carson

boomer77

this is my first post, but i think i can add some depth to the discussions here. i realize it takes time to build up credibility on these boards -- and you can really on do that with thoughtful, well-worded, well-researched analysis -- but hell, let's have some fun. so here goes:

i've got it on very good authority that scouts from all over the league were positively drooling over what they saw out of carson last preseason. (no duh, you're thinking.) i know for a fact that one longtime atlanta falcons scout was allowed to watch a few practices during the season and after one session he told one national writer -- who happens to be a friend of mine: "This kid is best young qb i've ever seen -- and i saw marino and elway. He'll be in the Pro Bowl by 2006. Trust me."

my question to the seasoned memebers of this board is: what' s your take on carson? you guys think he's as special as all of us diehards hope? what?

my question to the seasoned memebers of this board is: what' s your take on carson? you guys think he's as special as all of us diehards hope? what?

Well my take goes along the same lines as your post. Also welcome to the "Zone"! :)

From what I saw in the preseason, i have every hope to expect good things out of this kid....He couldn'tve been handled better by the coaching staff, and definitely the best QB with a future, not thrown in there haphazardly....plus he has weapons to work with....I personally can't wait for the season to begin....training camp and pre-season included

Welcome aboard, boomer. As to Palmer, all I can say is, who knows? I hope he's the guy -- I think he's the guy -- and everything looks good now...but we'll see in September.

That's probably as perfectly said as can be.

From what I saw in the preseason, i have every hope to expect good things out of this kid

Well, I take last seasons pre-season for a grain of salt. He played against 2nd and 3rd and 4th team players.

I personally can't wait for the season to begin....training camp and pre-season included

I don't KW, the season hasn't seemed that it stopped yet. I'm still in mega-football mode right now. :lol:

I agree with Kirk about the season not seeming to have stopped yet, because the last 2 seasons, with all of the changes and such have kept me in midseason football form.

As for Palmer, I have no doubts that what skills he showed his Senior year and during last year's preseason games will be improved upon, for several reasons.

1. Ken Zampese... one of the best qb' coaches in the game. His knowledge and understanding of the position is 10 times an improvement over what Ken Anderson could ever do.

2. Carson' Character... The game isn't bigger than him, in fact sometimes he makes the quarterback position look easy when watching game films of him.

3. Marvin Lewis...ML is going to push CP and get every once of talent and production out of him.

my friend is a NFL fact nut and hes always hounding me about Palmer. "You know the bengals are gonna suck or not be better than 8-8 next year cuz its his first year starting. All first year starters do poorly. Look At Manning or McNair. McNair relied on the running game and mb threw for 2000 yrds and Manning had over 20-30 picks."

My reply to him is always, "wait and see". You never know, I have faith in Lewis and the system and I know that Palmer has a good arm. Its getting him up to speed in time will be the question. Im sure there will be a few rocky games that hopefully, with a rebuilt defense we can pull them out. But I am also sure that he will have some phenominal games as well. I cant wait for next season to start to see what he can do, cuz his upside is the best we've had since Boomer! :ph34r:

Carson Palmer--just call me overly pessimistic but I don't expect much from a Mike Brown drafted QB.

Let's also look at the facts here--last 8-10 games as a senior were his best. Not very durable in COLLEGE. Went up against teams' scrub defenses in Preseason.

DOESN'T SHOW MUCH CONFIDENCE IN HIS INTERVIEWS.

He will be better than Akili and David Klingler though.

Carson Palmer--just call me overly pessimistic but I don't expect much from a Mike Brown drafted QB.

Let's also look at the facts here--last 8-10 games as a senior were his best.  Not very durable in COLLEGE.  Went up against teams' scrub defenses in Preseason.

DOESN'T SHOW MUCH CONFIDENCE IN HIS INTERVIEWS.

He will be better than Akili and David Klingler though.

He's just modest man....."I'm just some young punk" I liked that....he can make fun of himself.....he also said something after the Jets game to the effect of yeah, I threw three TD's that game, not a bad first outing....' cut the dude some slack....he got there before the draft, unlike Klinger and Smith, who held out during training camp....

and yeah, lets look at the facts

had two offensive coordinators during his tenure

started as a freshman, first time in USC history that occured

durable? I dont recall him missing many games, if any....

as a rookie, what do you expect? You dont play first string usually....and even then some rookie QB's struggle...the game is totally different....

durable? I dont recall him missing many games, if any....

BS. He missed an entire year (if I'm not mistaken) for an injury. He missed plenty of games at USC for various injuries.

If he's like that in college, then how do you think he's going to be in the Pros???

Alright alright alright ok ok alright ok, you got me....he did get injured, but nothing serious....

and you dont think he's confident or a leader huh?

these people seem to think so....

WHAT OTHERS SAY:

Justin Simon, FOXSports.com: "If given the weird-science project of building a prototypical quarterback, the specifications would be easy. He'd be tall and big. He'd have a cannon for an arm. He'd have the scrambling ability to elude pressure. He'd have a square jaw with chiseled good looks. He'd have natural leadership abilities and an ease with people. Basically, he'd be Carson Palmer."

J.A. Adande, Los Angeles Times: "Palmer just has 'it.'"

Shana Newell, El Paso Times: "Rarely has a Trojan quarterback demonstrated as much promise as Carson Palmer. He could become USC's biggest name yet."

USC offensive coordinator Norm Chow: "Carson has all the tools. He wants to get better. And he really wants to learn...He's as good as any of the quarterbacks I had at BYU. And he's better than most of them."

Former USC tailback Chad Morton: "He's very calm. He doesn't get too excited, too emotional. He's going to be a great leader for this team. Looking at him, you have all this confidence in him. He has a great attitude."

Former USC tailback Petros Papadakis: "Someday I can tell my kids that Carson Palmer handed me the ball once...He's got the gift. He knows he still has a lot to prove, but Carson has that innate ability to lead guys."

USC tailback Malaefou MacKenzie: "He has an aura. He's a playmaker on the field. He can make plays happen because of his physical attributes. He's a great person and a great leader."

USC wide receiver Kareem Kelly: "I knew he was good from watching him in high school. But I had no idea he was this good...He's the nucleus of the team. We need Carson. He's a playmaker...He's a great competitor, too...He just adds so much to the offense. It's a totally different team when he's in...On the first day of (2000) spring practice after his injury, you could tell right away how bad he wanted to be back because usually he would just be walking to practice, but now he was sprinting out there."

Former USC wide receiver Matt Nickels, Palmer's prep teammate: "In high school, the whole varsity would watch his freshman games and just stand around in awe. I knew this guy was going to be big-time some day."

Former USC safety David Gibson: "In 1998, he was a wide-eyed freshman who got by a lot of the time just because he has such a strong arm. But now he understands the offense and knows exactly where to go with the pass...He has, by far, the strongest arm I've played against. And it's just not how hard he throws, either. It's his accuracy and touch, too. He can put the ball anywhere. You can have a receiver covered, but he's going to find a way to get the ball to him."

Former USC wide receiver Windrell Hayes: "He's matured a lot. He has always had the arm. Ability was never a question with Carson. It was just picking up the offense. As far as recognizing coverages, that's where he's made progress."

Former USC All-American quarterback Paul McDonald, now USC's radio analyst: "He's so far ahead of the learning curve, it's scary...But everybody expects the guy to walk on water."

Former USC wide receiver Billy Miller: "I knew he was the guy the first time he came into the huddle. Just the fact that he has field presence. You feel a little something different. There's a confidence that comes over the team...He has a big responsibility. He's labeled now as the star of the team. That's a heavy burden to carry. He has to understand what he's about to go through. He'll be expected to carry the Trojans to the promised land every year. But he has to understand that when things go wrong, and things go wrong for everybody, to hang in there. He has to realize who his real friends are and don't feed too much into the hype. He'll be all-everything, people will expect him to complete 100 percent of his passes and lead the nation in passing and he has to show leadership at a young age."

Former USC quarterbacks coach Ken O'Brien: "He is such a talented young man, with the potential to be as great as anyone I've seen."

Former Oregon defensive lineman Saul Patu: "He has a confidence about himself. It even stirs up the crowd."

Former UCLA tailback DeShaun Foster, a high school rival: "In high school, you're not prepared for quarterbacks like him. Carson's arm was unbelievable and it was so accurate."

Former UCLA cornerback Julius Williams, another prep rival: "If a receiver has a little bit of room and the defensive back is not covering him completely, Carson is going to throw the ball right there and there's no way the defensive back is going to get the ball."

Santa Margarita High coach Jim Hartigan: "Carson has the size of Troy Aikman and the arm strength of John Elway. He's got the super quick release of Dan Marino and the ability to put zip on the ball or touch depending on what the situation calls for. He is extremely calm and poised and he always makes the right decisions. He thrives on pressure. The bigger the game, the better he performs."

Tustin High coach Myron Miller: "He stood back there and it was like he had a cannon for an arm and every ball was perfect."

His father, Bill: "The first comment anybody made to us, since he was a quarterback in the ninth grade, was how much poise he had. Don't misread him. He's very competitive. He doesn't like to lose. He's always been easygoing. What's going on inside is probably different...

When he was young, if he threw an interception, he wouldn't get upset. He'd come right back and throw a touchdown." Does that sound familiar? Jets game, two straight picks returned for TD's comes right back and throws a TD strike?

I know I cant wait for him to throw ME the ball! haha

Yeah I can't wait to see him in action. Can't go wrong with all our weapons on offense. He can't screw up. Hell the Bengals WR's can take an average QB and help him put up probowl #'s. I am not saying Kitna made the probowl because obviosly he didn't, but he got very close. I just can't see Carson screwing this up. Just don't see it. He is in a way better situation than both Akili and Klingler.