Redskins grant Bailey permission to seek a trade

smizzy

In a stunning move that certainly grabbed the attention of league general managers on an otherwise serene Friday afternoon, ESPN.com has learned the Washington Redskins have granted star cornerback Champ Bailey permission to initiate trade discussions with other franchises, in advance of the start of the free-agency period early next month.

Several teams confirmed to ESPN.com that they received from agent Jack Reale faxed notification of the surprising move. Reale did not immediately return phone messages on Friday but a Washington source confirmed that Redskins owner Dan Snyder on Thursday night agreed that Bailey can speak with other clubs.

Bailey, 25, just finished the final season of his original NFL contract and he technically is eligible for unrestricted free agency, although the Redskins could limit his options.

The move could signal an impasse in negotiations, aimed at extending the contract of the five-year veteran and four-time Pro Bowl performer, or it might reflect any number of potential scenarios. Among them: The team could attempt to recoup draft choices it might invest in acquiring quarterback Mark Brunell from the Jacksonville Jaguars in the coming days. Or the Redskins, having recently signed strong-side linebacker LaVar Arrington to a blockbuster contract, may have decided they cannot afford to have two such highly-paid defenders on the same roster.

Arrington on Dec. 28 signed an eight-year contract worth $60 million-$68 million and the deal included a signing bonus of $15.5 million and option bonus of $4.5 million.

Even when players are granted permission to speak with other teams, trades are rarely consummated, and the Redskins reserve the prerogative, of course, to reject offers from around the league. But the fact Snyder would put a player of Bailey's stature on the trade block certainly sent ripples through the NFL on Friday afternoon.

"My first reaction," said one AFC general manager, "was that it was a joke. Once I found out it was (legitimate), I mean, how could I ignore it? The guy is only 25 years old, is a bona fide star in the league, and plays a 'must have' position. You've got to at least find out the price of doing business."

Even before the start of the 2004 campaign, Snyder raised the possibility with other NFL owners of trading his star cornerback. He casually mentioned to Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank, for instance, that Bailey might be available for the right price.

Redskins chief negotiator Eric Schaffer huddled with Reale in Atlanta early this week and essentially offered a contract similar to the proposal the Redskins made to Bailey during training camp last summer. That proposal was reportedly for a nine-year contract worth about $55 million and featuring total bonus money of approximately $14 million. It was rejected by Bailey and Reale in the summer and, sources said, was no better received this time around.

Earlier in the week, Reale said he was "open minded" about the resumed negotiations and termed the session with Schaffer as "cordial." It will not be surprising, given new events, if Reale is a very popular man next week, when general managers and even some owners convene in Indianapolis for the annual NFL Scouting Combine workouts.

The Redskins still reserve the right to designate Bailey as a "franchise" player, a move that would significantly limit his mobility in the free-agency period, which begins March 3. And if Washington cannot strike an extension agreement with Bailey, or receive a trade offer it considers viable, using the "franchise" tag is the strongest likelihood.

But the "franchise" designation for a cornerback carries a $6.801 million impact against the Washington salary cap and the Redskins probably would be forced to carry that late into the summer. Historically, at least, applying a "franchise" designation often creates acrimony between a team and the player affected by it.

Or, if the "franchise" tag is exercised, Bailey could quickly accept the guaranteed money, decline any attempts to sign a subsequent long-term deal, and force Snyder to carry a very unwieldy cap number on the cornerback for the 2004 campaign.

The seventh player chosen overall in the 1999 draft, and universally acknowledged as one of the NFL's premier players at one of its highest-profile positions, Bailey was elected to the NFC Pro Bowl team each of the past four seasons. The former University of Georgia star has never missed a game in five seasons, making 80 straight appearances.

Bailey has recorded 313 tackles and 18 interceptions during his career and most talent evaluators agree he fits the term "shut-down cornerback."

Redskins | Bailey Granted Speaking Permission - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:07:50 -0800

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Washington Redskins have granted soon-to-be unrestricted free agent CB Champ Bailey permission to speak with other teams. Even though Bailey is set to become an unrestricted free agent, the Redskins could still limit his options until the NFL free agency period officially begins in March. Reportedly, Bailey and his agent Jack Reale have turned down a Redskins' offer in the estimated range of $55 million over nine seasons, with bonuses reaching the $14 million neighborhood - similar to the deal offered to him last season. If the team were to place the franchise tag on him, it would cost them $6.801 million against the 2004 salary cap.

Redskins need a running back,  Bengals need a cornerback.  Lets trade a C.D. for a Champ!

Won't happen, you can't trade an unrestricted free agent. By rule, he's not yours.

Mikey's done alot of things differently lately. Who's to say we won't bust the cap, get who we want, and live with it because of the talent which is available, eh? 

Mikey is still Mike. He won't do anything like this

Champ Bailey is NOT coming to Cincinnati as much as most want to believe. If he turned down that kind of money in Washington, he will not be offered anything close for being a Bengal. The only way he could would be to take a major pay cut -- money that he could earn on other teams -- on a short term deal. This would be great, but the mighty dollar does have a loud voice.

Won't happen, you can't trade an unrestricted free agent.  By rule, he's not yours.

Well, no one is a free agent right now; the FA period doesn't start until March 3, which is why the 'Skins are safe letting Champ chat with other teams. No one could sign him...yet. They still have a couple weeks to levy the franchise tag, which I'm sure they will do unless Bailey's agent comes up with a blockbuster deal. And Dillon could certainly be part of anything the Bengals might offer.

Mikey is still Mike.  He won't do anything like this

Yeah, and he doesn't give rising young wideouts big-bucks contract extensions in the middle of the season, either, right? :)

Champ Bailey is NOT coming to Cincinnati as much as most want to believe.  If he turned down that kind of money in Washington, he will not be offered anything close for being a Bengal.

Probably not...but on the other hand Marvin, who has in-depth knowledge of Champ, has to be salivating at the prospect of lining him up opposite Tory James. And we could package a nice deal, say our 1st, 4th, and CD. That alone would open up cap space from CD and not having a big-dollar first-round pick to sign. As for any deal's affordability under the cap, that's always arrangeable. How about this: 4 year deal, $32 million total. Signing bonus $12 million, salaries $1m, $3m, $6m $10m, cap numbers $4m, $6m, $9m, $13m. Basically it's a 2-year deal for $16m and then we renegotiate to lower the cap number. Or you could do a lower, longer overall deal with escalators that kick in at fairly low levels after the first couple years, meaning renegotiation. The bottom line is that this is how other teams do business, and whether Mikey likes it or not he's going to have to play the game.

Yeah, and he doesn't give rising young wideouts big-bucks contract extensions in the middle of the season, either, right?

I'm still wondering how the hell that happened. :lol: It's like buying a huge house and a week later, its still amazing how you got that house.

Well, no one is a free agent right now; the FA period doesn't start until March 3, which is why the 'Skins are safe letting Champ chat with other teams. No one could sign him...yet. They still have a couple weeks to levy the franchise tag, which I'm sure they will do unless Bailey's agent comes up with a blockbuster deal. And Dillon could certainly be part of anything the Bengals might offer.

Yea, you're right. My problem is why would we trade for his rights and then sign him? If it happens, it happens. But if we sign him, I really believe it will hit our payroll hard as opposed to lesser publisized players.

Probably not...but on the other hand Marvin, who has in-depth knowledge of Champ, has to be salivating at the prospect of lining him up opposite Tory James. And we could package a nice deal, say our 1st, 4th, and CD. That alone would open up cap space from CD and not having a big-dollar first-round pick to sign. As for any deal's affordability under the cap, that's always arrangeable. How about this: 4 year deal, $32 million total. Signing bonus $12 million, salaries $1m, $3m, $6m $10m, cap numbers $4m, $6m, $9m, $13m. Basically it's a 2-year deal for $16m and then we renegotiate to lower the cap number. Or you could do a lower, longer overall deal with escalators that kick in at fairly low levels after the first couple years, meaning renegotiation. The bottom line is that this is how other teams do business, and whether Mikey likes it or not he's going to have to play the game.

It could work, but I really believe that's asking a lot of sacrafice for the team. I believe he's a good player, but we could benefit more as a team if work on the draft and free agency and pick up a few good players rather than a great CB. That's just been my thoughts since Griffey came to Cincy in 2k.

But if we sign him, I really believe it will hit our payroll hard as opposed to lesser publisized players.

No doubt about that, but also consider that if someone (not the Bengals) does drop a big-bucks contract on Champ (say something in the $7m/year range), it would likely have the same effect that the Dry Bly deal did last year. The price of DBs goes up another notch and suddenly teams are dropping stupid sums on marginal players (what did Cory Hall get again, $3m a year? :o )

Figure someone halfway decent like Plummer will want something in the $5m/year range. Well, heck, were we to trade Dillon and our first-round pick, there's another $3-4m, which covers the upgrade to Champ.

Just to be clear, I'm not arguing the Bengals should do this. Like you, I think it's a tough call. Do you drop the bomb on a proven 4-time Pro Bowl CB who's just 25? Hey, FAs like that don't come along every day. And there are a lot of Bengal fans who point to the Reggie White signing in Green Bay years ago, which announced their intention to be a big-time club and not a backwater, and say the Bengals need to do something like this in order to finally kill their rep among players as a cheap and uninnovative (sal cap wise) team not really dedicated to winning.

On the other hand, what if you can get Plummer plus Randy Starks plus, oh, a solid FA guard with the same dough? Plummer is certainly adequate (and better than anything we have with the possible exception of James), the Bengals have one shutdown-corner-hopeful in Weathersby, and a big bruiser in the middle of the d-line would make the whole secondary's job easier. And the o-line has two senior citizens who need replacing.

I honestly can't choose between the options. My bet is that the Bengals don't go from Champ. But they might surprise us all.

I think with the FA signees from last year in place of bringing back or even offering the contract that Spikes wanted, showed simply that you can add quality through quantity as well.

We all know that we got 5 players for what it would have cost to keep Takeo even if he wanted to come back.

If we are seriously going to go after Champ, then we have to drop dead weight on the salary cap. Oliver Gibson,Tony Williams,(draft a replacement) trade Corey Dillon,Dump Jeff Burris,make a max. tendered offer of one year to Rudi ( 1st,and3rd compensation) if we lose him (oh well) and dump the contracts of some other bums we've kept around for too long. Hawkins, and the list goes on and on.

Kitna has to restructure his contract

whatever we do, we have to be able to push cap space to the next increase in either '05 or '06.

Just FYI, the Champ rumor of the day (from NFL gossip site profootballtalk.com) is that the Chiefs are hot for Bailey, and are working on a deal with DC. No details, tho the site opines that any deal would include at least KC's first (to which I respond, well, friggin' duh!!!!).

I've said it before...Enogh with the Champ talk...He ain't gonna be a Bengal...He's too bloddy expensive....It doesn't address the team needs...Yeah, the Bengals need a CB, but then they need a Safety, a DT, MLB, and a DE....And that's just on defense....I won't even go into the offense and teams needs....One great Corner and nobody else, plus the players you have to cut to get under the cap....

Now saying that...If the Bengals cleared about 15 million more in cap space...Now we're talkin :D

I've said it before...Enogh with the Champ talk...He ain't gonna be a Bengal...He's too bloddy expensive....It doesn't address the team needs...Yeah, the Bengals need a CB, but then they need a Safety, a DT, MLB, and a DE....And that's just on defense....I won't even go into the offense and teams needs....One great Corner and nobody else, plus the players you have to cut to get under the cap....

Now saying that...If the Bengals cleared about 15 million more in cap space...Now we're talkin :D

Bye-bye Corey, and we're close.

Bailey is the man, he can be left alone and trusted to do his job, but playing the AFC north with need to worry more about the run, the point about the trade off with Spikes sets us up for what we should do this year, leave Bailey alone as good as he is, the expense is way to much, instead we can focus on stopping the run(playing Lewis and Suggs twice a year). The Draft can provide us some needed D. D Line, LB or DB. plus Weathersbywho has hieght and speed will be healthy and ready to step up, before he got shot he was a top prospect. So let other teams over pay for Bailey and let us focus elsewhere.

Champ rumor of the day, from the Detroit media via profootballtalk.com: the Lions have joined the Chiefs as front-runners for Bailey's services. The 'Skins, not surprisingly, are demanding a high price for Champ, reportedly a 1st, a 2nd, and a player.

At that price, I'll pass.

I saw this line in the nytimes:

"The Jets are expected to release cornerback Aaron Beasley this spring and are in the market for a top-flight cornerback to pair with Donnie Abraham to shore up their secondary."

Beasley's no champ but he has been pretty good for awhile. Is his tank empty or is he someone who can still contribute? Last year he had 61 tackles and 3 int's.

Maybe smizzy has a view on this.

The Cards have also been ID'd as in the Champ sweepstakes. Denny Green apparently has a woody for him. They've reportedly contacted Bailey's agent to find out what his money requirements are.

I'm not a cardinals fan by any stretch of the imagination but it would be moronic for them to go after Bailey. They have way too many holes to blow their load on a single player.