Deal to be done soon?

JBrooks

This is from Clayton's Quick hits today (ESPN.com):

March 24, 2004

Guard play

Talks between the Bengals and Eagles guard Bobbie Williams are heating up. Five teams are talking to Williams, but Williams would like to work a deal with the Bengals. After losing Warren Sapp to Oakland, the Bengals would like to land a free agent before the start of the owners meetings next week in West Palm Beach, Fla.

Something to keep an eye on.

I don't think he's better, and there are questions surrounding him (like 8 sacks of McNabb in the GB playoff game), but I don't think we can compare him to a guy we don't have any more.

If he's an upgrade from what we have, I say get him and open up another draft choice.

Thanks for the update. I would have thought we would want a top-notch guard such as Ruben Brown to protect Palmer. Not sure if we can get a starter in the draft or after June 1. Seems like a possible waste of dosch to pick up williams but will keep the faith that Lewis sees something of value. Could spell the end for Koostra or Levya. (not sure on the spelling of those two)

http://www.nflplayers.com/players_network/...=stats&ID=28812

Stats on Williams. An interesting point I noticed, is if you pull up McNabbs stats from last year and compare the Sacks vs. when Williams started the game, he was sacked like 24 times. HMMMMMM.....

Maybe not a true indicator, just food for thought...

WHODEY !!!

I did some rooting around on the board over at the f2f iggles site, concretefield.com (guess they're gonna have to change that to implodedfield.com now :lol: ). The consensus seems to be that last year was his first big shot (thanks to injury, not his, the guy ahead of him) and results were mixed (which probably ought to be expected). I found this thread:

http://www.concretefield.com/board/index.p...y;threadid=9944

With this evaluation:

I hope Bobbie Williams stays. I thought he did good blocking for running plays. It seemed he could use some work pass blocking. From what I could see on tape, he got beat more than a few times, but did well at times also. He's a big body that can blast some holes when he gets his forward momentum going.

Sounds like he's good news for Rudi but bad new for Carson. But you could also argue the best way to protect the rookie is to get a run game going so he doesn't have to do much beyond hand the ball off (hey, it worked for Balti!).

Ruben is still out there. Must be asking more than the market will bare. Seen the latest comment from Williams? The guy obviously wants to be in Buffalo. Which is another testiment to how the Bengals recruit players. You take surperlatives that fall outside of the salary cap such as "wine and dine" private jets, ect. Items that come right out of Brown's pocket. Forget about it. Still cracks me up when you think about "my precious" :lol: These guys got big egos and want to be treated as such. Peanuts in the grand scheme of things but try and convince Mikey its money well spent.

Ruben is still out there. Must be asking more than the market will bare. Seen the latest comment from Williams? The guy obviously wants to be in Buffalo. Which is another testiment to how the Bengals recruit players. You take surperlatives that fall outside of the salary cap such as "wine and dine" private jets, ect. Items that come right out of Brown's pocket. Forget about it. Still cracks me up when you think about "my precious" :lol: These guys got big egos and want to be treated as such. Peanuts in the grand scheme of things but try and convince Mikey its money well spent.

They must have done a pretty good job of recruiting because Bobbie Williams just agreed to terms with the Bengals.