Vincent to decide by Saturday

BengalsNYC

Hobson reports on Bengals.com

Trade winds stir PBS

3-11-04, 7:45 p.m.

BY GEOFF HOBSON

The agent for Eagles cornerback Troy Vincent said Thursday that her client plans to resolve his future “in the next day or two,” with the Panthers emerging as a possible option for the five-time Pro Bowler.

But one thing that doesn’t look to be happening soon is Bengals backup quarterback Jon Kitna getting traded to the Chargers. The San Diego Union-Tribune reported in Thursday’s editions that the Bengals called exploring the Chargers’ interest in trading for Kitna, but got indications the club isn’t interested heading that way.

And, with the Raiders reportedly in discussions with free-agent running back Garrison Hearst, there were no indications at the end of business Thursday that the Bengals were about to pull off a trade sending Corey Dillon to Oakland for a first day draft pick.

Since the trading period opened last week, the Bengals have reportedly shopped Dillon for picks or players with the Raiders, Broncos, Buccaneers, and any other team that looked to need a running back. The Cincinnati Enquirer reported a deal could happen in the next 48 hours, but it’s believed that only a second-rounder in exchange for Dillon would make it happen that soon.

The Bengals aren’t talking about Dillon, or anyone else for that matter. Vincent now has “an open dialogue,” with the Panthers, but no offer or visit set up with Carolina, said Linda Bodley. She also said he received an offer from the Chiefs Thursday and that he was deciding among the Bengals, Bills, and Kansas City. ...More...

With the Chiefs only looking at him as an insurance policy and his old Philadelphia position coach the Bengals defensive coordinator, Cincinnati still appears to be the frontrunner unless Carolina flexes its muscle.

Bengals safety Rogers Beckett did get a visit to Carolina Thursday after visiting Tampa Bay Wednesday, but the Panthers have apparently not yet offered.

Vincent lives part of the time in, Gaston, N.C., about a four-hour drive from Charlotte, and Carolina made a move to clear salary-cap room when they released left tackle Todd Steussie to save $1.3 million. But they also had to make room for the signings of former Bengals cornerback Artrell Hawkins and Panthers long snapper Jason Kyle.

The Bengals also have a visit set up with Eagles cornerback Bobby Taylor Sunday night, but the Houston native who has talked about his desire to play in his home state also has a visit planned in Dallas after he leaves Cincinnati.

The agent for Tampa Bay Pro Bowl safety John Lynch said Thursday that neither the Bengals or Lynch has shown interest in each other yet, but “it’s early in the process,” after Lynch said he was given permission to talk to other teams. The Bucs turned down his request to restructure a deal that would have paid him $4.1 million in 2004 and $5 million in 2005. Plus, it looks like two of his old coaches in Tampa Bay, Colts head coach Tony Dungy and Jets head coach Herman Edwards, have the inside track.

But another player who has been given permission to talk may be on the Bengals’ radar screen after June 1. Neil Schwartz, the agent for Broncos defensive tackle Daryl Gardener, said Thursday his client would love to be reunited with Lewis in Cincinnati.

Schwartz wouldn’t comment when asked if he has talked to the Bengals, but he said his client has fond memories of the Redskins defense Lewis coordinated in 2002 and how Gardener was a big part of Washington finishing fifth overall in the NFL in defense and 12th in stopping the run. The Bengals were 28th and tied for 25th in those respective categories last year.

“Everyone knows Daryl played the best of his career with Marvin in Washington,” said Schwartz of the 2002 season. “He was the MVP on that defense that had guys like Champ Bailey, LaVar Arrington and Bruce Smith.”

The 6-6, 295-pound Gardener, 30, has settled his grievance with Denver and has been told the club is going to waive him in June after signing a seven-year, $34.8 million deal last year. The team withheld $2 million of his signing bonus and tried to get back $3 million already paid after the Broncos said Gardener violated terms of the contract he signed last March by engaging in conduct detrimental to the team.

Schwartz said that Gardener understands he has to prove to teams he won’t repeat what happened last season in Denver and that he’s willing to assume the risk in a contract.

“If he doesn’t play, then he feels like he shouldn’t get paid,” Schwartz said. “If he does, then he should. Daryl understands that.

“Marvin fully understands Daryl,” he said.

This is getting kinda pathetic if you ask me.... That story read like we were desperate for him , and desperate to trade Dillon ...

---We can get a cheaper , younger,and as talented Corner in the draft !!!!

--Secondly, If we can't get proper compensation for Dillon, then I'm more than happy to sit his grumbling ass on the Bench (de-activated ) for games totally wiping out any chance for him to get a decent contract at the age of 31 !.----rather than pay him and still have to cut him.

----As far as I'm concerned... we have the leverage... Teams need Dillon a lot more than we do.. and he's under contract, so If July comes around and he's a no-show for training camp,then he just gets' fined and that's just less for us to pay him !

And as for Daryl Gardener... by the time he comes free....We would have already addressed the d-lineman need in the draft.

This is getting kinda pathetic if you ask me.... That story read like we were desperate for him

His statement to the KC newspapers that he was our #1 priority would seem to indicate that he feels the same way.

My response to any counter offer from him would be 3 words.

Bite ........... my ....................... ass !

Hey Kirk.. try this one on for sides........

BengalFAns " Do not let the white Wizard speak {Mike Brown}---He will put a spell on us "....

It is also said, go not to kirk for council, for he will say both no and yes. :blink::lol:

Ah, but what shall we do with this cornerback, this least of cornerbacks, this trifle that Marvin Lewis fancies...?

It is also said, go not to kirk for council, for he will say both no and yes. :blink:  :lol:

I think Joisey just called me Wormtongue. Joisey, did you just call me wormtongue? :lol::lol::lol:

Gildor, m'boy, Gildor Inglorian. Of course, you have to read the book (FOTR) to know the line since PJ cut the scene... ;)

It is also said, go not to kirk for council, for he will say both no and yes. :blink:  :lol:

I think Joisey just called me Wormtongue. Joisey, did you just call me wormtongue? :lol::lol::lol:

Gildor, m'boy, Gildor Inglorian. Of course, you have to read the book (FOTR) to know the line since PJ cut the scene... ;)

I did read the book, but its soooo freakin' long and haven't read it in years.