top safety prospects

CBin2k7

Ko Simpson declared. Whether we get him or not, it seriously deepens the top talent at the position and helps us out. Now if only Bing and Landry will declare, will be guaranteed some serious talent in the first and VERY GOOD talent in the second.

KO and Bing have definitely deepened the safety pool. Laron Landry opted to stay at LSU, but still there are safeties all over the place, which should push quality ones deep into the draft. This might be an ideal year to grab 2 -- one on each day.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the depth of this years safety class could allow us to use our first round pick on a D-Tackle, Tight end or maybe even Cromartie. The depth of the class is the only thing that could allow me to accept drafting on offense.

I think the depth of this years safety class could allow us to use our first round pick on a D-Tackle, Tight end or maybe even Cromartie. The depth of the class is the only thing that could allow me to accept drafting on offense.

I added 1 mock to the database earlier today that had us landing Bing in the second after taking Wright in the first. On top of that a number of mocks have Notre Dame's Fasano falling to the third. Wright-Bing-Fasano? I like that.

After watching the first half of the Senior Bowl, I would do anything to get Addae.

He has an INT, a big hit coming over the top on a 260 pound DE, and he contained Sinorice Moss for a measly gain of two yards when he covered him in the slot.

Sign him up.

My opinion as of now is to take a LB (Sims or Greenway), DE (Hali or Kiwanuka), DT (Watson or Wright), CB (Cromartie or Hill) or TE in the first round, and take Addae in the second or Roman Harper in the third.

After watching the first half of the Senior Bowl, I would do anything to get Addae.

He has an INT, a big hit coming over the top on a 260 pound DE, and he contained Sinorice Moss for a measly gain of two yards when he covered him in the slot.

Sign him up.

My opinion as of now is to take a LB (Sims or Greenway), DE (Hali or Kiwanuka), DT (Watson or Wright), CB (Cromartie or Hill) or TE in the first round, and take Addae in the second or Roman Harper in the third.

Yeah I'm glad Addae was on the roster -- I thought he wasn't until I noticed him during a practice at corner, where he also saw his share of action against Moss and Obamanu during the game. Pretty impressive. But even more of what caught my eye was how hard he belted TE TJ Williams deep in the seam. Great break on the ball from free safety and just the willingness to deliver that kind of hit in that situation is a highly desirable quality in a safety. He still don't seem like he's 200 lbs but he weighed in that IIRC.

Glad he didn't get injured seriously on that lick he laid on DeAngelo Williams at the beginning of the game. For awhile there it looked like he wasn't gettng back up.

Harper was laying some wood for real and Hali looked pretty fast from the edge. Not caring who won or lost made it more fun to watch what each position or player was doing. With the talent out there, the potential for a huge defensive draft is out there. Boy I can't wait until April !!!

WHODEY !!!

The defensive players that caught my eye the most were Addae, Harper, Hali and Pat Watkins. Travis Williams played pretty well I think, and I was very impressed by Anwar Phillips and Parys Haralson.

Will Blackmon obviously isn't a DB.

I was not at all impressed by Gabe Watson.

One of the most impressive thing to me about Addae's performence is that he played a majority, something out of the norm for all star games.

I liked how Brodie Croyle was doing.

And the way Kiwanuka's stock is falling, I think we can get him without having to trade up.

One of the most impressive thing to me about Addae's performence is that he played a majority, something out of the norm for all star games.

Addae was doubly impressive because he got both practice and game time at 2 positions -- CB and FS. I never saw him once at West Va do anything other than play deep safety in their stack 3-3-5. So the time at CB was a boost for him because it was most likely asked for by league people. He's got Madieu written all over him, eh?

I would of warning, however. I don't see Addae on the combine invite list. Last year, IIRC, only 1 second rounder was drafted who wasn't invited to the combine.

Addae was doubly impressive because he got both practice and game time at 2 positions -- CB and FS. I never saw him once at West Va do anything other than play deep safety in their stack 3-3-5. So the time at CB was a boost for him because it was most likely asked for by league people. He's got Madieu written all over him, eh?

I would of warning, however. I don't see Addae on the combine invite list. Last year, IIRC, only 1 second rounder was drafted who wasn't invited to the combine.

Hey, I have no problem with that. Pick him up in the third.

And the way Kiwanuka's stock is falling, I think we can get him without having to trade up.

Or pass on him completely if there isn't a plausible explanation for why he looked so bad during the practices. Seriously, I've never seen a highly ranked DE end up on the ground as consistently as Kiwi was. It seemed like every blocker, not just D'Brick, planted Kiwi when he attempted to turn his pass rush inside.

Or pass on him completely if there isn't a plausible explanation for why he looked so bad during the practices. Seriously, I've never seen a highly ranked DE end up on the ground as consistently as Kiwi was. It seemed like every blocker, not just D'Brick, planted Kiwi when he attempted to turn his pass rush inside.

Agree with you here Hair. Kiwi looked less than advertised all week during the practices and most importantly, during the game. Last thing we need is another player who's inability to rush the passer causes another year of defensive aggrevation. Tamba Hali put all kinds of pressure, regardless of the sacks. Getting back on topic with the Safety position, Harper looked like a beast and Cedric Griffin has a hell of a play. Safety will be addressed one way or another and I can't say as I will be disappointed with the name called regardless of who it is.

WHODEY !!!

Getting back on topic with the Safety position, Harper looked like a beast and Cedric Griffin has a hell of a play. Safety will be addressed one way or another and I can't say as I will be disappointed with the name called regardless of who it is.

WHODEY !!!

Either Harper or Griffin would be good safety picks. More so Griffin IMO. Despite that pick he had, I don't see that Griffin will be able to cut it at CB at the next level because of speed, except in the red zone. But the coverage skills he has developed would serve him well at safety. That and the wallop he brings with the hit.

Harper reminds me of Mark Roman, a decent coverage safety who will hit with what he's got but is a step slow in coverage and not able to man up very well if forced to in situations.

I'd say Griffin and Harper both will be there in round 2 for the Bengals to consider and maybe even round 3 for Harper. I'd rather see them go that route than burn a 1st rounder on a safety given that pick can yield much greater benefit at a more key position.

Have I mentioned that my main man Reggie

(drift your eyes slightly to the left, and gaze upon his visage)

is coming back, and be the starting SS in 2006?

:-)

I didn't?

Oh, and of course, 30 tackles and 6 forced fumbles on spunt punt and kick coverage plays, to boot.

:-)

(edited for spelling. he could cover spunts too, I am sure, better than any other spunt cover guy)