Browns win over Detroit

Who?

Browns rally late, win 21-13

August 20, 2005

DETROIT—Charlie Frye’s 7-yard touchdown pass to Braylon Edwards with 54 seconds left tied the game, and Tyler Jones’ PAT provided the go-ahead point as the Browns rallied to beat the Lions, 21-13, at Ford Field Saturday.

Michael Jameson intercepted a lateral and returned it for a touchdown on the final play of the game as the Browns improved to 2-0 in the preseason. The Lions slipped to 0-2.

Frye scrambled for 6 yards on first and goal, moving the ball to the 3, with 1:08 left. The Lions then stopped Sultan McCullough for no gain, and Frye was forced to throw the ball away on third down.

He appeared to throw a touchdown pass to McCullough on fourth down, but the play was whistled dead by a false start on Greg Randall. Edwards entered the game and split wide right; he out-jumped Michael Echols and came down inbounds to secure the touchdown.

Jameson had an interception with 41 seconds left, but the Lions had all their timeouts and forced a punt.

Trent Dilfer’s 51-yard touchdown pass to Antonio Bryant in the first quarter was the Browns’ early offensive highlight.

Dilfer finished 9-of-13 for 136 yards. Bryant led all receivers with 3 catches for 78 yards.

The Browns moved the ball well early but had little to show for it. Dilfer was sacked on a third down play on the game’s first drive, knocking the Browns out of field goal range.

Phil Dawson missed field goal tries from 56 and 51. His 51-yard try fell short on the final play of the first half.

Detroit took the lead, 10-7, with 1:00 left in the first half on a 29-yard touchdown pass from Jeff Garcia to Charles Rogers. The touchdown pass capped a 13-play, 93-yard drive. Garcia converted three first downs by running on the drive.

Garcia was intercepted twice – once on a deep ball on his first possession by Brian Russell, then again in the third quarter by Antwan Harris. He finished 9-of-15 for 99 yards.

Detroit starting quarterback Joey Harrington finished 5-of-6 for 46 yards. His only incompletion was broken up Gary Baxter; Baxter left the game on the next play after suffering a concussion in a collision with running back Kevin Jones.

William Green started at running back for the Browns and carried 7 times for 29 yards. Reuben Droughns played the second quarter and ran 8 times for 30. Last week’s starter, Lee Suggs, didn’t make the trip due to an ankle injury.

Jason Hanson’s 32-yard field goal with 7:24 left extended Detroit’s lead to 13-7. An interception by Echols on a Frye deep ball with 5:33 to go had Detroit feeling comfortable, but a fumble recovery by Sherrod Coates with 3:13 left at the Cleveland 47 gave the Browns a chance.

http://clevelandbrowns.com/news_room/news/arts/4530.0.html

Gary Baxter; Baxter left the game on the next play after suffering a concussion in a collision with running back Kevin Jones.

So...you won a meaningless preseason game against Detroit...but lost another guy in the secondary, this one somebody you forked over sizeable money to swipe from a division rival...so this is good how...? :huh:

Sorry that i'm excited to see the Browns pull of a win, I just wanted to let you guys know that Frye and Edwards were both looking good. That play where Edwards had the ball stripped away was just because he was in triple coverage and a guy beneath him just reached up and had more strength because he was on the bottom. His TD catch was very nice, Frye made a lot of good decisions during the game too. One more thing, so far all of our running backs have looked good, and Antonio Bryant has been playing great ball so far.

Suggs has been injured again with some sort of thing to his ankle, they all look pretty good so far. I take back what I said about Droughns earlier, he looks like a punishing runner.

Sorry that i'm excited to see the Browns pull of a win, I just wanted to let you guys know that Frye and Edwards were both looking good. That play where Edwards had the ball stripped away was just because he was in triple coverage and a guy beneath him just reached up and had more strength because he was on the bottom. His TD catch was very nice, Frye made a lot of good decisions during the game too. One more thing, so far all of our running backs have looked good, and Antonio Bryant has been playing great ball so far.

It is odd that everyone thought that Frye looked good. To me he looked average at best. 13/19 91 yds 1 Td 1 int. Sounds average. The thing you really have to consider is the yards per completion, 7. Dilfer (9/13 136 1 Td) had over 14 a completion. Carson Palmer (12/24 152 2 Td 1 int) had almost 13 per completion. Basically what I am trying to say is he didn't show much in terms of explosiveness as a QB. 2 runs for 5 yards against Detroit is also not great. I will say that he was solid but not spectacular. Four Detroit fumbles and three interceptions is just as much sloppy play from the Lions as it is good play from the Browns. I watched the game, and basically put, no one really impressed me or stood out to me on either team.

Who I watched this game and the Brownies looked surprisingly good. Maybe next year the Ohio teams can take back the division like it was in the good old days.

Even though it's preseason I am really surprised with how they are playing, the bad thing is that our division is stacked. I'm hoping for the same thing mista.

Who I watched this game and the Brownies looked surprisingly good.  Maybe next year the Ohio teams can take back the division like it was in the good old days.

Even though it's preseason I am really surprised with how they are playing, the bad thing is that our division is stacked. I'm hoping for the same thing mista.

It might be like watching the Bengals play after Coach Lewis got here.

Aside from the first game, you could see a HUGE difference than years past.

Every game was enjoyable, they were competitive, and just about in every game.

They only got blown out once too.

Who knows? The Browns might play like that this year.

I think they will play like that this year, Savage and Crennel have just made a lot of solid signings that "The Butcher" could never do. Our offense is what really surprises me, Bryant is going to be a dark horse pro-bowl candidate I think.

I think they will play like that this year, Savage and Crennel have just made a lot of solid signings that "The Butcher" could never do. Our offense is what really surprises me, Bryant is going to be a dark horse pro-bowl candidate I think.

Calm down now.

You have NO Pro-Bowler's on that team.

That's just a LIL bit too Homeristic.