Next step with the 17th pick ??

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I think that it is too early to being talking about the draft, as the next step.

Not too early to talk about the draft mind you, we have been doing that for months already.

But ...

I would like to see what other moves the team is going make, if any, in FA.

I would like to have a better idea of who is going to be healthy and who isn't.

We still have a ways to go before draft day.

But if the draft was today ...

I believe that Thomas Davis would be our pick.

My guess for the 1st three Rounds:

1) Thomas Davis SS

2) Chris Spencer C

3) Robert McCune ILB

My guess for the 1st three Rounds:

1) Thomas Davis SS

2) Chris Spencer C

3) Robert McCune ILB

That looks real good to me.

I believe that Bengals would have to use 2nd round pick instead of 3rd to get Spencer.

I like McCune for his strength and speed. The only downside to him his age (25 or 26) and IIRC a medial knee ligament that pops in and out and requires him to come off the field when it pops. He might be a surgery waiting to happen but if he can get on the field, he'd be a force in the middle.

Crowder=Next Ray Lewis

No Way Marvin will pass.  He needs to make another Ray Lewis

Pimp the guy all you want, that is fine.

But that doesn't mean that everybody is going to agree with you.

He is the next Ray Ray ?

Well he just ran his 40 in like the 4.7s at his pro-day ...

He wouldn't be a bad pick and he is on the teams radar but he is not head and shoulders ahead of everybody else.

And I am not sure that LB is that high on the list of team Needs.

BTW, nobody on here really speaks for ML ...

But since we are playing that, there was another LB at the Senior Bowl that Marvin was All Excited About .

Robert McCune

And he will most likely still be on the board in the 3rd Round.

I like Crowder, but he definitely falls into the "project" category (lack of experience) and I'd prefer to spend the first on someone who could make an impact right away. I'd also be very nervous about the guy's mediacal history; he's already had enough knee surgery (5 operations) to last a career.

It's possible those issues cause him to slip into the 2nd or even 3rd rounds, in which case I'd be all for him.

I'll repeat that I'd rather have a rookie FA who is healthy and making nfl minimum on my roster than a high draft pick eating into my salary cap and out with an injury......

If I am running the show, I have little or no interest in someone who has had 5 knee surgeries. Period. No matter how good a player they are when healthy, because then not only do I have to pay an inactive player, I also have to pay their replacement.

I don't doubt Crowder is an excellent player when healthy....but in the salary cap era, an unhealthy player is an enormous drain on his team.

That said, ANY player can get injured...it's a rough sport. But when a player has shown a tendency towards getting injured often....just say no to players lacking durability....

Well he just ran his 40 in like the 4.7s at his pro-day ...

He wouldn't be a bad pick and he is on the teams radar but he is not head and shoulders ahead of everybody else.

And I am not sure that LB is that high on the list of team Needs.

Crowder ran his 40 in the 4.6, one of the fastest LB's in College FB

What makes you think that a player who is never hurt in college is going to stay like that in the pros???(ki-jana carter, perry, eddie george)Your saying whoever we draft will never ever be hurt ever.

What if we draft Thomas Davis and he blows out his knee? You never know.

Speaking of Davis, you say you don't want unexpeirenced players in the first round, well I would have to put Davis in that category. Just because they come out early doesn't mean they don't hav expiernece. Remeber guys, the PRO's is 20x different than COllege. Expiernece doesn't mean a whole lot.

On a second note,

THE COMBINE is dumb.

Don't judge players by their 40 times. The only thing that matters is if they can do their position right. Tackle, catch, cover...and all that. Yes speed will get you props, but doesn't mean your going to be a stud in the pros. Look at Terrell Suggs, people judged him because of his 40 times and his stock dropped and now look, he is a stud in the NFL.

Crowder ran his 40 in the 4.6, one of the fastest LB's in College FB
His official times are much slower.

In the post following this one, you decried the value of 40 times, citing Suggs as an example of why they were/are unimportant. Why then are you attempting to defend his speed here then if it has no importance? Get a grip, man.

Frankly, speed is important top a nfl player regardless of position, and only an ignoramus would say otherwise.

What makes you think that a player who is never hurt in college is going to stay like that in the pros???(ki-jana carter, perry, eddie george)Your saying whoever we draft will never ever be hurt ever. 
Nope, said no such thing. Re-read what I have said as many times as you like, til you understand. I won't try to reexplain it here, as I feel that everyone but you has understood what I wrote.

What if we draft Thomas Davis and he blows out his knee? You never know.
You never know with ANY player, but you can say that if player A has been consistently injured throughout college and player B has never been injured, it is more likely that player A will be injured again.

Incidentally, Crowder is player A, in case you had't worked that out.

Speaking of Davis, you say you don't want unexpeirenced players in the first round, well I would have to put Davis in that category.  Just because they come out early doesn't mean they don't hav expiernece.  Remeber guys, the PRO's is 20x different than COllege.  Expiernece doesn't mean a whole lot.
No, you're wrong again.

The experience gained in college is meaningful to the pro game, and the more of it you have, the better off you are in the NFL, in general.

You were prob. one of those guys telling everyone to draft Reniard Wilson and Akili Smith. Cuz they were healthy and weren't off the field problems. And they had good 40 times. What happened to them? YOU CANT JUDGE A PLAYER ON HIS COMBINE GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEAD> YOU HAVE TO JUDGE WHAT HE DID ON THE FIELD. If you want speed my friend then draft Roscoe Parrish cuz he is the fastest player i can think of in this draft, well maybe darren sproles, but draft them. I forget who it was but they mentioned something about a tackle with Bad Knees who played for the Bengals, his name was Anthony Munoz. His knees were prob. worse than Crowders when he was about to be drafted. Look what he did.

I realize I am going way off topic here, but can anyone let me know if there is a feature on this board that will allow me to block (not view, never see) posts from a certain individual?

I see that you can block PMs, but what I want to do is block posts, so that when I am reading through a forum, posts from a certain individual are not displayed to me.

Mind you, most of the discussion on these forums has been great, but 1 or 2 individuals contribute posts that are -- at their best -- of no value. I'd just prefer not to even see those, myself.

I'll delete this post or edit it out to nothing once I have gotten an answer.

I realize I am going way off topic here, but can anyone let me know if there is a feature on this board that will allow me to block (not view, never see) posts from a certain individual?

I see that you can block PMs, but what I want to do is block posts, so that when I am reading through a forum, posts from a certain individual are not displayed to me.

Mind you, most of the discussion on these forums has been great, but 1 or 2 individuals contribute posts that are -- at their best -- of no value.  I'd just prefer not to even see those, myself.

I'll delete this post or edit it out to nothing once I have gotten an answer.

I would also be interested in knowing if this is possible to do.

Just to quickly answer your question if there is an "ignore" type feature to to omit a certain members posts in this forum, I really don't believe there is. I'm not an expert, but I will check with one and will let you know.

There is no ignore feature for this version of Invision, unfortunately.

The good news, though, is that B24 plans to upgrade the site sometime in the future, and the ignore feature is included in the updated version. I agree with you that some posts just aren't worth the time...