Sam Adams

NYBengalfan

How about if we drafted Watson and signed Adams......would that be enough beef?

Possibly. Seems like a big risk to take though, unless they'd expect to be able to sign Adams after the draft. Nobody knows how the draft will progress... Watson, Bunkley, and anyone else worthy might be off the board. Then we'd be stuck with half enough beef.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about if we drafted Watson and signed Adams......would that be enough beef?

I've tossed that idea out too, but while I find it interesting, in the end I think we'd get about the same performance out of Watson-Thornton as we would out of Watson-Adams. Adams would likely upgrade the rotation, at least slightly, but like I said elsewhere if we're going to throw money at anyone I'd rather it be Pryce.

If we could land Adams, we could pass on a Day 1 DT, especially with B-rob, Smith, and baby-man ASkew...I think Thornton gets cut.

I think the most important element of the draft is DE. Containment funneling runs inside, pass pressure and constant stunts will make both the run and pass D improve dramatically. Maybe 2 in the first 5 rounds....

Adams would do well to come here for his last go-round....but the Brown family will not pay him.

Adams probably isnt as good as made up to be but for sheer mass at holding blocks to let the backers have gaps wouldnt that improve our efforts to pressurer a QB? Wouldnt that let Thornton Robinson or a draft pick such as Watson or Wroten to go one on one and get pressure to the QB as well?

Adams probably isnt as good as made up to be but for sheer mass at holding blocks to let the backers have gaps wouldnt that improve our efforts to pressurer a QB? Wouldnt that let Thornton Robinson or a draft pick such as Watson or Wroten to go one on one and get pressure to the QB as well?

If the Bengals were to pick up Adams, I am sure that would be their hope... Still, that would limit their flexibility in the early rounds of the draft as far as what positions they may pursue. What if Bunkley and Watson are both gone in round one? Then we'll be forced to take an inferior player in a later round (and I think Wroten fits that mold) and the strategy would just result in wasted money.

With Adams on board ( hypothetically) wouldnt a player such as Wroten have more of an opportunity to get to the QB due to the doubleteaming of Adams? Wroten by all accounts has slipped to the second round due to his issues with the law ( albeit minor )....

I just want to see the D line improved enough to let the rest of the defense worry about their tasks instead of these problems of no penetration up the middle...

:( Read on Bengals.com that Adams agent said he talked to Marvin and that there was interest..

Only a matter of time until there was some contact. I am sure Adams and his agent well versed in the defensive tackle needing teams around the league. That goes especially for playoff contenders with plenty of money to spend.

You have to admit that the thought of Gabe Watson and Sam Adams at the DT positions along with Shaun Smith and Robinson backing them up would be enticing.... wouldnt it free up our DE's and backers to pressure the QB more???

You have to admit that the thought of Gabe Watson and Sam Adams at the DT positions along with Shaun Smith and Robinson backing them up would be enticing.... wouldnt it free up our DE's and backers to pressure the QB more???

I'll certainly grant you that it would be an improvement over our current lineup. Still, we can't pickup Adams and then rely on the possiblity that a good DT will still be available when we pick in the draft. Also, I don't think that would really show a vast improvement worthy of the moolah we'd have to spend to land Adams.

Yeah, that bummed me out. I don't want Adams at any cost, but is asking price is rumored to be a multi-year contract averaging 2.5 million.

That's a lot of money to pay for ballast.

It's a good chunk for an old-timer and the Bengals will probably pass, but it's less of a gamble and a better value than using a 1st round pick on Gabe Watson.

There's a note over on kffl to the effect that Sam had a good visit, and his agent says he expects the 'fins to make an offer. Over on pft, Florio says he hears that they are looking at Adams as a replacement for 14-year stalwart Keith Traylor...but that there's debate in Miami over whether Sam is really an upgrade vs. Traylor.

Sam is holding out for a Bengal's offer :)

He's sure 'nuff trying his damndest to get one. I noticed this line tonight at the end of Hobson's (expanded) piece where Mikey talks about the CBA and his vote:

Brown said they now may have the room to pursue more than that [JC note: "that" being just a FA QB] and the agent for defensive tackle Sam Adams said he plans to talk to the club Friday.

Sam is nothing if not persistent, eh? He did his song and dance for the 'fins & now he needs the Bengals to play the usual role as leverage patsies. While Sam would be an upgrade, it ain't that big of one, and he ain't worth the angst, IMHO. If Mikey's serious, how about a run at Rocky "Raccoon" Bernard instead?

Sam is holding out for a Bengal's offer :)

He's sure 'nuff trying his damndest to get one. I noticed this line tonight at the end of Hobson's (expanded) piece where Mikey talks about the CBA and his vote:

Brown said they now may have the room to pursue more than that [JC note: "that" being just a FA QB] and the agent for defensive tackle Sam Adams said he plans to talk to the club Friday.

Sam is nothing if not persistent, eh? He did his song and dance for the 'fins & now he needs the Bengals to play the usual role as leverage patsies. While Sam would be an upgrade, it ain't that big of one, and he ain't worth the angst, IMHO. If Mikey's serious, how about a run at Rocky "Raccoon" Bernard instead?

Rocky Bernard is abosolutley terrible against the run...

If we could land Adams, we could pass on a Day 1 DT, especially with B-rob, Smith, and baby-man ASkew...I think Thornton gets cut.

I think the most important element of the draft is DE. Containment funneling runs inside, pass pressure and constant stunts will make both the run and pass D improve dramatically. Maybe 2 in the first 5 rounds....

Adams would do well to come here for his last go-round....but the Brown family will not pay him.

1 DE :P but not 2 in first 5 rounds :P

We Have smith,pollack and geathers so 1 pass rush spec would be fine....Geathers had soph slump not use to being full time end pollack started showing why he was rnd 1 talent in 2nd half of the season