Palmer says Colts are soft

Jet23

can you post a link

http://forum.colts.com/

Those ANTI-COLT flags are BLINDING! :D

I don't think Carson should have called them a finesse team since Edge is one of the top rushers in the league and Freeny and Mathis are tops in sacks. This might motivate them to prove otherwise.

Oh come on, the Colts are a finesse team. They are smooth on offense. They have been for years now. Why is Edge having such a great year.....the same reason he always has a great year, teams respect the finesse part of their offensive attack so much their willing to slack on the run to avoid the big play down field. Now, quote me on this.....I am not saying the only reason Edge is successful is because of their pass attack.....I'm just saying, along with everyone who knows anything about football......the pass opens up the run as well as the run opening up the pass. But the colts run the ball to pass, not the other way around.

The main reason the colt's are a finesse team is because they pass the ball on 1st and goal on the 3 or 4 yard line. Other teams like pittsburgh and say the patriots (just to name a couple) will more than likely come straight at you 3 plays in a row. But not the colts, they are so smooth with the finesse part of the game they can more easily run those fades to harrison and wayne.

Now for their defense....freeny is the best defensive player in the league (nuff said) and mathis is pretty damn good himself. Overall, their defense "THIS YEAR" has been phenomenal. I stress "this year" because the only reason payton doesn't have a rock on his finger is fault to the colts' defense. It most certainly has not been as consistent the past few seasons. Nonetheless, this is still not significant enough to take away the "finesse" label they posess.

And finnally, the colts' have absolutely nothing to prove on Sunday.....at the moment they are the best team in football, so, I think Carson hit the nail right on the head.........and yes (whoever stated this on a previous post), it was a compliment.

I do not know if you watched the playoff game against the PATRIOTS/COLTS last year.. but, the DEFENSE showed up in the first half... the Offense did not establish the run early... they went straight for the pass... and Edge only got I believe 39 rushing yards the whole game. So, the defense was on the field A LOT!!!! This year... the Colts do not play the offense like that... they are much more balanced. They are RUNNING more the PASSING this year.

Like I said.. had a Colts player said the Colts were a physical team and the Bengals were a finesse team... you would see it differently!

You are defending my argument for me......their defense showed up the first half? You can do better than that. That's my whole point.....this year they're playing all 4 quarters (that's the difference). And yes I did watch the game and I'm wondering if you really did (they lost because of their defense just like every year up to this point).......the colts offensive scheme has not changed. If so it has very, very little but I don't believe it has. Edge will always get his carries and his yards. See, the only thing people like you see from the colts' this year is the fact they're not on record breaking pace like they were last year. It'll be hard for any team even them to repeat a performance like that again. Still though they are a finesse team and they are the same ol' colts. They have finnally got back on track the last two weeks if you've kept track. They threw the ball all over the pats and texans. Hence Edge's yards.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can you post a link

http://forum.colts.com/

Those ANTI-COLT flags are BLINDING! :D

I don't think Carson should have called them a finesse team since Edge is one of the top rushers in the league and Freeny and Mathis are tops in sacks. This might motivate them to prove otherwise.

Oh come on, the Colts are a finesse team. They are smooth on offense. They have been for years now. Why is Edge having such a great year.....the same reason he always has a great year, teams respect the finesse part of their offensive attack so much their willing to slack on the run to avoid the big play down field. Now, quote me on this.....I am not saying the only reason Edge is successful is because of their pass attack.....I'm just saying, along with everyone who knows anything about football......the pass opens up the run as well as the run opening up the pass. But the colts run the ball to pass, not the other way around.

The main reason the colt's are a finesse team is because they pass the ball on 1st and goal on the 3 or 4 yard line. Other teams like pittsburgh and say the patriots (just to name a couple) will more than likely come straight at you 3 plays in a row. But not the colts, they are so smooth with the finesse part of the game they can more easily run those fades to harrison and wayne.

Now for their defense....freeny is the best defensive player in the league (nuff said) and mathis is pretty damn good himself. Overall, their defense "THIS YEAR" has been phenomenal. I stress "this year" because the only reason payton doesn't have a rock on his finger is fault to the colts' defense. It most certainly has not been as consistent the past few seasons. Nonetheless, this is still not significant enough to take away the "finesse" label they posess.

And finnally, the colts' have absolutely nothing to prove on Sunday.....at the moment they are the best team in football, so, I think Carson hit the nail right on the head.........and yes (whoever stated this on a previous post), it was a compliment.

I do not know if you watched the playoff game against the PATRIOTS/COLTS last year.. but, the DEFENSE showed up in the first half... the Offense did not establish the run early... they went straight for the pass... and Edge only got I believe 39 rushing yards the whole game. So, the defense was on the field A LOT!!!! This year... the Colts do not play the offense like that... they are much more balanced. They are RUNNING more the PASSING this year.

Like I said.. had a Colts player said the Colts were a physical team and the Bengals were a finesse team... you would see it differently!

You are defending my argument for me......their defense showed up the first half? You can do better than that. That's my whole point.....this year they're playing all 4 quarters (that's the difference). And yes I did watch the game and I'm wondering if you really did (they lost because of their defense just like every year up to this point).......the colts offensive scheme has not changed. If so it has very, very little but I don't believe it has. Edge will always get his carries and his yards. See, the only thing people like you see from the colts' this year is the fact they're not on record breaking pace like they were last year. It'll be hard for any team even them to repeat a performance like that again. Still though they are a finesse team and they are the same ol' colts. They have finnally got back on track the last two weeks if you've kept track. They threw the ball all over the pats and texans. Hence Edge's yards.

Well, the Colts are STILL breaking records this year... it just ISNT all PEYTON! Marvin and Edge broke Emmit Smith and Michael Irvin's record... this past weekend... Marvin and Peyton are the first duo in NFL HISTORY to break 10,000 yrds. AND Edge just tied for 8th in NFL History for his 47 games with 100yrds or more. Peyton and Marvin just broke Young/Rice records for most TD passes!

So, it has nothing to do with records. Yes, the Colts offense HAS CHANGED... They were a MOSTLY passing offense last season.. which explained 3 WR's with over 1,000 yrds and 10TD's or more. Edge did rush for 1,548 yrds and 9TD's... but, no one ever gives him enough credit! Which I DO!

Edge rushed for his yards over the Texans and the Patriots... see, what people do NOT UNDERSTAND IS... in the beginning of the season... teams were not biting the play-action fake... so, the Colts ran EDGE... who is more than capable of reminding other teams that he is a threat... now, teams are worried about Edge again.. Edge won the first 5 games for the Colts... along with the defense.. when teams worry about Edge.. that opens up the passing game. And, it is working in the Colts favor... you have to pick! Stop Edge.. or Stop Manning... you can not stop them both at the same time... the key is to outscore them

Nonetheless, they are a pass oriented football team.....have been for years and it hasn't changed. That's all I'm saying. Records, no records....they run to pass not pass to run. Regardless of how good James is they throw the football. That hasn't changed and won't in the near future.

Have you looked at their average?? The Colts RUN more than they PASS this year! That is why they are #6 is RUSHING and #9 in PASSING. It is not their fault that they are capable of BOTH. Do you know that James had more rushing yards than Peyton had passing yards in a game this year? I do not remember which one it was... but, I remember it was a big deal. I will look it up. Also, Edge had more RECEIVING yards than Marvin, Reggie and Brandon in one game this year. I will have to look that up too... but, I know he lead in receiving earlier in the season in one game.

Eh Colt fans are as bad as blind steeler fans =P one said we were in the NFC,most have same stance on other haters yet lets see.....they diss us for playing close game with texans...yet the Browns held them to 13 pts.

they'll run the ball on us but let them throw it manning will throw 3 I n t's this sunday

Eh Colt fans are as bad as blind steeler fans =P one said we were in the NFC,most have same stance on other haters yet lets see.....they diss us for playing close game with texans...yet the Browns held them to 13 pts.

they'll run the ball on us but let them throw it manning will throw 3 I n t's this sunday

Has this Colts fan *ME* said anything about a Cleveland game? Wasn't that in week #1 (Bengals) and #3 (Colts)? What does that have to do with week #11?

Like a said a couple weeks back during the last go-round on the finesse v. smashmouth subject, I find the whole concept rather silly. Come Sunday, a bunch of 200-300lb. guys are going to go beat the crap out of one another for three hours; this is a job for which no non-smashmouth people need apply.

The way I see it, both the Bengals and Colts are pretty evenly matched. On defense, we are giving up only about 35 more yards a game, on average, than they are. Per play, our D gives up about 1 foot more...BFD. Our third down stuff percentages are virtually equal, and our fourth down stop percentage is much better. They have more sacks, we have more picks.

On offense, Indy converts more third downs and has fewer penalties...but the Bengals' penalty problems seem to be behind them and while they aren't 1st in the AFC on 3rd down conversions like Indy, they are 5th, so it isn't as if they suck.

It's anyone's game.

Just a few points here...

1) This is not the smack forum. Edge posted a great thread and most are contributing to it.

2) Edge was right about this being just another game. Like with the Texans. That is what our players and coaches have been saying for 2 weeks. They are not all about the media hype...they don't care. They are going to practice to play them like they practice against any other team (Just hopefully they don't practice for this one like they practiced for the Jags and Steelers - lol)

3) Against the Ravens on the 6th people called out the Bengals as a Finess team and it really pissed off Willie and the OL & DL. I cannot speak for Carson, but I'm sure that he didn't mean it that way. If you listen to a lot of his sound bites, you will catch him talking about Manning. His respect for Manning and what him and Harrison do. Chad has that same respect. Heck, how many player combo's will admittinglty go to another teams game to watch the chemestry of 2 players in person? I think that shows class and repsect from Carson and Chad to Manning and Harrison.

Colts have been a top Offense for quite a few years now. Their D has come into their own. They are a very ballanced team and come into town with swagger. It's going to be a fun contest to watch and be a part of (of course I'm going! PBS is going to be loud...I prolly won't be able to talk all next week! - lol) and here is looking forward to an injury free game for both teams! :cheers:

WHO-DEY

My thoughts:

The Colts have a finesse passing game and a power running game. Last season, the passing game was their offense. This season they have balanced it out. They now remind me a lot of what the Bengals offensive game is. The Colts get the national spotlight, while the Bengals are often overlooked, but the caliber of play is very similar.

The Colts have a strong sacking dline and an above average secondary. The Bengals have an average dline, and a spectacular secondary.

This is going to be one of the best games of the season, and is a perfect example of why the idiots on the NFL's scheduling committee should be shot for giving the wrong teams Monday Night games because they are in big markets instead of finding a way to get a competitive game on TV.

The Patriot game last year? The D showed up? No, I think mother nature showed up. The Colts have had to run this year more because of the way defenses are playing them. DB's are playing"don't give up the big one" style and it has been to Edge's benefit. I really don't believe it's because Indy has turned into a smash-mouth type of team in just one year.

The Colts are the best team in the NFL right now but when I think smash mouth, the Colts don't even come to mind.

Nonetheless, they are a pass oriented football team.....have been for years and it hasn't changed. That's all I'm saying. Records, no records....they run to pass not pass to run. Regardless of how good James is they throw the football. That hasn't changed and won't in the near future.

Have you looked at their average?? The Colts RUN more than they PASS this year! That is why they are #6 is RUSHING and #9 in PASSING. It is not their fault that they are capable of BOTH. Do you know that James had more rushing yards than Peyton had passing yards in a game this year? I do not remember which one it was... but, I remember it was a big deal. I will look it up. Also, Edge had more RECEIVING yards than Marvin, Reggie and Brandon in one game this year. I will have to look that up too... but, I know he lead in receiving earlier in the season in one game.

Like I stated earlier......defenses are so concerned with the colts passing game their willing to slack on the run to aviod the big downfield plays. When teams play the colts they prepare for both the run and the pass (because the colts are so effective with both) but they place emphasis on the pass. Lucky for the colts' Tony and the rest of the coaching staff realizes this and they do what they have to to win. It certainly doesn't convert them over to a smashmouth organization. Matter of fact, Peyton manages most of the game from the line of scrimmage....reading the defense. If the colts have more rushing than passing attempts this year......it's probably because Peyton is seeing that extra DB out there and audibles to the run. With 3 1000 yd. recievers a year ago the opposition HAS to emphasize their pass defense when playing the colts. A smashmouth offense will try and run it down your throat even when you have 8 guys in the box. If the Bengals put 8 men in the box on Sunday (not only would we be stupid asses) we'd get our brains beat 100 to nothing. It's not the colts fault they're finessed, they have the personnel in which they need not to rely on one aspect. The Steelers on the other hand are going to run the ball regardless.....why you may ask? Simple they don't have Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, and Brandon Stokely. They have Parker, Bettis, and Staley. That's a smashmouth organization. That's a RUN OFFENSE. I'm sorry but the colts are a passing offense and In MY OPINION, along with Carson....they are a finesse team. They do both well, yes, but be realistic here!

I bet if you asked the Defensive Coordinators, that have faced the Colts, how to stop them they will tell you that they basically have no idea. They are playing the pass this year, because Manning had 1,000 td passes last year. Now they are getting beat by Edge. It's pick your poison, try to match their scoring, and hope you get some breaks.

I bet if you asked the Defensive Coordinators, that have faced the Colts, how to stop them they will tell you that they basically have no idea. They are playing the pass this year, because Manning had 1,000 td passes last year. Now they are getting beat by Edge. It's pick your poison, try to match their scoring, and hope you get some breaks.

I agree. This is the primary cause for James's numbers going up this season, not any change in the Colts gameplan. No team would just reverse their entire philosophy on offense the season after that same offense finished number one in the NFL and broke all sorts of long standing records.

I agree. This is the primary cause for James's numbers going up this season, not any change in the Colts gameplan. No team would just reverse their entire philosophy on offense the season after that same offense finished number one in the NFL and broke all sorts of long standing records.

I also think Manning understands that you can't be a 'gun slinger' and win a championship. The only high powered offensive team that I can think of that won a Super Bowl is the Rams. And that is because what they were doing was so different than what the Coordinators were used to seeing.

This is going to be one of the best games of the season, and is a perfect example of why the idiots on the NFL's scheduling committee should be shot for giving the wrong teams Monday Night games because they are in big markets instead of finding a way to get a competitive game on TV.

:rolleyes:

Green Bay and Minnesota are big markets now?

Green Bay is a huge market. The city itself may be dinky, but the fan base stretched all over the country. People love the Packers. The same cannot be said of the Vikings, but they are in this Monday Night game at Lambeau Field. They are intended to play the role of losing a close game to a Favre 4th quarter comeback.

Green Bay is a huge market. The city itself may be dinky, but the fan base stretched all over the country. People love the Packers. The same cannot be said of the Vikings, but they are in this Monday Night game at Lambeau Field. They are intended to play the role of losing a close game to a Favre 4th quarter comeback.

Yeah, I know about Green Bay's fan base, I just thought it was funny that either of those teams could be construed as a large market team when they're probably, in terms of local population, smaller than Cincinnati. Of course they both have bigger fan bases, and get more MNF spots as a result, but...well, it only makes sense, doesn't it?

i think the colts have been a finesse team the past few years and i dont think much has changed i will reserve judgement for sunday.

that is like saying the bengals have sucked for the last few years so they do now

Good point, but I do see some differences. The Bengals have indeed sucked of late, but to claim they still do suck could be easily debated. There are plenty of reasons one could say that the Bengals do not suck, and those reasons would be tough to argue logically.

As for the Colts being a finesse team, it isn't quite the same story. There are still perfectly logical reasons for fans outside of the Colts sphere of infulence to believe this. Yes, they are running the ball more often than they have in the recent past, but as people have already mentioned here, that is not because of any sort of change in offensive philosophy by the Colts coaching staff. If defenses weren't dropping eight into coverage all the time like they have been this season, then I think there is little debate that Peyton's numbers would more resemble those of last season, and Edgerrin's numbers would effectively look less MVP caliber.