Talks back on with Taylor

AGrizzlyBaer

Bengals step back

3-16-04, 7 p.m.

BY GEOFF HOBSON

The Bengals revived the Bobby Taylor talks, but apparently spent most of Tuesday stepping back and re-evaluating their position in free agency.

Taylor, an eight-year veteran of the Eagles, is the only big-name cornerback left in free agency and he’s also in talks with Seattle as he prepares to leave Thursday for a trip to Washington. Jason Medlock, Taylor’s agent who said Monday talks with the Bengals were all but dead, said they are back on.

“We talked again today and it was a positive conversation,” Medlock said. “We’ll keep at it. I’m also taking to (Seahawks president) Bob Whitsitt and those talks have heated up.”

Bengals step back

3-16-04, 7 p.m.

BY GEOFF HOBSON

The Bengals revived the Bobby Taylor talks, but apparently spent most of Tuesday stepping back and re-evaluating their position in free agency.

Could it be the talks with Sapp have anything to do with this!?!?! Hmmmmm. ;)

Could it be the talks with Sapp have anything to do with this!?!?! Hmmmmm. ;)

That'd be my bet, billy. Bengals FA Plan B appears to be that if they can't land a decent vet corner, they switch gears and add a decent vet lineman. But they appear to be not quite giving up on Taylor. I think the message is that they're prepared to go in another direction, and are going to do so as quickly as possible...and I suspect Taylor isn't pulling in the Vincent-level offers he wants. Thus this is them waving a flag at him, "last chance! Ours is the best offer you're gonna get! You'll be sorrrrrrrrrrry!"

On the whole, I'd rather have Sapp. If he isn't the player he once was, well, neither is Taylor. But I'm not sure he'd come here if they offered him $40 million a year or $400 million a year. Certainly he'll take the Bengals offer and try to use it as leverage elsewhere. It wouldn't surprise me (tho it would p*ss me off :angry: ) to see him sign with the Ravens for less $$$.

Certainly he'll take the Bengals offer and try to use it as leverage elsewhere. It wouldn't surprise me (tho it would p*ss me off :angry: ) to see him sign with the Ravens for less $$$.

You can't blame him for taking the offer and using it as leverage...these guys have got to be paid.....

I would be surprised to see him take less money in Baltimore...Sapp has openly spoke about wanting to play for MArvin Lewis, and I think he has enough respect for him to not shaft him that way....He might take less money to play for one of his former coachs, but not less for Baltimore...

I'd make a bet that Mike Brown still tries to low-ball both Sapp and Taylor--thus missing on them both.

So, welcome to Cincinnati, Dale Carter.

Low ball? Gwt the facts. 4 mill a year isn't a low ball offer for Sapp...Most teams were looking at 2 mill a year....and 4 mill is pretty damn good opening contract...

They've already given Taylor "low" offers and know what he is demanding...So why play that now?

Marvin would never let a player like Dale Carter become a Bengal....

You can't blame him for taking the offer and using it as leverage...these guys have got to be paid.....

I would be surprised to see him take less money in Baltimore...Sapp has openly spoke about wanting to play for MArvin Lewis, and I think he has enough respect for him to not shaft him that way....He might take less money to play for one of his former coachs, but not less for Baltimore...

I don't mind the leverage game, that's how business is done. But I do see Sapp using this to sweeten the other pots and then taking one that's still less than ours. Sapp has also spoken about how it isn't about the money anymore and he just wants to win...so I take anything (including that) that comes out of his trap with a huge grain of salt.

Another player trying to use the Bungles as leverage!!! That's what Sapp is doing here.

I just think Sapp has too much respect for Marvin Lewis for this to be the same old routine....

JoiseyCat, I think winning is important to Sapp, so that is a strike against the Bengals, versus a team like the Chiefs...But I don't think it is with Baltimore, Sapp has seen great defenses not do jack without the right offense, and everybody and their brother knows the at Baltimore doesn't have an offense and I don't think Sapp wants a part of that again...I think the biggest competitor for Sapp will be the Chiefs....

I just read on Bengals.com that it looks like Taylor is going to sign in Seattle and reunite with Ray Rhodes. Looks like full Sapp ahead

Yea, that was before the talks with the Bengals resumed. I think Taylor wants to play here, why else would he wait to sign, but money is definately a factor. I think if we are to sign Taylor, and if Sapp is signed, we're going to see a massive cut on our personnel.

BTW - welcome to the board William.

Players using other teams offers as leverage isn't about respect, it's more like part of the game. Use teams against each other to sweeten the deal, all the while most players already know where they want to play.

As for John Lynch. I'm pretty sure he's gonna end up with Herman Edwards. I think his release came as much a shock to him, as it did to the rest of us, but he's publicly commented on playing for the JETS, so that's where I see him going.

TeenBengal.. you gotta get 2 jerseys man. One offense, one defense. ...Go to the game, whichever squad is on the field;where the appropriate jersey and then switch when the other squad takes over. :D

As for Dale Carter.... I live in Covington,Ga.. that's where Dale Carter is from, and they don't even want him back here. Everyone in this hick town knows him since he and Jake Reed were kids, and they tell me all the time that Dale was an ass' even as a youth, and has never changed.--So no, Dale Carter won't be a Bengal.