Power rankings...

derekshank

The Giants and Bengals should be way up there. You want to talk about no respect NY could take it all they like us are peaking at the right time!

Uh, as much as I wish you were right, the last thing the Giants are doing right now is 'peaking'...while their defense is playing like one of the best in the league, the offense has regressed.

Chicago may have a defense that's light years better than the Bengals' - but they still can't stop their offense ultimately - and the Bears' offense can't score points.

Cincy is a better team than Chicago...still.

Yet, I could really care less about any of these rankings, all that stuff is sorted out in the playoffs, which are still 5 weeks away.

i don't understand how the Bengals could be ranked above the Colts in any ranking, be it a panel's creation or that of a mathematical formula.

Roughly speaking, FO's DVOA system takes into consideration both strength of schedule and strength of victory. So a big win over a good team counts for a lot, for example, while a big win over a crappy team counts for much less. The bottom line is that Cincy had two big wins over Minny and Chicago, which are both now considered good teams, and that's skewing the rankings some.

ok goin with that philosophy joisey....didnt the colts beat the bengals, steelers, jaguars, and patriots already? colts have had a harder schedule no matter how u look at it. no way we should be #1 over an undefeated team.

ok goin with that philosophy joisey....didnt the colts beat the bengals, steelers, jaguars, and patriots already? colts have had a harder schedule no matter how u look at it. no way we should be #1 over an undefeated team.

It takes into consideration margin of victory. We beat Chicago 24-7, and Minnesota 37-8. I agree that the Colts are #1, and any mathematical formula that stats otherwise seems very similar to the BCS... completely unable to function in coherence with a fact than any human could decipher... but nonetheless... the formula says we're #1... so we must be! There is no arguing with the hard sciences... (this sarcasm is clearly indicative of my post-modern belief system)

I think that 42-0 Seattle win says more about Philly than about Seattle. My buddy is a huge Philly fan, and we both agreed you could just tell when they quit. It was right after the kickoff.

Anyway, in the original post I believe the major problem with the power rankings is that they take into account the scoring of the opponent. You can't really just crunch numbers and get a total feel for the game. There is more to it than that.

Hell, the only numbers I care about are the final score and our record. Everything else is just window dressing. I could care less if we don't get the respect. When you win, everything else will follow. So just keep winning.