Collin on ESPN radio today

GROIIIDayton

Collin said the Bengals are the COlts four years ago. He said there is no way we will beat any team in the first round with the exception to maybe Jax. He went on to say the Bengals will not be able to do anytihng in the cold and there only hope to make it to the second round was to get the first round bye. Then said there is no way we are getting the first round bye. I never really liked him, now he just lost a listener. He said that the Bengals got man handled by the Colts, and the Steelers this year. I don't know what the weather was in Pissburgh for that game, but if I remember correctly it was supposed to snow (even though I don't think it ever did). I think we scored 38 in that game, but we can't score against good teams in the cold. F*CK him and ESPN we need a new sports channel.

He's a jerk..I never real cared for the guy, especially since he talks *&^% about Ohio State, saying they're not deserving of going to the Fiesta Bowl. When ESPN ran those stories on Maurice Clarett, he was another ESPN tool that called OSU the worst program in the country. Also, he received a lot of criticism for bashing Pro Wrestler Eddie Guerrero, after his death. Wrestling might be an entertainment, but you can at least respect the man, as well as his family, after the tragic loss. I like listening to Fox in the morning, and they have given the Bengals their due. Collin is another hack that enjoys listening to himself.

One "expert" who would disagree would be Retep "Bengals homer" Gnik. Retep is the alternate personality who often takes over the body of Peter "Bengals hater" King. Yesterday, in his MMQB column, King was less than impressed with the Bengals' close win over an inferior opponent, ignored similar bad days by teams he likes better, and ranked the Bengals 7, behind such teams as the Chargers and Patriots.

However, since then the Gnik personality has come to the fore. Today, in his TMQ column/mailbag, Gnik writes...

COULD IT BE THE YEAR OF THE HORSE? From Mike Davia of Tulsa: "With the way the Broncos have been playing over the last few weeks, do you see them making it beyond the first game of the playoffs? They are 10-3, but their last three games (Cowboys, KC, and Baltimore) seem to have indicated that their offense is struggling. Do you see the same thing?''

The offense is struggling. But that's a better defense than Denver has had in recent years, Mike. I see your point, though. If the Broncos have to face Cincinnati in their first playoff game, I worry for them. I worry for anyone facing the Bengals in this postseason. If Denver plays anyone except Cincy, I give the game to the Broncos. If it's the Bengals ... give me some time to stew on that one.

Clearly an open and shut case of multiple personalities, eh? :rolleyes:

If the Broncos have to face Cincinnati in their first playoff game, I worry for them. I worry for anyone facing the Bengals in this postseason. If Denver plays anyone except Cincy, I give the game to the Broncos. If it's the Bengals ... give me some time to stew on that one.

I'm reluctant to agree with anything Peter King might say, but I was going to make the same point in response to the opening post with Collin Cowherds remarks. The Broncos would be a tough matchup for any team, but they're pretty miserable against the pass and that's a Bengal strength. Best, if you could turn the game into a shootout I still have a strong feeling that Jake can still be had by a defense that gameplans for turnovers.

When you get to this point there are no slouches. They could run the table or lose their first game.

I think it's funny how during the course of the season, the bar keeps getting set higher. From "they'll be lucky to finish third in the North", to "they haven't beat anybody yet", to "they don't have a chance in the playoffs". These are some of the same guys that said the Jets would give NE a run this year and that (a.) Randy Moss would not be missed in Minnesota and (b.) Oakland should be feared now that they have Randy Moss.

Hopefully they'll be saying "the Bengals won't be able to stop Seattle in the Super Bowl" in about five weeks.

Colin had the years wrong... he was referring to the Colts team of 2002, and probably 2003. The team that always was favored against the Pats, but lost because of weather-related issues... (and toughness issues)

I disagree with him... We have a power running game, but it's hard to deny him the right to see similarities. There are several people on this board that make very similar remarks.

His point is that high flying offenses don't often make it to the superbowl, unless they are lucky enough to play indoors or in warm weather stadiums through the playoffs. The Rams are pretty much the only example of this in recent years.

Nearly every other team that goes to the superbowl has a great defense, not a high flying offense. This may be due to weather... or something else. I'm not sure... whatever the reason, his theory makes sense. We have the right to disagree (and I do)... but I wouldn't call him an idiot because he hasn't gulped down our kool-aid yet.

Most high-flying offenses play indoors, while Cincy is used to the cold, so I think we have an advantage over the Colts of a couple years ago... but after last week's performance, it is hard to argue that weather definitely has more of an effect on an explosive offense than a great defense.

We will play a game at home... and I believe we will win that game... but weather very well could be a factor. Our defense is still a year away from overcoming our offense's off games.

The point is... let the season play out. Colin has a habit of being forced to admit he's wrong... Let's hope this is one of those times. But if he happens to be right, you're just a homer that doesn't like his opinion... and that is a rather immature reason to stop listening to his show.

If you don't like him... don't listen to him. Same with the Peter King thing. Otherwise... be a big boy, and understand that not everyone has to agree with you.

Collin is a turd. i hear what you are saying but there is a difference between opinions and facts.

It is a fact, Cincy CANNOT be compared to the Indy teams over the last few years for these 4 big reasons.

1. Rudi - is a better inside, power runnner than edge.

2. Cincy D leads league in take-aways (total and net).

3. Cincy plays in the elements.

4. Cincy plays in the AFC north, nto against patsy's like Houston and currently Tenn.

The opinion portion I have no probelm with. It is the opinion of many that the Cincy D will not stand up to a battle-tested playof team under playoff conditions the way a Pit, NE, or Indy will. That MAY be true if it were not for the ability to generate turnovers. would contend that our TEAM game exceeds what can be dished out by any of them save Indy. An AFC Championship match-up between Indy and Cincy at the RCA dome would be one for the ages. I do not see PIT, NE, SD, JAX or KC coming into Cincy and winning in January.

I can't blame people for wanting to compare the Bengals to former high-offense teams that had trouble in the playoffs, but I think a more apt comparison would be to the Chiefs two years ago. They relied on a good offense and an opportunistic defense, and when the turnovers didn't come, they lost. I'm not saying that our boys are going to lose anytime soon, but I could see the comparison.

As for Colin Cowherd, I can't stand the guy...and this was before any Bengals remarks. Even his commercial promos are annoying. Every day I ask God why Tony Kornheiser had to be replaced by the most annoying man on the planet. I'd take Peter King over Cowherd any day.

Beyond using Cowherds opinion as a jumping off point for discussion I have no strong feelings for what he or anyone else in the media thinks. I really don't bother myself with discussions about perceived slights or Sportscenter disses.

That said, Cowherd says the Bengals can't beat any playoff team with the possible exception of the Jags. To that end I'll add the Broncos due to their poor pass defense, the Steelers for obvious reasons, the Colts because the Bengals proved they could play with them even when they defensively picked the wrong form of poison to swallow, and due to the way past games have gone...the Patriots and the Chiefs.

And no, I didn't forget about San Diego. I just left them off the list. :o

I didn't like his argument against the Bengals at all. Saying that we were just like the Colts a couple years ago just is not a very good comparison.

1. The Bengals play outside all year long and have had success throwing in cold temperatures.

2. Rudi Johnson is a very physical back and could definitely carry the load in s**tty weather.

3. Cowherd, when asked about last weeks Pittsburgh game, he laughed it off and completely ignored the question. He also said that "A win was a win in college but not in the NFL." What the f**k is that? I would think it's the other way around. There are no polls in the NFL.

4. He said "Who would you bet your mortgage on, the Patriots or the Bengals." He said he would take the Patriots. Well, we all saw what we did to New England's D at their place in December. This game would be in Cincinnati.

To me it just didn't seem as he did his homework on this before spouting off at the mouth. The Colts are a dome team forced out into the cold in New England. The Bengals are an outdoor team that would be playing at home. Big difference.

Collin Cowherd is a joke. How long is his show? Like 3 hours or something. If you listen to the first 20 minutes, you'll hear the entire show, he repeats himself over and over and over again. He changes his opinions every week and says what sounds good.

I really wanted to call in the other day. Please explain this to me if this makes any sense to you: One day like 2 weeks ago, he was talking about the Colts offense and he said that the reason they are so good is because the offense is so simplified, they never send guys in motion, they get to the line of scrimmage, and they have a very small number of plays they call, and they run each play to perfection. Then, the very next day, he was talking about who should win the MVP, Peyton Manning or Carson Palmer. He said Peyton Manning because the Colts offense is so complex and if you stuck Palmer in that offense, he would be completly lost. The guy is an idiot. He just says stuff that supports his argument even if it makes no sense at all.

Collins is a joke, I have no clue on how he ended up w/ his position. I agree w/ somebody on a earlier post that stated that majority of the people on this website know more than his dumb a**. The Bengals are a team that nobody wants to play in the playoffs. They have the potential to put up 50 points on any given sunday

I have hammered on this asshat for a while now. He is guy who loves getting on the team whos fans will get the most upset. Right now, it's bengal fans.

However, the very next show after the Indy game, his whole open was how Cincy had the #2 offense in the NFL, and the team was no joke. He was reaping praises on the bengals. Now all of a sudden it's back to dissing the "overrated" bengals and making fun of the fight song.

This, my friends, is why I stick to Jim Rome. Cowherd is a hypocritical idiot.

i stick with rome man cowherd pissed me off a long time ago when he bashed the hurricanes for a 3 year old rap song the day after he had coker on and talked about what a great coach he is and how the program is clean as a whistle he is a hypocrite and we need to realize a few things.

Talk show hosts, sportscenter hosts and writers are all just people with degrees in journalism and not football. they arent experts and there opinions i take with a grain of salt the only difference between me and them is the journalism or broadcast degree which is useless and a microphone i dont have. i take the opinions of guys like ditka who played and coached in the nfl no one else.

the last thing i would say is even half way through the season he said eli was better than palmer and palmer wasnt a top 10 qb in this league. that is ignorant.

Colin is a radio host. He doesn't really concern himself with always being right... as much as interesting. He clearly has succeeded here... but I'd like to point out a funny inconsistency.

Yesterday, when bashing the Bengals for barely beating Cleveland, he did in fact say that a win is not a win in the NFL (whatever that means).

Today, when praising Seattle, he disregarded the fact that Seattle should have lost to NYG, and only beat SF by 2 a few weeks ago, because the NFL isn't like college where Ohio State can beat Illinois by however much they want.

It's just funny to listen to him talk out of both sides of his mouth on a given topic to win whatever his point is. He is interesting to listen to for this very reason...

(allow me though to throw out there that despite how poor his arguments, he is usually right... Just not about Carson Palmer... and hopefully the Bengals!)