C'mon Marv!

walzav29

I'm with BengalByTheBay on this one. I know Marvin has yet to draft an upgrade at defensive tackle, but he hasn't been left with many solid choices in recent drafts. Travis Johnson, for example, would have been a major wasted pick last year. This year there looks to be a better array of solid DT possibilities, and if Bunkley or Watson is available when we pick in the first, I just cannot see us passing them up, despite Marvin's article here.

TDB, I hope to hell you are right about that !!! My point to make is that we all know it might take some time to develop your DT you draft, but we haven't drafted any (ok Fanene and Askew) or at least any that have produced. We have to make a move or we will be constantly saying the same thing...

And if we are saying DT's are hard to develop, than why the hell wouldn't you go after one in FA ?? This just doesn't make sense one bit...

WHODEY !!!

And if we are saying DT's are hard to develop, than why the hell wouldn't you go after one in FA ?? This just doesn't make sense one bit...

It does look to me like the Bengals are legtimately going after Grady and Sam right now, and if the uninterest they continue to receive around the league, getting them at a Bengals-friendly price could really happen for us. That'd make this discussion a little less bothersome. Also, the fact that we are actively seeking a FA upgrade at DT this year, and went after Sapp last year, says to me that Marvin is well aware of our deficiencies on the line. He has seen better options in recent years from FA than the draft, but has been restricted for whatever financial reasons. That shouldn't be a problem this year.... but alas my friends, it's the Bengals.

Just cut the SH*T Marvin and quit blowing smoke up the asscrack of players that aren't worth a d*mn, not to mention pissing off the fans who know d*mn well our

d-line sucks and can't believe you think we are ok at that position... Ok, I went from disappointed back to angry.

DO SOMETHING FOR GOD SAKES BECAUSE OUR D-LINE SUCKS MONKEYBALLS !!!

WHODEY !!!

i what i got from him was that he is not going to insult players on his team to piss them off and get no kinda help at all from them by saying ya our d/tackles suck. also he said we are going to add a tackle in f/a or the draft . i am not trying to defend him because i would like to see someone come here. it does bug the crap out off me that we never get any f/a that are worth a crap. cattman and jackson are the two biggest f/a's this team has signed and that is kinda sad nothing against these two cause i like them both but damn come on bengals .

I agree with the idea that Marvin isn't going to publicly talk down on his own players (Thornton and Robinson in this case). Both of them have worked hard, there's no denying that, even if they have always tended to...well...suck. Marvin will reward their effort by treating them respectfully when he is asked offseason questions regarding the defensive line.

The man knows how to build a defense, just let him do it. He obviously isn't as satisfied with the performance of the line as he has been letting on, considering our active pursuit of Adams and Jackson. I am sure he is paying all the same attention to defensive tackle prospects in the draft as well. Just don't expect to open up a Greg Hobson article and see the words:

Hobson: "What is your opinion on the performance of last year's defensive tackles?"

Marvin: "Good GOD did Thornton and Robinson SUCK. I mean Jesus, you'd figure the guys could make a d**ned difference out there considering the money I'm paying them, but they were both TERRIBLE. Expect replacements very soon."

Even if that quote would be accurate, you'll never hear it spoken from Marv's mouth.

Maybe Marvin has better info on the development of the young DL prospects that he has drafted the last couple of years: Smith, Fanene, Askew.

Seems to be the consensus that it takes a couple of seasons to develop a good DL prospect, maybe Marvin thinks the youngsters are ready this year.

I still think he will draft a DT or pick up a FA if he comes cheap this year also.

Wait till after the draft before you start complaining about FA this season. Looks like the longer we wait the cheaper we will be able to sign an older DT and capable backup QB.

John Cooper always was a great recruiter of talent, he just could not win the big games.

Marvin is the key to that.

We have not had a coach who can spot football talent even close to Marv since Forrest Gregg.

*cough* Marvin?

Uh excuse me, but is Marvin going to all the pro days? Is he going to all the college games scouting the talent? Nope, sorry.

Please reserve your praise for the guys who REALLY make the difference here. It's not Marvin, it's Duke Tobin, Greg Seamon, Earl Biederman, John Cooper, and Bill Tobin. These behind the scenes heroes are the ones who provide Marvin with the data he needs to make the right choices. Without them, he would be drafting just like our previous coaches did without a real scouting department. Hit and Miss. Oh, and while you are stopping to praise them, please toss out some praise to Mike Brown, because he hired his scouts before he hired his coach.

Do you have a picture of Mike Brown framed on your wall? I'm just wondering. It's like Stockholm Syndrome, the guy holds you captive with the crappiest franchise in pro sports for 15 years and you love him.

Marvin is the key to that.

We have not had a coach who can spot football talent even close to Marv since Forrest Gregg.

*cough* Marvin?

Uh excuse me, but is Marvin going to all the pro days? Is he going to all the college games scouting the talent? Nope, sorry.

Please reserve your praise for the guys who REALLY make the difference here. It's not Marvin, it's Duke Tobin, Greg Seamon, Earl Biederman, John Cooper, and Bill Tobin. These behind the scenes heroes are the ones who provide Marvin with the data he needs to make the right choices. Without them, he would be drafting just like our previous coaches did without a real scouting department. Hit and Miss. Oh, and while you are stopping to praise them, please toss out some praise to Mike Brown, because he hired his scouts before he hired his coach.

Do you have a picture of Mike Brown framed on your wall? I'm just wondering. It's like Stockholm Syndrome, the guy holds you captive with the crappiest franchise in pro sports for 15 years and you love him.

I wasn't held captive at all. I could have jumped ship and tossed my loyalty to the Bengals out the window. I chose to continue to be loyal to my team. As I've said before, I'm sick and tired of Mike Brown being the goat every time there's a problem and never getting any of the praise.

I've had the honor of talking to Mike Brown in person, as well as his wife, and you won't meet many better people in the world. As I've said before, Mike Brown's downfall is that he sees his team as a family business, not an enterprise. There's a big difference. In a family business, nepotism can be a problem. In this case, once you are a Bengal, you're family. Mike doesn't want to cut family. Mike will always give family the benefit of the doubt. If there was a choice between a family member and a non family member with similar ability, Mike always gave the benefit of the doubt to the family member. He sees his fans as a part of his extended family. He keeps ticket prices as low as possible rather than overspend so that the fans can go to the games. I understand the man's thinking, that's all.

In the article today this was written.

One of those decisions is sticking with his two fairly light defensive tackles, 290-pounders John Thornton and Bryan Robinson. They are looking at veteran loads Sam Adams and Grady Jackson in free agency, but Lewis reiterated (for the how many th time?) he’s not looking for bulk in pointing out that the NFL’s three smallest defenses (Tampa Bay, Chicago, and Indianapolis) finished in the top 11.

“I’m very comfortable with our guys. They do the things we ask them to do,” Lewis said of his tackles. “They work hard, they practice every day, they show up on Sunday and play.”

Well why not ask them to stop the run? I understand Marvin likes to keep things hidden like lockeroom scuffles and injuries, but don't act like we're stupid. The defensive line sucks. They need run stoppers. Admit it and improve it. If our starting DT's weigh less than a combined 690 lbs. I'll be disappointed.

Marvin never wants you to seem him coming. He knows damn well we need help at DT. His press conferences after games are real gems......you can't hardly get anything out of the guy. Marvin does his talking on the field.