jackson

4. Baraka Atkins

5. Victor Abiamira

Others I like what I've seen of are Ray McDonald of Florida and Turk McBride of Tenn who plays mostly DT.

Carriker played way too high and soft vs. USC. Gott agive him credit for playing the whole game but anytime he went up vs. Sam Baker he got his a$$ completely kicked. The USC RT fared almost as well and even the TE didn't have much problem handling Carriker. He's got great frame and isn't a waste of space, but he didn't look like an impact player at the next level -- more like a 3rd than 1st rounder.

Lawrence Jackson actually looked a little slower of the snap than last year and heavier in the thighs. Still, he's outsnading in all facets of DE play and kicked down some at DT. I'd say Jackson is a 1st rounder -- the later the better.

By far, though, Gaines Adamas is the best DE prospect IMO. He's got Freak written all over him even though he got the standstill treatment a couple times last night by the Fla State LT Mario Henderson.

Here's my take.

USC began the game using lots of double teaming on Carriker and he wore down much quicker than I expected. In short order the double team disappeared and it rartely returned, but it had done it's job as Carriker never stepped up his game. His aggression was effectively stunted and his body language screamed fatique...making me question the conditioning of a player who doesn't appear to be carrying a pound of extra weight. As for playing too high, well that is the greatest risk associated with a defensive lineman who might be too tall. Beat them with regularity and get higher and higher and higher. Remarkably, late in the game USC went so far as to attempt having a TE routinely block Carriker single handidly....resulting in repeated illegal blocking penalties against the Trojans. Those penalties were just about it when it came to Carriker making plays that night. All and all, a very disappointing showing for Carriker.

As for Jackson, I think he's still fighting his way through a couple of nagging leg injuries. Regardless, he didn't flash the pop and explosion that I'm used to seeing.

Finally, Gaines Adams reminds me less of the Freak and more of....wait for it.....Frostee Rucker. Well coached and technically sound Adams does everything well but never really turned the corner and attacked the QB with anything more than fairly average closing speed. To be fair, the announcers said before the game that Adams was playing sick, and was fighting a high temp...so I'll stop here.

Last, just this afternoon I heard Mel Kiper pimp Carriker and Adams as likely top 10 draft picks.

I didn't see Carriker get doubled more than a handful of times at DE and those were after they got him away from Sam Baker and on the other sider where there usually was a TE to either block or chip on the way out. Looked like most of the doubles went inside to Ola Dagundaro at DT and even Carriker got doubled inside once that I noticed. The Huskers were kept in the game early no thanks to Carriker but more so because of their OLB Stewart Bradley, who I found to be more interesting to watch than the treadmill Carriker was on. I just didn't see the strength, the burst, the moves, the pursuit and overall just the energy that would make me think Carriker is an impact player. However, teams will no doubt love his frame, especially for 3-4 DE. He did show some agility in his ability to get up to disrupt the pass despite the lack of push in the rush and also I noticed him drop back fairly well into coverage on a zone blitz in the 3rd Q -- and that latter aspect will improve his stock considerably among 3-4 teams if he consistently shows he can do it with range and open field skills.

Lawrence Jackson troubled me a bit but not too much because there's still that explosion to the ball that marks his aggressive play. He asked to come out a couple times so maybe the concerns are just conditioning related and not about him getting caught as a 4-3 DT/DE tweener and primarily viewed as a 3-4 DE.

As for Gaines Adams, I really see next to no silimarity between him and the do-nothing-well Frostee Fruckee. The skills set are a whole world of difference between the 2. Adams is on the verge of 3-4 OLB skills, which our new Mr. Inactive will never be accused of. He looks a lot more like Freak than Fruck in how well he gets penetration, not just pass rush but from either end as well as 3-man front DE for tackles for loss. Adams should see himself more situated in the Top 5 as the year goes on if teams view him as both an impact 4-3 DE and a potential 3-4 OLB or 4-3 SSLB convert. The only real similarity I see between Adams and Fruck would be the lack of upper body strength. I haven't seen where Adams is doing the Frostee Rucker backpedal yet getting pushed off the line but he was unquestionably stood up a couple times by Mario Henderson and locked there. That strength limitation might not be viewed so important from his draft standpoint though because he can get stronger up top and besides has the footwork to free himself before getting locked up for the most part.

And Mel Kiper is still picking drafts? I would've thought they had sh#tcanned him by now.

Are our team needs now different with the potential loss of Odell?

:P

Probably will be a top three need if they don't resign Simmons.

Simmons is signed through '08.

Still, LB is arguably a day 1 need right now. Odell just went one toke over the line, and whether he can clean up his act and return -- and whether Marvin cares -- is an open question. Pollack is in a halo and while his prognosis is good, you never know with neck injuries. Even if he does come back as now expected, who knows at what percent? And even if he comes back at 100%, it's year 3 of his NFL career and he *still* hasn't made the transition from college DE to LB. Throw in the fact that even exempting the neck injury he has been plauged by injury, and Pollack is one big question mark.

The wild card is Brooks. They effectively already used a day 1 pick on a LB when they grabbed him in the supplemental draft. IF he shows some promise this year then they may hope for the best. If not, look for an LB in the first couple picks.

I really don't want 1st or 2nd rnd LB inless a freak falls to us our depth looks fine aslong as we resign landon and caleb....

SSLB Jeanty-pollack(should know by draft day if we plan having him

MLB-simmons-Brooks-Aj

WSLB landon- Caleb

Though you don't know odell could be back next year,I wonder if he did return if they work him at wslb and just give mlb to brooks? who knows.

I really don't want 1st or 2nd rnd LB inless a freak falls to us our depth looks fine aslong as we resign landon and caleb....

SSLB Jeanty-pollack(should know by draft day if we plan having him

MLB-simmons-Brooks-Aj

WSLB landon- Caleb

Though you don't know odell could be back next year,I wonder if he did return if they work him at wslb and just give mlb to brooks? who knows.

You know, Brooks played Strong Side in college... just look at his size. What do you think that all this does to any possibility that we switch to a 3-4 base? Now we potentially lose 2 of the top talents depth wise so we would undoubtedly would have to draft at least ONE LB and we need 3-4 DEs, not to mention another safety, TE, etc. etc.

Oh, and we have already used our 3rd round pick...

<_<

Brooks may prove to be the Bengals starting middle backer iof the future but odds are more likely he's best suited for SSLB and 3rd down rusher in a 4-3. Of course if all he's going to show is what he did on the 4th and goal vs. the Steelers, they might as well fit him with a skirt and pom poms.

I'd hope they'd go as versatile and as late as possible with a LB pick. Possibles there between Rounds 4 and 7 would be Justin Warren-Tx A&M, Quinton Culberson-Miss St., Prescott Burgess Mich St., Korey Hall-Boise St., Stewart Bradley-Nebraska.

I like Culberson in the 4th or 5th. If Brandon Siler enters early, he'd be a great fit but probably would require the Bengals 2nd at the latest.

I'm thinking 2 DEs w/ the 1st 2 picks. Justin is probably gone, B-Rob is just about done and Frostee Frucker is a longshot. That pretty much leaves Jumpy Jr as the sole returner. And Pollack as the 3rd down speed rusher could be a sight never seen again, leaving Jeanty to fill that which does not seem like it's near enough. Hopefulkly the Bengals are grooming Brooks for this since he did rush down as a 4th D-lineman as a 3-4 OLB at UVA.

Dan Bazuin and LaMarr Woodley are about the quickest off the edge I've seen but both look better suited as SSLB and situational pass rushers. Of those 2, Woodley looks more like a late 1st round draft choice and Bazuin a 2nd rounder.

Adams, Moses and Jackson should be gone by the time the Bengals pick in the 1st and the rest of the truer DE crop like Carriker, Atkins, Abiamira and Crowder is probably more 2nd round material.

I'd say:

1. Woodley

2. Atkins

Fanene and probably Eric Henderson. Both got about the same experience and both would be DE/DT types which Marv has kept 2 of since he came to Cincy.

So Jumpy Jr., Rucker, Fanene and Henderson as the DE corps and Jeanty and Brooks as the SSLB.

Still looks like a pass rushing DE/SSLB would be tops on the list and Woodley fits that well.

And an every down DE like Justin....well at least an approximation of him...in the 2nd. I like Atkins but there's another DE that's more of an every down type who might draw consideration as a 2nd rounder -- C.J. Ah You. He's extremely quick off the snap, keeps contain well, sheds blocker easily, has decent backside pursuit and is thick enough to collapse inside vs. run. But there would be a question as to whether he's got the overall pursuit speed needed to play weakside end.