Lavar Arrington: The Saga Continues

The Big Orange

First of all I'd venture to guess that Peterson's contract is a joke. It's probably some b.s. where he's scheduled to have a base salary of like 12 million in the last two years. It's money he will never see. I suppose players like to do contracts like that so they can bumb up the signing bonus I suppose??? Anway I'm sure Peterson's contract is not quite as fearsome as it looks. I'd guess his cap number for this year is probably only like 4-6 million.

Second I wouldn't be suprised if the Bengals are looking into the possibility of trading Simmons. It would free up cap room and a LB spot. While Simmons is a good veteran presence, I don't think he's a great veteran leader. It just doesn't seem to be his demeanor. Plus he's starting to get up there in age, and may be starting to decline. Added to the fact that the Bengals seem to like Landon and Odell and have Miller and company to back up. Plus I think it's almost impossible for Marvin to go thru a draft without taking a LB. It would make sense imo for them to try and deal Simmons for a 4th round pick to clear up room. I just don't see him being in the long term plans, and if they can replace him with Arrington and pick up a draft pick.... sauce for the goose :P

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Info-

From the New York Post-

Arrington has made visits to the Giants and Dolphins and yesterday was in Cincinnati. The market for Arrington - once considered to be the next great NFL linebacker - has been slow to form, with no lineup of teams pushing past each other to get him. He'll no doubt receive a lucrative contract, but he's unlikely to get the mega-bonus (more than $10 million) he's seeking.

Simmons for a 4th round pick? And then sign Arrington who will most likely demand MORE money than Simmons? That's more insane than believing that TO won't cause trouble in Dallas.

What do you think the Bengals should trade Simmons (a 30 year old linebacker with declining production) for a 1st round pick... :rolleyes: And there really is no "most likely" about demanding more money.

And for the record I don't think TO will be a disruption in Dallas

Arrington will never come here, we won't fork over the cash, and I hope we don't.

I'd be happy to see him in stripes. There's no doubt in my mind he would be a huge addition. However, there is also no doubt in my mind that you are absolutely right, there's no way it's gonna happen.

Lance's latest update...LaVar too $$$$ for the Bengals...big stunner there, eh?

My Bengal "peeps" confirm the NY Post story that LaVar was in town Monday.

I'm told at this point Arrington is out of the Bengals' mix.....due to the deal that Julian Peterson is about to sign with Seattle. His deal of 7 years 55 million, with 18.5 guaranteed has driven the Arrington price too high for the Bengals.

I'm also told the Bengals could re-enter the mix, if nobody gives Arrington what he's looking for.......assuming the Bengals haven't moved on with other signings.

We offered Sharper cash

Actually, to quote Marvin, we offer Sharper a "structure." The 'Hawks dealt in cash -- and considering the small amount of cash Sharper got there, our "structure" must have been made of Lincoln Logs.

Dont sign him and buy all Bengals fans a bag for the decade of misery with our cap money.

We could give LaVar a seven-year $100 million dollar contract and not endanger our cap position. Have we not heard lo these many past weeks about how wisely the bengals have managed the cap? About how we are in great shape now and in the future? The Bengals could easily do one crazy money deal. Actually, they could easily do more than one -- somehow many teams do without ever falling into cap hell. But they won't do even one. That's the way they do business, and that's that.

LaVar won't get half that ($10M) as a bonus....from anybody...he is pricing himself out of reach for most teams and when it comes down to the brass tacks of rosters and the cap...he will be left with about 4 suitors and about 4.5-5.5 bonus money and 3.5-4/yr...I see the suitor being Miami, Cincy, GB and NO....maybe NYG...

Of those, Cincy has the strongesst personal connection with LaVar....whihc is why I see him coming here....for the nice price.

LaVar won't get half that ($10M) as a bonus....from anybody...he is pricing himself out of reach for most teams and when it comes down to the brass tacks of rosters and the cap...he will be left with about 4 suitors and about 4.5-5.5 bonus money and 3.5-4/yr...I see the suitor being Miami, Cincy, GB and NO....maybe NYG...

Of those, Cincy has the strongesst personal connection with LaVar....whihc is why I see him coming here....for the nice price.

I agree. Miami, New York, and Cincy have all had their shot and each one has made it clear that they want Lavar, but not at his current asking price. So unless there's a surprise bidder out there this thing will enter the waiting game period. When that period ends each of the previously interested teams will get another phone call and a chance to match.

Efforts to confirm the reports through agents Carl and Kevin Poston's and Arrington's publicist Monday were not successful.

Dude has a publicist? Yeah, he's coming to Cincinnati. <_<

I've been firm in my belief that the Bengals haven't been talking "extensively" with Arrington and his people, and that LaVar has zero chance of wearing stripes next year. But in reading today's posts, it occurs to me that Marvin may be laying the foundation of a plan...

Consider that Arrington is probably asking for WAY too much money...it's feasible that he's going to get a lot of doors slammed in his face. And guys like LaVar and the Postons are likely to get indignant, want to reject any further talks with these teams....which may leave the Bengals, and their consistently sensible offers, as a viable option. So in the end, LaVar gets to say, I don't care about the money, I just want to play football for a good team with a great coach. I'll settle for $12 million over 3 years. 'Cuz I keeps it real. I think his publicist would approve.

Remember when TO originally signed with the Eagles? He was so psyched to get out of the SF-Ravens deal, that he took their lowball offer and only talked about playing with a great QB and going to the Super Bowl. Of course, we all know what happened next. But still, the a perennial contender signed the best receiver in the game for a fraction of his value. Maybe it could happen again.

We could give LaVar a seven-year $100 million dollar contract and not endanger our cap position. Have we not heard lo these many past weeks about how wisely the bengals have managed the cap? About how we are in great shape now and in the future? The Bengals could easily do one crazy money deal. Actually, they could easily do more than one -- somehow many teams do without ever falling into cap hell. But they won't do even one. That's the way they do business, and that's that.

I found this paragraph funny.... only in America can you be crticized for being smart with your money, unwilling to do something stupid even once.

I found this paragraph funny.... only in America can you be crticized for being smart with your money, unwilling to do something stupid even once.

I don't think it is a matter of being "stupid" with your money, I think it is more being "risky" with your money. Fact is, the Bengals don't take risks. How many other teams do you think they base their free agent plan, where it isn't sign this player, and we'll go after the next, but instead are like the Bangals where they plan every mve they want to make first, then when one piece falls out of place they scrap everything and start ALL over again?

There are just too many factors in free agency at this time to operate like that.

"Live life one step at a time."

:fish:

Dolphins| Team's interest in Arrington rising

Tue, 21 Mar 2006 22:33:01 -0800

Jeff Darlington, of the Palm Beach Post, reports the Miami Dolphins have raised their interest level in free agent LB LaVar Arrington (Redskins) after LB Julian Peterson signed with the Seattle Seahawks. With the Dolphins' interest in Arrington on the rise, they will have to compete with the New York Giants for his services, a source said. The high price tag on Peterson could dictate how much a team likely will have to pay for Arrington, since both clients have the same agent, Kevin Poston.

Dolphins| Team's interest in Arrington rising

Tue, 21 Mar 2006 22:33:01 -0800

Jeff Darlington, of the Palm Beach Post, reports the Miami Dolphins have raised their interest level in free agent LB LaVar Arrington (Redskins) after LB Julian Peterson signed with the Seattle Seahawks. With the Dolphins' interest in Arrington on the rise, they will have to compete with the New York Giants for his services, a source said. The high price tag on Peterson could dictate how much a team likely will have to pay for Arrington, since both clients have the same agent, Kevin Poston.

The way I see it we are going to lose both Arrington and Adams to the Dolphins in the FA.

And in that case the Dolphins are looking to be tought next year.

Bye Bye Lavar, Bye Bye Sam

WHO DEY