does the bengals look like a joke or what

mello2dope

I don't believe that for a second. Sapp was offered a $7 million signing bonus by the Raiders, which easily trumped our offer. Sapp himself said that when he woke up Saturday morning, he thought he was a Bengal. Then Oakland stepped in with this insane deal. As with most players like Sapp, it about the money, not the game. He's lost more here than the Bengals have. He has to go to a team that is on the decline in a big way. He'll be richer, but unhappier I assure you! B)

Exactly!! Forget Sapp - he's always been a prick and always will be... If anyone honestly believes the Raiders made a good move w/ those contract numbers, then they do not understand the economics of the NFL... I don't want to hear that we needed him to get respect either because that is B.S. - the fact is Sapp was about to be a Bengal until the Raiders threw out those rediculous numbers, that in itself shows you that we do not have that same old stigma attatched as Sapp would not even have spoken to us two years ago!!

He wont be less happy. He already has a ring, hes now trieng to get money so he is set for life. I gaurentee you that in 12 years when hes being inducted into the hall of fame he wont be thinking to himself "Man, i wish i had gone to the bengals and won those extra 2 or 3 games a year rather then having 30 million$."

Though im not so sure we will be a better team then the raiders.

He wont be less happy

Oh really? He wasn't happy making a big butt load of money with the Bucs when they lost enough games to keep them out of the playoffs! Do you think the money he got here is gonna smooth over the ass f**kin' he's gonna take in Oakland? Are they gonna make the playoffs!?! I think not in BOTH cases!! Send me some of what you're smokin! B)

If anyone honestly believes the Raiders made a good move w/ those contract numbers, then they do not understand the economics of the NFL...

I mean gotdamn...if they can throw that much money to a 30 plus player, WHY THE f**k CANT THEY GIVE A SECOND FOR COREY?!?!?

ARGH I CAINT TAKE IT!!!!! f**k!!! ITS SO FRUSTRATING BEING A BENGALS FAN!!!!!

:angry:

(sorry about the caps, sometimes you gotta vent.)

bengal fan for way to long  :ph34r:

Exactly, so why would you give up now when theres light at the end of the tunnel? You picked a bad time to hand in your membership....shoulda did that two years ago with the 2-14 season

Amen brother Squirrel! B)

Y'know, that we missed on Sapp (and Vincent and Taylor) doesn't annoy me half as much as the predictable spin from pravda.com. While other teams go out with less cap space and do big deals, we keep getting year after year of crap like this:

...Even though he’s going into his 10th season, there’s no question the Bengals thought Sapp would be an immense help in the locker room and for a run defense that finished 25th in the NFL last year. Still, apparently there was hesitancy about his age, the fact his play and numbers had declined the past two seasons, and that his number on the salary cap would cost them at least a couple of young players and maybe a shot at trying to extend the contracts of younger players such as Rudi Johnson and Peter Warrick...

...ESPN.com has the Bengals $5.5 million under the cap as of March 17, but that doesn’t count nearly $3 million in draft picks and $2 million in quarterback Carson Palmer’s anticipated escalators. They don’t like to make deals that go past a player’s career expectancy, and apparently they didn’t want to give Sapp that much over three and four years because of his age and recent play...

:angry: Don't give me the rookie pool crap; last time I checked, every team in the league has to come up with money to sign their draft picks. Hell, the Raiders will need even more than us! Ditto the whining about Palmer's incentives, like we're the only team in the league with a QB with incentives.

As for the deal "costing the a couple or young players" or extensions, insert head-banging-against-wall-icon here. If Mikey and Marvin had done their jobs and moved or cut Dillon and restructured or cut Kitna in the two months before FA, we'd have $3-5 million more to play with. You can argue that the Raiders overpaid, and I would agree, but the bottom line is that Sapp is $5 million of cap space that's at least on the field, while CD and Kitna are $5 million of cap space picking splinters out of their butts.

This offseason has really begun to remind me of the one between 2001 and 2002...and we all know what happened in 2002...

I do agree with you Joisey... I think that we're starting to see the Mike Brown of pre-Marvin peep his eary little head back into day to day operations.

--I think he's tying Marvins ' hands, and Marvins' being put in a situation where he can't bring in talent via Free Agency,and is being forced to develop a winner strictly through the draft.

---There is absolutely no forsight in the Front Office !!.. - How is it that we don't take 10 picks for Akili in the '99 draft?

How is it we don't draft Drew Henson in the hopes that another team will offer a higher pick in the future for him..?

---How is it that we miss out on guys like Rice,Sapp,Vincent,Moss,Bailey,Brady..??

Until the management and Ownership changes, we will continue to be a day late and a dollar short !.

A plea to Mike Brown.. Hire me as your GM... I won't cost as much, and obviously couldn't do a worse job than you and your Co-horts have done..!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

I understands everyone frustration, I in a way sympathize. Lets look at a couple of facts:

First of all Mike Brown still owns the team and we are clearly seeing this.

Secondly, Marvin hasn't gotten the players he's wanted; guess that could cross with point number one.

Thirdly, the money that Sapp got, it would hard to justify signing him in about two or three years.

Fourthly, we still have the player that consistently pisses everyone off here at the board (Dillon).

Fifthly, we're getting few FA that have no connections with the coaches, so the ol' stigma about the Bengals is still alive to the FA players; such as Sapp.

Positively, we have hope, most of us have hope poring out of our ears and tons of it to distribute. Sadly, hope can only go so far.

So while most of us are impatiently waiting a positive unknown this coming fall, others are frustrated. I can see this and understand this. I was at the bar when I got a call that Sapp is going to Oakland, I looked over at my buddies and all we could do is just shake our heads. The stigma is still here. Then most of us went on a rampage of bashing Mike Brown -- guess what? We're back to full circle, we're back to the root of the problem.

So to answer the question, does the bengals look like a joke; no. They look like a corporation trying to stay profitable however hesitant to make that mega-dollar partnership deal. However, to make that deal, you have to spend money for it or you'll never move past acceptable profitability.

I understands everyone frustration, I in a way sympathize. Lets look at a couple of facts:

First of all Mike Brown still owns the team and we are clearly seeing this.

Secondly, Marvin hasn't gotten the players he's wanted; guess that could cross with point number one.

Thirdly, the money that Sapp got, it would hard to justify signing him in about two or three years.

Fourthly, we still have the player that consistently pisses everyone off here at the board (Dillon).

Fifthly, we're getting few FA that have no connections with the coaches, so the ol' stigma about the Bengals is still alive to the FA players; such as Sapp.

Positively, we have hope, most of us have hope poring out of our ears and tons of it to distribute. Sadly, hope can only go so far.

So while most of us are impatiently waiting a positive unknown this coming fall, others are frustrated. I can see this and understand this. I was at the bar when I got a call that Sapp is going to Oakland, I looked over at my buddies and all we could do is just shake our heads. The stigma is still here. Then most of us went on a rampage of bashing Mike Brown -- guess what? We're back to full circle, we're back to the root of the problem.

So to answer the question, does the bengals look like a joke; no. They look like a corporation trying to stay profitable however hesitant to make that mega-dollar partnership deal. However, to make that deal, you have to spend money for it or you'll never move past acceptable profitability.

I also agree woith this post very much

DO the bengals look like a joke. If you say it the way the topic is named you know its wrong. DO not does.

However, to make that deal, you have to spend money for it or you'll never move past acceptable profitability.

Yup. The company I work for, tho not horrible overall, also has an issue with the old adage, "you have to spend money to make money." So I can sympathize with Marvin to a point. But...that's all the more reason for him to have moved faster and more decisively than he did before FA began. Either they were "too clever by half" and got burned (which I think is what happened) or they are far more worried about Rudi's and Palmer's potential than they are letting on, and are forsaking any big moves so as to keep open the possibility of resigning CD or Kitna to a big deal should Rudi or Palmer falter. (And that's a disturbing thought.)

As more details emerge about the contract, it's looks to me like it's basically a 2-year deal. Sapp reportedly gets $9.8 million over the next two seasons, $7 million of it guaranteed. $4 million of that is signing bonus, the other $3 million guaranteed money this year and next. So in 2006, the cap hit to cut Sapp is only a bit more than $2 million, which is surely less than his '06 salary + prorated bonus.

I They look like a corporation trying to stay profitable however hesitant to make that mega-dollar partnership deal. However, to make that deal, you have to spend money for it or you'll never move past acceptable profitability.

Yeah, but profitable corporations (like Yankees, Redskins, Raiders)

know

Firstly, you have to spend money to make money

Secondly, you have to take risks in business....

Bengals Corp. is doing neither....go figure