We are gonna get Sapp!!

jamesbrooks21

This type of comment gets thrown out there often w/out a deal - If he's not signed by noon tomorrow, forget about that comment... I am not a Sapp fan as a man (he is not an ethically respectfull individual), but he would help us immensly and influence the league dramatically in the way we are looked at... that hurts to say that...

no your right when they go to the playoffs this year , it will not have anything to do with sapp him self, but he knows how to be a team player, and knows how to make rookies play better, just look what he did in tampa, when starters went down, he fired up the rookies they played harder, he is with out a douht the best thing that ever happened in cinci. i dont know about you but i was getting tired of seeing the defence get smoked in every game, gone is hawkins, gone is burris, man these guys names should be on tombstones at river front, they gave up so many touchdowns. now the oppenent qbs hopefully will not have as much time to throw the dam ball, so bring on sapp that knows how to play every down, and all 60 minutes of the game. PLEASE SIGHN THE DAM CONTRACT.

Not to bust anyone's bubble.. but according to ESPN, Sapp has been having contract negotiations with the Giants as well, and was even quoted as saying he would like to play with his buddy Michael Strahan.--They could go hunting together etc..etc.. is what Sapp said.

FWIW, chrish, as a Joisey guy, word up in these parts is that there is approximately 0 interest in Sapp in the Meadowlands. Sapp himself is hyping the Ginats as a destination; the Giants aren't very interested. Check out:

http://www.nynewsday.com/sports/football/g...ny-giants-print

It's all based on the stuff on Sapp's own web site. The guy is a master promoter. Dunno if he'll sign here, still doubt it, but he ain't coming to NY unless he's willing to play for peanuts.

Here's a tidbit guaranteed to give all out TP's a [insert nickname of Jets owner here]. :)

Just checked the wild bill's chiefs board, and theposters there report that the local sports guys (Metro Sports) say Sapp has CANCELLED HIS VISIT TO KC.

just fyi :lol:

(no...this CANNOT happen... :ph34r: )

See avatar.  :P

I *still* don't know if I *really* want Sapp, but WTF, he's at least be entertaining! Sapp...CJ...almost makes u wish CD would stay...almost... :ph34r:

Pretty much feel the same way ................. except for Dillon.

As far as Sapp signing .......... I'll believe it when I see it. Til then, his agent is doing the same thing that all the other agents did and that is using Cincy's offer as leverage.

If he signs and If he's productive then OK. Still take a dt in the draft though.

Been gone ( again ) ............... what's the situation with Taylor and Marion ??????????????

If he signs and If he's productive then OK. Still take a dt in the draft though.

Been gone ( again ) ............... what's the situation with Taylor and Marion ??????????????

Re part a: yup, but you have your choice between rounds 1 and 2 now. Sapp gives you the chance to go CB in one and still take someone like Olshansky in 2. There's a crap load x2 of DTs coming out this year.

Re part b: Taylor? Marion? Who dat? :lol: Supposedly there's been conversations with Marion but that appears to be going nowhere fast for anyone, Bengals included. Word out of Seattle is that Taylor's stock has fallen since the 'Skins signed Harris (Colts) and killed his market.

Bottom line: if the Bengals sign Sapp I toss every penny I got at Taylor. Dang, tho, I still want Beckett back (Marion doesn't do anything for me)...sheet..what does everyone think?

Bottom line: if the Bengals sign Sapp I toss every penny I got at Taylor. Dang, tho, I still want Beckett back (Marion doesn't do anything for me)...sheet..what does everyone think?

Totally agree with ya....I'd rather see Sapp and Beckett sign instead of Taylor and Marion...Marion is too old to pick up this early...If he wants to come in right before training camp for a vet minimum then maybe...Of course signing Sapp may help lean Taylor to signing with us, and convince Beckett to sign the deal....

Well, I just cracked the Bacardi 8...good stuff. I was hoping I'd get home from work and see the that the QBKILLA signed with the Bengals.....damn, not tonight!!! I guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow (after the hangover)..... Anyway, like the redsfan said..I'll have to wait till I see it to believe it. And if I see it, I will crack open a bottle of Jameson's 18 year master selection...and make a toast to the next AFC powerhouse!!! ( I think I'm still recovering from St. Patty's Day)

Word on nfl.com is that Sapp's looking for a ring and Canton credentials...if he feels he can get there in Cincy I think a deal will be done soon. Personally, I can't stand that SOB...his cheap shot against Green Bay that almost ended another players career and his follow up childish encounter with Sherman showed me just how little class he has as a player and human being. From another perspective I think he would have an instant impact on our "D" and I hope they can land him.

Also, since I'm in Jersey as well I can verify that the Giants story is a used car salesman's tactic of saying "I have another interested buyer, but since I like you..." Sapp is just trying to promote himself and see if he can get anyone to outbid the Bengals. Seeing as how the Bengals have already offered twice the rate anyone else has I find this to be a crapshoot.

Sapp signing would also help the Bengals lure the other free agents into the fold. I would like to see Marion come to Cincy. He's 34 but can still make an impact on the field. His experience will help him make up for any loss in speed, and he can still hit a ton. Sign him and gain his leadership and experience and draft a young guy to groom behind him. Taylor, could take him or leave him...I think the Bengals will be able to draft a corner high enough not to have to worry about it.

From Bengals.com:

The Bengals went into Saturday morning on the verge of their boldest move of the free-agency era when they worked deep into Friday night and were on the brink of a deal to bring future Hall of Fame defensive tackle Warren Sapp to Cincinnati.

Not only would he give the Bengals’ defensive line its first double-team threat in years, Sapp’s high-voltage profile would immediately transform one of the club’s worst weeks into one of the best. A Sapp signing would counter the nasty headlines stemming from Hamilton County’s lawsuit against the Bengals and the NFL. And, it would turn disgruntled Corey Dillon’s national rip job of the team into a musty footnote.

“He’s a game-changer,” said one NFL assistant coach Friday. “He makes you change your game plan. You need two guys to block him. There’s only about seven or eight guys in the league that make you change what you have to do, and he’s one of them.”

How close? During and after Friday’s extensive talks with the club, agent Drew Rosenhaus said the sides had made “very significant progress,” and stood a phone call away as midnight neared to complete what is believed to be a four-year deal. Other teams are involved, Rosenhaus said, with Kansas City the major suspect. But clearly, Sapp, the best tackle of his era, has struck a chord with Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis, the most successful defensive coach of that era.

“He’s talked with Marvin. They’ve had some great conversations,” Rosenhaus said late Friday. “Warren has so much respect for him, and the Bengals remind him of how it was in Tampa Bay. He’s excited about that prospect.”

The news of the Bengals’ pursuit of Sapp this week energized fans who were supposed to be wrapped up in the NCAA basketball tournament and his possible future teammates.

** Continued from Homepage **

“When I’m watching a game, the only two tackles I watch are him and La’Roi Glover,” said defensive tackle John Thornton, the man who would play next to Sapp, after reading the Bengals had made Sapp an offer.

“You really learn something from watching a guy like that. I think everybody pretty much patterned their game after him the way he rushes the passer. He’ll help any team he goes to because he brings so much attention to himself on and off the field. There was a little shock value to it because it was such a big name, but you also know Coach (Marvin Lewis) is trying to get those impact players.”

At 31, and after seven Pro Bowls, Sapp isn’t the young guy who once had 16.5 sacks in a season. But new Bengals middle linebacker Nate Webster, who played with Sapp the past four seasons in Tampa Bay, says he still causes offensive lines nightmares.

“He’s like a coach on the field and I don’t care how old he is,” Webster said. “He’s still the best defensive tackle in football. Watching him is like watching a basketball game the way he leaves those guys hanging with his moves.”

In order to make room for Sapp and what may be a contract bordering on $4 million per year, the Bengals have to cut at least one $1 million player and maybe two. But if the signing comes off, it could have an impact for years, much like the Reggie White signing did for Green Bay a decade ago when he proved one man can melt a free agent Siberia.

While the Bengals hashed it out with Rosenhaus, they had enough salary cap room Friday to finish off a one-year deal with Redskins wide receiver Patrick Johnson. He becomes the team’s sixth veteran receiver and fifth Johnson, and he’s confident he can push the starters. He’s confident, period. He expects to become the team’s top kick returner despite just 31 career kick returns. And he feels he can be a Pro Bowl returner. P> “This game is just a matter of opportunity,” Johnson said. “I know if I get a chance, I can do the job.”

The 5-10, 196-pound Johnson, 27, a seven-year pro, feels like he just needs a chance anywhere. He has caught just 82 balls, but his All-American sprinter’s speed has allowed him to average 15.3 yards per catch. He returned 13 kickoffs last year, most since his rookie year of 1998, when one of his 16 went for a touchdown.

“My rookie year in Baltimore I ran kicks behind a Pro Bowler in Jermaine Lewis, and it was the same kind of thing last year in Washington behind Chad Morton. I was a blocker there,” Johnson said. “I think if I get a chance, I can show people what I can do. And it’s the same thing playing receiver. If you’re on a running team, or you don’t get thrown the ball very much, it’s circumstances. I didn’t drop all those balls. In Baltimore, they liked taller receivers.”

Johnson thinks he’s come to the right place to shed his image of a sprinter who plays football. He says he’s actually a football player who just happens to run fast. He thinks the Bengals’ desire to go down field, along with being re-united with Marvin Lewis is going to jump-start his career. Plus, he gets a chance to play the Baltimore team twice a year that he says didn’t play him because he wasn’t tall enough.

“I think the familiarity was a big thing for me in Cincinnati,” Johnson said. “People know what I can do. Marvin saw me every day in practice for four years in Baltimore and knows I’m a good player. Chip Morton was a strength coach in Baltimore, Darrin Simmons was a special teams coach there, and my receivers coach (Hue Jackson) was my offensive coordinator in Washington last year. I really feel comfortable there.”

Johnson joins Pro Bowler Chad Johnson, starter Peter Warrick, third receiver Kelley Washington, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, special teamer Kevin Walter, and free agent Adam Ziesel, in the receiving corps. Houshmandzadeh, a restricted free agent, missed almost all of last season with a hamstring problem. He has visited the 49ers and has interest from other teams, his agent said Friday. But the Bengals also have a history of keeping six wide receivers with offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski.

Also Friday, special teams co-captain Reggie Myles signed a one-year deal as he heads into his third season.

Marvin Lewis: If you're paid to start, and you don't, then you're outta' here.... good bye Tony Williams and your salary !...

Tony Williams eventual release means that we'll have cap room after the Sapp signing to bring back Beckett or Marion. Beckett may be the long term answer,but Marion gives us a probowler that can groom a draftee'. Marion gets the edge in my book, because I'm not sold on Beckett's athleticism to man-up in our coverage schemes'.

PAGING KATIE BLACKBURN...KATIE BLACKBURN PLEASE REPORT TO PBS...YOUR FATHER HAS ESCAPED HIS ISOLATION CELL AGAIN...

Drew Rosenhaus, Sapp's agent, confirmed Friday night that the two sides were deep in talks and that a contract, believed to be for four years, was nearing completion. Another source close to the negotiations, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the remaining holdup was team president Mike Brown's OK.

http://www.cincypost.com/bengals/2004/beng...03-20-2004.html

@#&%$!!! Don't you DARE queer this deal, Brown! :angry:

After the release of Tony Williams and a trade of Dillion (and maybe Kitna for that matter), does anybody think John Lynch is a possibility? Rumor is Marvin has been calling him twice a day to feel him out...