Gil Brandt's look at 2007

Just to recap a lost post, the 'zone Mock Draft Database has been updated. There are 16 preliminary first round picks; only two have more than one "vote."

TE Greg Olsen 3

DT Quinn Pitcock 2

Positionally, the voting breaks down as:

TE 4

DE 4

DT 4

OT 2

S 1

QB 1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to recap a lost post, the 'zone Mock Draft Database has been updated. There are 16 preliminary first round picks; only two have more than one "vote."

TE Greg Olsen 3

DT Quinn Pitcock 2

TE 4

DE 4

DT 4

OT 2

S 1

QB 1

Thanks, I was hoping you would repost this. In fact, I was going to request the names of the remaining eleven prospects who received only one vote....if it isn't too much trouble.

BTW, didja move back to the hinterland? :lol:

Got out before the bubble completely pops in Joisey, which it's seriously in the process of doing. Am now comfortably ensconsed in the greater Chicago metro area (taxes are way lower in Indiana vs. Illinois).

You can see all the names so far on the database page -- http://www.bengalszone.com/mockdrafts.php

Several have been mentioned by Schweiny: Atkins, Carricker, Bazuin, Jarret. Not much more than a ""to watch" list at this point, of course.

Oh oh I like Joe Newton for our future TE ^_^ from oregon and a stud receiver 6'7 :P

I can dream!

Yeah him or Greg Olsen from Miami.

HEY I CAN DREAM TOO! :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, another month, and a few more projections dribble in, while a few other pick new names. As of today's update of the mock draft database, we have 20 preliminary 2007 drafts. Once again, only two players have more than one vote -- but this time, DT Quinn Pitcock falls into the 1-vote morass while a new face, that of Arizona State TE Zach Miller, charges into a tie for the lead.

TE Zach Miller 3 (+3)

TE Greg Olsen 3 (no change)

TE 6 (+2)

DE 4 (no change)

DT 4 (no change)

OT 3 (+1)

S 2 (+1)

QB 1 (no change)

Well, another month, and a few more projections dribble in, while a few other pick new names. As of today's update of the mock draft database, we have 20 preliminary 2007 drafts. Once again, only two players have more than one vote -- but this time, DT Quinn Pitcock falls into the 1-vote morass while a new face, that of Arizona State TE Zach Miller, charges into a tie for the lead.

TE Zach Miller 3 (+3)

TE Greg Olsen 3 (no change)

TE 6 (+2)

DE 4 (no change)

DT 4 (no change)

OT 3 (+1)

S 2 (+1)

QB 1 (no change)

Okay, so now I have a really important question. Has anyone looked back at the the mock drafts for 2006 (or 05, 04 for that matter) to see if ANY draft was even close to accurate on order, personnel by round or picks by team (even if not in the correct round)? That is what I want to know. Which mock was the most accurate in projecting the BENGALS' selections? Did anyone have us picking a CB, let alone Joseph, then OL, etc...

Cause last year we said it would be a S, DT or TE and 2 of those three positions did not show up in the draft class at all (well, Kilmer, but he was not drafted as a S but as a ST role player).

Cause I am thinking that TE might not be a very high priority even this coming year in the draft. Just my thoughts... FWIW.

BTW can Miller or Olsen BLOCK? Cause I like both those guys alot! :lol:

Okay, so now I have a really important question. Has anyone looked back at the the mock drafts for 2006 (or 05, 04 for that matter) to see if ANY draft was even close to accurate on order, personnel by round or picks by team (even if not in the correct round)? That is what I want to know. Which mock was the most accurate in projecting the BENGALS' selections? Did anyone have us picking a CB, let alone Joseph, then OL, etc...

thehuddlereport.com is one site I know of that does a mock draft accuracy tracker, mostly to brag about how great they are how kiper sucks, etc., but they have put that (as well as about everything else) in their pay section now. If I run across another I'll post a link.

Methinks it's a matter of time before center surfaces on those mocks via the humongous Kyle Young. He's got a pad level problem from time to time and gets pried backwards a bit now and again but he should definitely be on the radar for teams that rely more on power blocking in the run and man blocking on 3-4 NTs in pass.

Personally, I would not be too high on drafting a center that high. Ghiaucic has looked the part so far on the ops he has had and should develop into a decent starting center. As much as I think that Buckethead could make it to Jerry Fontenot age, time is just not on Mr. Braham's side and the routine of losing him for games at a time does not wear well on what the team needs to have in place to ensure its offense is maximized.

But no Steiny next year and it's down to Bluto, maybe Ben Wilkerson and the fossilizing Buckethead. Which is why I'm liking a nasty vicious bastage like Scott Stephenson from Iowa State on Day 2. He's got good size, quicks and likes to keep drive blocking downfield after the play is blown dead.

• 3 weeks later...

Seemed like a good day to update the mock draft database.

We're up to 21 preliminary 2007 drafts. TEs Miller and Olsen both gain a vote and stay tied for the lead, while a favorite of this board, DE Adam Carriker, breaks out of the one-vote club.

TE Zach Miller 4 (+1)

TE Greg Olsen 4 (+1)

DE Adam Carriker 2 (+2)

The 11 others are:

DT Quinn Pitcock, Ohio State

DT Jay Alford, Penn State

DE Dan Bazuin, Central Michigan

DE Baraka Atkins, Miami

DE Quentin Moses, Georgia

OT Jake Long, Michigan

OT Barry Richardson, Clemson

LB Rufus Alexander, Oklahoma

S Tom Zbikowski, Notre Dame

S Aaron Rouse, Virginia Tech

QB Troy Smith, Ohio State

TE 8 (+2)

DE 5 (+1)

DT 2 (-2)

OT 2 (-1)

S 2 (no change)

LB 1 (+1)

QB 1 (no change)

The Jake Long and Barry Richardson picks are kinda intriguing. Both will be tempted to enter early because they could both protect to LT in the NFL, especially Richardson. Sam Baker probably tops the list of early entry LTs and the senior class is lacking in the 1st. Joe Thomas looks like he's recovered well from his ACL but after watching Doug Free repeatedly get his ass handed to him by Miami Redhawk DEs and even a DB, 1st round evaluations should be in the works for both Long and Richardson. Levi Brown most likely projects as a dominating RT and Justin Blalock looks more right guardish, so there's a good chance both Long and Richardson could crack the 1st.

But why the Bengals taking them with Levi and Big Willie re-signed? Seems unlikely.

Rufus Alexander is also an interesting pick. No question about his coverage skills and the depth he can drop back, but I haven't seen the kind of aggressive point of attack player who sheds block well enough to really warrant a 1st round pick.

I'm leaning toward LaMarr Woodley but he's playing himself up and shows the kind of upper body strength on rip moves and bullrushes to get him more consideration by 4-3 teams as a DE plus enough quicks and straightline speed to get heavy consideration by 3-4 teams as an OLB.

The OT picks (and the Troy Smith pick) are just as-yet unchanged holdovers from preseason, before Palmer came back and we got our tackles locked up, so I expect those to change. Rufus is new, the first reaction by the mockers to our losses at LB.

Personally, I'm still holding out for a DT, pending where we pick and who's available, of course.

Ah yes, the LT picks are thus explained.

I hear you on the DT but count me among those who do not think Pitcock, Alford or Mebane are 1st rounders, especially if Alan Branch enters and maybe even Red Bryant. I like Marcus Thomas a whole lot but can't see the Bengals using a 1st on another problem child. Justin Harrell is out for the year but I like what I saw of him and thought his performance vs. Florida was as gutty as they come. His injury should not effect his draft status but doubtful he was a 1st rounder to begin with.

So if it's DT you want, here's the best I've seen this year -- Tank Tyler NC State. Another very disruptive but less strong DT in the Day 1 mix should be Brent Curvey.

• 2 weeks later...
I hear you on the DT but count me among those who do not think Pitcock, Alford or Mebane are 1st rounders

Pitcock is probably the most talented DT in the country... but he's not even 300 lbs, so that will really hurt his stock. He's certainly not NT potential, so while he might be good DT, there will be a limited number of teams interested in his services for a 1st round pick, so I tend to agree. He's a first day guy for sure... but most likely will drop to late in the 2nd round if not the 3rd because he's small, and will probably lose a lot of his play-making ability if he puts on a lot of weight.

-- Tank Tyler NC State. Another very disruptive but less strong DT in the Day 1 mix should be Brent Curvey.

Isen't tank a "character" risk?

I hear you on the DT but count me among those who do not think Pitcock, Alford or Mebane are 1st rounders

Pitcock is probably the most talented DT in the country... but he's not even 300 lbs, so that will really hurt his stock. He's certainly not NT potential, so while he might be good DT, there will be a limited number of teams interested in his services for a 1st round pick, so I tend to agree. He's a first day guy for sure... but most likely will drop to late in the 2nd round if not the 3rd because he's small, and will probably lose a lot of his play-making ability if he puts on a lot of weight.

'Well we have big future DT in Peko....do you guys think pittcock would be right type of DT put on the other side of peko or?Also would he be good for hybrid defense so line up as DT for 4-3 then switch over to a 3-4 DE ?seems be about same size as the bear DTs...

-- Tank Tyler NC State. Another very disruptive but less strong DT in the Day 1 mix should be Brent Curvey.

Isen't tank a "character" risk?

'Well we have big future DT in Peko....do you guys think pittcock would be right type of DT put on the other side of peko or?Also would he be good for hybrid defense so line up as DT for 4-3 then switch over to a 3-4 DE ?seems be about same size as the bear DTs...

I don't know. I'm not as hung up on size as some people... but being under 300 lbs in the NFL won't help against the run. He's talented and smart, and knows how to penetrate, but if a big guard or center get ahold of him, they'll push him around. I think he's a classic case of a guy who flourishes in college because of the weak opposition. I don't think he's going to be one of the better DT's that come out of this years draft.

Since we don't get a 3rd round pick (Brooks), we'd have to take him in the first or second, and even though a late 2nd round pick for Pitcock would probably be pretty damn good value, I don't see us taking a DT on the first day. We've got Sam Adams and Peko, so unless we get rid of Thornton this offseason, there's not enough playing time to go around. Marvin will probably feel like we have enough good players there to leave it alone on the first day.

If they decide that Ghiaciuc is the Center of the future, then I hope we take a LB in the 1st, and a DE in the 2nd. If they don't think Ghiaciuc is going to cut it, we need to take a Center with one of those picks.

Question derek just what opinion sense seemed preatty high on 1st day LB,If Odell and Pollack both returned would you still want one? and if only 1 returned would you?

The only LB I really would like see rnd 1 is willis myself ^_^

If both Pollack and Odell are back... I'd be less intent on a first day LB, but I don't expect Odell back myself. If it is only Pollack back, I want a first day LB. I'm assuming that we are going with Simmons, Brooks, and Pollack as our starters for next year. Simmons is only signed through 2008, and will be in his 11th year when his contract expires. I like Landon... but assuming we re-sign him after this year, I feel like he should be more depth than a starter. So I'd like another impact LB to play WSLB in the future.

If neither Odell or Pollack are back... well, we need the 1st rounder to be a LB without question. Perhaps Jeanty will end up being a good one for a while... but we certainly need more impact LB's than we have at this moment in time.

Short answer on Willis at weakside would be no IMO. I don't think he reacts fast enough in space or gets off of blocks well enough there either. His strength looks like the middle vs. the run and I' starting to think he'll start to slide down the LB board like Posluszny probably will because the latter just doesn't look like he's moving quick enough.

There's a few solid Day 1 pure weakside prospects this year but they -- Rufus Alexander, Juwan Simpson and Steve Nicholas -- don't seem to have enough a$$ or aggressive style to come up and deal with the run as effectively as they need to. But of those 3, I like Nicholas the best. The job he did shutting down Clark Harris almost knocked Rutgers from the ranks of the unbeaten.

The LBs I like the best are more versatile and have some degree of maybe being able to play weakside in the pros:

1. Earl Everett would have the least problem but is such a headhunter that he probably gets looked at 1st and foremost as an Ernie Sims style of MLB.

2. Desmond Bishop of Cal is extremely reactive in space and looks shot out of a cannon playing forward. Great size, too.

3. Justin Warren of Tex A & M is another pro frame LB who is athletic enough to get looked at at all 3 4-3 LB spots but he's got too much stride for now w/o the reaction to change direction quick enough to be considered more than a project at weakside at this point.

A couple of early entries could get evaulated at weakside -- Brandon Siler, Vince Hall and Ali Highsmith. But Siler and Hall are both demons near the LOS with great burst and angles so they probably get looked at in the middle 1st.

Had a whole bunch of updates and some new mocks so I figured I'd update the Big Board. We're now at 23 mocks, and the consensus favorite is Olsen. Two-vote holder last time, Adam Carriker vanishes from the board. The only guys with multiple votes are:

TE Greg Olsen 6 (+2)

DT Quinn Pitcock 2 (+1)

The 15 others can be seen here:

http://www.bengalszone.com/mockdrafts.php

TE 7 (-1)

DT 5 (+3)

DE 3 (-2)

S 3 (+1)

LB 2 (+1)

RB 1 (+1)

QB 1 (no change)