All-time Bengals - Running Backs

Kirkendall

Next on the Bengals all-time team discussion comes with running backs. Of course you have Corey Dillon and James Brooks, but older fans may argue Pete Johnson or the Boobster. Either way, we'll have another poll tomorrow on the RBs.

Also, don't forget to vote in the QB poll; it closes tonight. Don't let your vote go unaccounted for, have a voice and vote! (does that sound like a politican or what?)

Anyway, I hate to say it, but I think Corey is my pick; he should be given incredible consideration.

Considering that teams usually carry 5 running backs on thier rosters, 3 runningbacks, and 2 fullbacks;then my 5 are..

1. Corey Dillon-----------all time leading rusher

2. James Brooks--------all time leader in yards from scrimmage

3. Stanford Jennings-----need someone to play special teams

4. Pete Johnson------good pass blocker and runner

5. Larry Kinnebrew-----best short yardage runner in team history.

No..??? I think he only took over the all time leader in yards rushing.....Brooks had like 6000+ yards rushing, and 3000+ yards receiving... I think it's close, but Brooks still has the lead I think.

After checking with the Cincy' stats , from '84-'91. Brooks is the all time leader in total yards, from scrimmage.

Rushing,receiving,passing,and return yardage=9875.

Dillon , same total stats =9729. :P

I'm going with James Brooks. My choice is not based on Stats but rather intangibles. I still have fond memories or Brooks slashing and dashing through the line. He was part of a winning team which also brings back fond memories, hence, he was a winner. I even had the pleasure of seeing him in the pro-bowl in 1991 I believe. I get no sour tastes in my mouth when I think of what Brooks did for the Bengals. When you consider the intangibles. Brooks is the man!! :D

Considering that teams usually carry 5 running backs on thier rosters, 3 runningbacks, and 2 fullbacks;then my 5 are..

1. Corey Dillon-----------all time leading rusher

2. James Brooks--------all time leader in yards from scrimmage

3. Stanford Jennings-----need someone to play special teams

4. Pete Johnson------good pass blocker and runner

5. Larry Kinnebrew-----best short yardage runner in team history.

Have to agree. I've seen the first three play but not the last two, so same as my QB vote; if older wiser heads say an older bengal was the daddy, who am i to argue?. I can't believe Ickey doesn't make the list! Maybe if he'd played more years?

5 years from now I hope we all have Rudi on our lists. I'd much rather have a great athlete and person represent our team than a burger flipping bozo like CD... Unfortunately he's been one of our best. JB will always top my list though. All around top notch RB. I always think of the tape of him running the steps at Riverfront for training. The guy was small, but tough as they come.

1. Corey Dillon

Team leader in so many categories. Former NFL record holder for yds per game by a rookie and yds per game. Should make the HOF if he stays healthy for a few more years. The best of a bad period in Bengal history. Too bad he is the way he is.

2. James Brooks

Underrated player league wide. Was a dangerous weapon each time he touched the ball. His intensity and desire are legendary. Took one day of during offseason before starting workouts for next season.

3. Pete Johnson

Big bruising back in the classic Paul Brown style. Good runner for big guy and good on screens. Reminds me of Jerome Bettis.

4. Ickey Woods

Forget about the Shuffle. This guy was a great slashing runner that had size and quickness. I would have liked to see this guy for 5 or 8 healthy years. Reminds me of Jamal Lewis. Maybe not as muscular but a little quicker. Injured knee and was never the same after that. One of the great injustices is that he did not win the Rookie of the Year in 1988. He was beaten by John Stephens of NE. Ickey had 15 TDs and around 1000 yds while Stephens had 1100(?) yds and only 4 TDs. The Bengals really started to roll when Ickey began playing in midseason which was a great counterpunch to James Brooks.

Can any "older (than me) timers" tell me about Paul Robinson? He was AFL Rookie of the Year in 1968 with 1023 yds and played a few more years for the Bengals but was gone by the early 70s. Did he get injured? My earliest memories are of Essex Johnson, Boobie Clark and Doug Dressler in the backfield.

A few others that didn't quite measure up:

Kijana Carter

The Bengals passed on Tony Boselli to take Carter with the first pick in 1995 (after passing on Marshall Faulk to take Big Daddy in 94) and he was injured during his first preseason game vs. Lions. He did have a knack of scoring TDs from short yardage later in his career but was replaced by Corey Dillon as every-down back.

Archie Griffin

No way to ever live up to the expectation of two Heismans. Was a good back but never made the impact he had while in college.

Harold Green

Was a solid back in the early 90's but never seemed to enjoy playing. I think he moved on after Kijana Carter was drafted.

Despite Dillion's latest childish acts, I still have to go with Dillion #1. When Dillion is on his game, he cant be stopped. He has good field vision, a great cut back runner, he has the power to run over people, and tremendous break away speed. I remember when the Bengals played the Chargers in San Diego. Dillion got the ball, ran straight up the gut, and for a split second, it was Rodney Harrison, and CD one on one...............................Dillion plowed Harrison right in his chest. I mean he just ran over the guy. That was nasty! He would have kept going if he didnt trip over Harrison's carcas.

Brooks is #2.

I liked Harold Greeen and didnt think he was a disapointment at all. Also we really did have a horrible OLINE with him too.

All I meant was that Green had some good seasons but was unable to keep them from drafting Kijana and then letting him go. And you are correct too that the O-Line did suck.

#1-James Brooks-What a joy to watch. He was so shifty. I once had a 5 minute conversation with him and didn't understand 1 thing he said. Now that's shifty!

#2-Icky Woods-His TD dances still bring a smile to my face. Another nice guy that would spend a moment or two talking with a fan. Too bad his career was cut short.

#3-Corey Dillon-Lick my ass you s**t bag! I hope you rot in hell! :huh: