Sam Adams

NYBengalfan

Sam Adams is going to be another vicitm of the Salary Cap. I personally would love to see the Bengals pick him up. He would be the run stuffer that we need, and would seal up our hole in the run defense.

Look at what Corey Simon did for the Colts swiss cheese run defense.

Agree or disagree????

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sam Adams is going to be another vicitm of the Salary Cap. I personally would love to see the Bengals pick him up. He would be the run stuffer that we need, and would seal up our hole in the run defense.

Look at what Corey Simon did for the Colts swiss cheese run defense.

Agree or disagree????

I second that motion

In my opinion, I think that he could be a good run stopper at DT. His agility is a huge question.

I want him because he would cause a lot of traffic in the middle. I mean c'mon he's friggin huge!!!

But he would have to shed a little( 20 lbs) weight beforfe I would go after him. Just to make him a little more agile.

Without space-eater Pat Williams next to him this past season, Adams' production fell way off. Put him out there with someone like Shaun Smith (or, say, a Gabe Watson) and I think his play could pick back up. But his age (33-ish) is a concern and like Army that makes me a lot more leery this time around versus last. Still...worth a look, IMHO.

I'm probably just in time to be wrong this time, but my take on the ML strategy is that he really does believe that you have to build almost exclusively through the draft. The FA pick-ups have, without exception, been "value" picks -- ie, 2nd or 3rd tier FA's. I think he expects relatively little from them other than role playing. As a rule, I believe him when he says that teams overpay for FA's. As such, I think Adams is exactly the type of FA pick-up we would not make. I don't see him being on sale -- if anything, I think whoever picks him up is renting a spot for 2 years max.

While I get that everybody likes to see us in the news this time of year linked to a big FA deal I don't think it's gonna happen. Hasn't happened in the Marv era. If we do sign a DL guy, it will likely be one of those tier 2 or 3 guys and we'll all be left saying "how's that an upgrade from Robinson/Thornton?"

This is the time of year where its hard to say "In Marvin we trust" we want to see him make a move in FA so that we can see that he really wants to win. Its been so long for us as fans since we've done anything that we want to win now, we've had that taste of success and damn it feels good. But I know this guy is commited to bringing a championship here, he only speaks of it every year, so whatever he feels is right for his team, whether bringing in Adams or drafting a DT, I know that he did it for the good of the team.

I like all of you am just so anxious for us to WIN, last year I really didn't know how to cheer. I've always been made fun of for liking the Bengals up here in Viking country, but seeing them kick the s**t out of those lowly Vikings was definitely the highlight of the regular season for me.

Basically what i'm trying to get at is we need to just trust that Marvin will bring us to a place we haven't been since '88, and I can't wait.

While I get that everybody likes to see us in the news this time of year linked to a big FA deal I don't think it's gonna happen. Hasn't happened in the Marv era.

Actually, big FA deals have happened in the Marvin era. Look at Rudi or TJ last year. Both got money commensurate with their talent. Carson's recent put him among the elite QBs in terms of pay; Chad's did the same thing, at least for the time. Brian Simmons got paid, too. Even pre-Marvin, this was common. Willie got paid, even Corey Dillon and Carl Pickens got what were then top-tier deals.

Notice the pattern? The Bengals will open the vault -- but only for their own top-tier FAs. Elite outsiders need not apply. If, for example, John Abraham had been a Bengals draft pick and had done what he did in NY in Cincy, I have absolutely no doubt he would have the top-dollar, long-term deal he craves. However, were the Jets to remove the tag and let Abraham be a free agent, Mikey would flee from his contract demands at warp speed.

I expect the Bengals to make a splash this offseason, but I also expect it will be in the form of one or more o-line extensions. Biug outside names? No, you're right, not gonna happen.

1. Simon didn't do SQUAT for the Colts. It was other guys who stepped up. Look at Simon's production, or lack thereof.

2. Sam Adams is too slow to fit our scheme.

Corey Simon made everyone on that defense better. He made that run defense great.

I agree with you, but we are both in the minority. IMO you can not judge a DT on stats alone. A DT that takes on two OL allowing the linebackers to make plays is very valuable. That doesn't always translate into great stats.

1. Simon didn't do SQUAT for the Colts. It was other guys who stepped up. Look at Simon's production, or lack thereof.

Corey Simon made everyone on that defense better. He made that run defense great.

I disagree. The guys around Corey Simon made the run defense great DESPITE Corey Simon lumbering around like a drunken jackass. Watch the games, he did not command double teams, he didn't do squat.

I disagree. The guys around Corey Simon made the run defense great DESPITE Corey Simon lumbering around like a drunken jackass. Watch the games, he did not command double teams, he didn't do squat.

Well, I think he certainly helped out Larry Tripplett's and R.Mathis's game out

You make a good point, Joisey. I, along with a lot of other fans, tend to overlook the internal signings. However, you are right that they were significant. Limiting my comments to outside FA's and I still believe it to be correct. Marvin seems to want to grow this team based on their skill at bringing good players here through the draft and, as you aptly point out, keeping the guys they like. FWIW I'm not one of the Mikey's too cheap guys. I think it was true, but I don't really believe that to be the case now. I just think that ML's philosophy is that you don't win by banking on a big name FA to come in and make you better right away.

You make a good point, Joisey. I, along with a lot of other fans, tend to overlook the internal signings. However, you are right that they were significant. Limiting my comments to outside FA's and I still believe it to be correct. Marvin seems to want to grow this team based on their skill at bringing good players here through the draft and, as you aptly point out, keeping the guys they like. FWIW I'm not one of the Mikey's too cheap guys. I think it was true, but I don't really believe that to be the case now. I just think that ML's philosophy is that you don't win by banking on a big name FA to come in and make you better right away.

Well, I don't think there was much choice for Marvin but to build through the draft -- not because of money issues but just because so much needed to be simply blown up and rebuilt. It is notable, however, that the most success the Bengals have had in FA came in that first offseason with Marvin, which was the only time I can recall the Bengals spending extensively on those outside FAs. They didn't go for the top guys but did aim a lot higher than usual. And they landed Thornton and Hardy and James and Clemons. Hardy was a bust, James was a Pro Bowler, Thornton has been a solid starter who IMHO is underrated by a lot of fans, and Clemons, at least up until this year, was a solid addition.

I would be happy if they'd try that again. They don't have to sign John Abraham but how about a serious play for Howard, for example? No Archuleta, fine, but let's take a run at Will Demps. Etc, etc. As for Sam...like I said before, I dunno. He might still be in that class...or he might be done.

Well, I don't think there was much choice for Marvin but to build through the draft -- not because of money issues but just because so much needed to be simply blown up and rebuilt. It is notable, however, that the most success the Bengals have had in FA came in that first offseason with Marvin, which was the only time I can recall the Bengals spending extensively on those outside FAs. They didn't go for the top guys but did aim a lot higher than usual. And they landed Thornton and Hardy and James and Clemons. Hardy was a bust, James was a Pro Bowler, Thornton has been a solid starter who IMHO is underrated by a lot of fans, and Clemons, at least up until this year, was a solid addition.

I would be happy if they'd try that again. They don't have to sign John Abraham but how about a serious play for Howard, for example? No Archuleta, fine, but let's take a run at Will Demps. Etc, etc. As for Sam...like I said before, I dunno. He might still be in that class...or he might be done.

Def. need to make that run for Darren Howard. Guy is an absolute stud. If we had him and Sam on the line, we would be so much better. I want Sam here because he can do so much for our line.

Def. need to make that run for Darren Howard. Guy is an absolute stud. If we had him and Sam on the line, we would be so much better. I want Sam here because he can do so much for our line.

I wouldn't mind going after Howard, but I wouldn't be a big fan of going after Adams. He is old, and I think he proved his worth in 2005 without the backup of Pat Williams. I don't think we have the personell here to allow him to succeed any measure more than he did a year ago.

I wouldn't mind going after Howard, but I wouldn't be a big fan of going after Adams. He is old, and I think he proved his worth in 2005 without the backup of Pat Williams. I don't think we have the personell here to allow him to succeed any measure more than he did a year ago.

If worst comes to worse though, I say def. make a run at Adams, only giving him 1 year though.

Re Adams, you're right on my wavelength. I think he needs a big Pat Williams or Ted Washington or Tony Tub-a-goosa type next to him to succeed -- and if we get that then I will bet you that John Thornton's nickname suddenly becomes "Sam Adams Light."