C'mon Marv!

walzav29

In the article today this was written.

One of those decisions is sticking with his two fairly light defensive tackles, 290-pounders John Thornton and Bryan Robinson. They are looking at veteran loads Sam Adams and Grady Jackson in free agency, but Lewis reiterated (for the how many th time?) he’s not looking for bulk in pointing out that the NFL’s three smallest defenses (Tampa Bay, Chicago, and Indianapolis) finished in the top 11.

“I’m very comfortable with our guys. They do the things we ask them to do,” Lewis said of his tackles. “They work hard, they practice every day, they show up on Sunday and play.”

Well why not ask them to stop the run? I understand Marvin likes to keep things hidden like lockeroom scuffles and injuries, but don't act like we're stupid. The defensive line sucks. They need run stoppers. Admit it and improve it. If our starting DT's weigh less than a combined 690 lbs. I'll be disappointed.

In the article today this was written.

One of those decisions is sticking with his two fairly light defensive tackles, 290-pounders John Thornton and Bryan Robinson. They are looking at veteran loads Sam Adams and Grady Jackson in free agency, but Lewis reiterated (for the how many th time?) he’s not looking for bulk in pointing out that the NFL’s three smallest defenses (Tampa Bay, Chicago, and Indianapolis) finished in the top 11.

“I’m very comfortable with our guys. They do the things we ask them to do,” Lewis said of his tackles. “They work hard, they practice every day, they show up on Sunday and play.”

Well why not ask them to stop the run? I understand Marvin likes to keep things hidden like lockeroom scuffles and injuries, but don't act like we're stupid. The defensive line sucks. They need run stoppers. Admit it and improve it. If our starting DT's weigh less than a combined 690 lbs. I'll be disappointed.

If our starting DTs weigh 690 lbs or more, we'll SUCK. That's two tubs of lard that can't move. It means we've signed a guy who's going to be over 400 pounds!

Err, 345 times 2 = 690

Doesn't Willie Anderson and/or Bobbie Williams weigh in at about those amounts, more or less?

(and no, I am not suggesting we make them DTs, sheesh :-))

Nope, neither of them break 340. Stacy the Dancing Bear is the only one on our roster over 345, at 350.

Assuming we don't draft only DTs and go with 690 pounds of rookies, somehow, we would need a guy who is at LEAST 370 pounds to go along with Shaun Smith at 320 pounds to make 690 pounds. Where you gonna find that kind of beef? Heck, lets say we sign Sam Adams! Now we need to draft a guy who is 355 pounds to line up next to him. Sam's only 335 pounds. So he'd be the SMALL ONE ON THE LINE?

There is not 690 pounds of DT available anywhere in the league unless we are running a line with 2 DEs, 3 DTs, and just 2 linebackers.

Seeing this article today and more specifically the above portion of said article really has me, I was going to say pissed, but will go with disappointed. I'm not even mad about it anymore, just horribly disappointed as a fan.

Does anyone else remember when after the first season with Marvin, he made the comment, this off season is going to be about being able to stop the run ?? He went on to say, "THIS IS OUR PRIORITY". Well since that time, what exactly have we done to address this problem ?? Well from my standpoint, we have brought it a bunch of half-solid players that have done nothing but continually get ran the F*CK over. We have drafted small fast LB's that can't utilize their speed and athleticism because the DT's aren't big enough to take on the opposing O-line. Do the young LB's sometimes overpursue ?? Yes, but like I said, they are young and Odell will be a beast !!!

I just feel like this has been pushed aside and I have an extremely difficult time believing they are truly happy with B-Rob in there game after game. Marvin can say, you never know what you are going to get out of someone in FA, but can't the same be said for getting someone from the draft ?? At least in FA you KNOW the guy has produced in the NFL. Tell me one of the DT's available in FA this year wouldn't have been a HUGE upgrade for our D-line. I know the money issue, but it's not like the Bengals are in cap hell either.

I'm really feeling sh*tty about this today and my displeasure has shown in my other posts. We have the Kyle Boller of D-lines... SH*TTY !!!

DISAPPOINTED, I can't think of a more appropriate word.

NOT WHODEY AT ALL !!!

Anybody who expects to get any real insight or inside information slipping out of a Marvin Lewis press opp. is going to be disappointed. He has consistently said the problem is not with the D-line. Now, you know, and I know, and the American people know that isn't the case. Nonetheless, don't be surprised when he says it. Also, don't think for a minute he really believes that. I dunno what we're going to do about it, but Lewis can't believe it himself.

Well if he wants to come out and make comments like that, that every person who has watched a Bengals' game since Marvin has been the coach can see is obviously false, maybe he should add these comments.

"We are going to trade Carson Palmer for Brooks Bollinger because I think he gives more mobility at QB and a better chance to succeed."

or

"We have decided to release Chad Johnson at this point in time because we don't feel he is producing numbers to make his cap hit worth the value."

or maybe even this

"We've made the decision to move Tab Perry to QB because we are switching to an option offense and he is the best athlete on our team for that position, subsequently, Carson Palmer will now be our 3rd string emergency QB."

:wacko::unsure:

I think we have finally found a fault with Marvin, he really isn't very good at misleading the public.

;)

Err, 345 times 2 = 690

Doesn't Willie Anderson and/or Bobbie Williams weigh in at about those amounts, more or less?

Nope, neither of them break 340. Stacy the Dancing Bear is the only one on our roster over 345, at 350.

Assuming we don't draft only DTs and go with 690 pounds of rookies, somehow, we would need a guy who is at LEAST 370 pounds to go along with Shaun Smith at 320 pounds to make 690 pounds. Where you gonna find that kind of beef? Heck, lets say we sign Sam Adams! Now we need to draft a guy who is 355 pounds to line up next to him. Sam's only 335 pounds. So he'd be the SMALL ONE ON THE LINE?

There is not 690 pounds of DT available anywhere in the league unless we are running a line with 2 DEs, 3 DTs, and just 2 linebackers.

Sam Adams hasn't seen 335 since the third grade. I wouldn't believe the numbers the team publishes.

Err, 345 times 2 = 690

Sam Adams hasn't seen 335 since the third grade. I wouldn't believe the numbers the team publishes.

Sorry, but that's all we really have to go on is their last recorded team weights. Unless you are going to go weigh them all...

Smith and Smith and Fenane are only OK the rest of the DL SUCKS

We have not had a pash rusher in the past 14 years and cant stop the run

There is a reason for that they dont adress D-line in the draft

But it seems like we draft LB's and WR's in every draft.

Even when they draft a good DE they turn him into a LB

The reason for the poor showing on defence is not LB's its the DL

[Perhaps it is just me. Maybe I am just delusional.

It seems to me that while we did suck at stopping the run in the beginning of the season, as the season wore on it was the inability to stop the pass that was our d's downfall. Down the stretch we seemed to stop the run pretty well, the Kansas City game notwithstanding.

We've had as much of a problem getting DT's as we had QB's.

Pete Koch

Jason Buck

Alfred Williams

John Copeland

Dan Wilkinson

Reinard Wilson

Justin Smith

I would say J. Smith has been a non-bust but that's it. This is a horrible record. Hopefully in the future Marv can correct this.

It seems to me that while we did suck at stopping the run in the beginning of the season, as the season wore on it was the inability to stop the pass that was our d's downfall. Down the stretch we seemed to stop the run pretty well, the Kansas City game notwithstanding.

It's not hard to stop the run when the opposing offense knows your secondary is giving up the big play and they keep going for it. Injuries in the backfield hurt us and yes, I do expect Madieu to help that, but the D-line has to be addressed. The question is when ??

WHODEY !!!

It's not hard to stop the run when the opposing offense knows your secondary is giving up the big play and they keep going for it. Injuries in the backfield hurt us and yes, I do expect Madieu to help that, but the D-line has to be addressed. The question is when ??

WHODEY !!!

Man, eveyone portrays this as so easy.

Many of you were clamoring for Warren Sapp. I was screaming, My God, Sapp is an over-the-hill tub of lard.

But if some of you had your way we would be saddled with a bloated players bloated contract.

Free agency is totally over-rated. Free agents are more often than not over-priced players who are at the top of their downhill slide who may or may not give us some production for a year or two while destroying our cap margins.

The draft is the only way to build a football team for the long term and I believe that Marvin is going about it the right way and in my mind, the only way.

Calm down and give him another draft.

His first three have been great.

Then why not add some defensive linemen in the 1st half of the drafts. It seems Marvin is building the D from back to front. Maybe it's easier to get defensive linemen up to speed. All I know is that the more pressure you can get with your front 4 the better your secondary looks because they don't have to cover as long.

Marvin is the key to that.

We have not had a coach who can spot football talent even close to Marv since Forrest Gregg.

*cough* Marvin?

Uh excuse me, but is Marvin going to all the pro days? Is he going to all the college games scouting the talent? Nope, sorry.

Please reserve your praise for the guys who REALLY make the difference here. It's not Marvin, it's Duke Tobin, Greg Seamon, Earl Biederman, John Cooper, and Bill Tobin. These behind the scenes heroes are the ones who provide Marvin with the data he needs to make the right choices. Without them, he would be drafting just like our previous coaches did without a real scouting department. Hit and Miss. Oh, and while you are stopping to praise them, please toss out some praise to Mike Brown, because he hired his scouts before he hired his coach.

We've had as much of a problem getting DT's as we had QB's.

Pete Koch

Jason Buck

Alfred Williams

John Copeland

Dan Wilkinson

Reinard Wilson

Justin Smith

I would say J. Smith has been a non-bust but that's it. This is a horrible record. Hopefully in the future Marv can correct this.

If you cant draft one you get one in free agency.

Then why not add some defensive linemen in the 1st half of the drafts. It seems Marvin is building the D from back to front. Maybe it's easier to get defensive linemen up to speed. All I know is that the more pressure you can get with your front 4 the better your secondary looks because they don't have to cover as long.

Pay attention to the drafts. Even the BEST DT prospects in the draft each year are hit or miss. You might as well try to catch a sleeper as pick a DT on day two as risk another day one bust. Marvin avoided the potential for such a bust picking guys who would be on the field faster and impress people earlier. He didn't have time to pick a DT who would take a couple years to develop if at all.

Please reserve your praise for the guys who REALLY make the difference here. It's not Marvin, it's Duke Tobin, Greg Seamon, Earl Biederman, John Cooper, and Bill Tobin.

It sounds like you are saying the scouts do 100% of the eval work

Actually, there are a considerable number of reports showing quite clearly that Bengals coaches are in attendence at Pro Days...in some cases, even directing the workout personally.

I would add that Marvin attended Senior Bowl and the Combine, has almost assuredly been in on a number of interviews, and is probably having to get a report from every single person involved in scouting. He probably also delegates who goes to see what prospect based on preliminary reports

It's fine to give some credit to the scouts. It's not fine to act as if they shoulder 100% of the eval load.

It sounds like you are saying the scouts do 100% of the eval work

Actually, there are a considerable number of reports showing quite clearly that Bengals coaches are in attendence at Pro Days...in some cases, even directing the workout personally.

I would add that Marvin attended Senior Bowl and the Combine, has almost assuredly been in on a number of interviews, and is probably having to get a report from every single person involved in scouting.

No, I'm saying that Marvin isn't doing 100% of the work. Like I said, he's not at every pro day. He's not at the games watching them when they aren't performing for the entire NFL at a setup day just to show off. How many of the players we picked were at the Senior Bowl? How many even went to the combine? There is far more work done by Duke and his crew than is done by Marvin when it comes to evaluating talent. Marvin may make the final choice, but he does so only because he has the data to do it. Our previous coaches NEVER had the data being provided to Marvin.

WHODEY !!!

Man, eveyone portrays this as so easy.

Many of you were clamoring for Warren Sapp. I was screaming, My God, Sapp is an over-the-hill tub of lard.

But if some of you had your way we would be saddled with a bloated players bloated contract.

Free agency is totally over-rated. Free agents are more often than not over-priced players who are at the top of their downhill slide who may or may not give us some production for a year or two while destroying our cap margins.

The draft is the only way to build a football team for the long term and I believe that Marvin is going about it the right way and in my mind, the only way.

Calm down and give him another draft.

His first three have been great.

His first three drafts have been better than average, but how can you say GREAT when we have failed to address the D-line ?? Don't give me Fanene either, because until he does something more than play a few plays, it's a non-factor. Askew ?? Please, that "steal of the draft" has done what for us ?? Inactive most of last year... Who else ?? REALLY, who else ?? ANSWER----> NOT A F*CKING THING !!! Answer this one... How can teams who have less cap space than us make improvements and still not go over the cap ?? Creative contracts that allow the team to make moves in regards to salary later in the life of the contract. Do the Bengals do that in order to make said upgrades ??? NO, they take mid-tier players that come at a reduced rate. Don't get me wrong, I like the moves we have made so far, but don't get it twisted our D-Line F*CKING BLOWS !!! People say well DT's are a risk... That may be true, but that doesn't mean you just don't take one... EVER... You have to make move somewhere at sometime. Once again, how is taking a player out of the draft more of a safe move than going after a player that has ALREADY PRODUCED in the NFL ??? This is pathetic !!!

WHODEY !!!

I'm with BengalByTheBay on this one. I know Marvin has yet to draft an upgrade at defensive tackle, but he hasn't been left with many solid choices in recent drafts. Travis Johnson, for example, would have been a major wasted pick last year. This year there looks to be a better array of solid DT possibilities, and if Bunkley or Watson is available when we pick in the first, I just cannot see us passing them up, despite Marvin's article here.