Rooks Rising From Depths

HoosierCat

Found this note browsing the team page at sportsline.com...

Two rookies were promoted to starters on the team's depth chart this week. Coaches placed Landon Johnson ahead of fellow rookie Caleb Miller at middle linebacker, and Madieu Williams is now listed ahead of Kim Herring as the starting free safety.

At MLB, of course, they have little choice thanks to injuries, but Johnson has played very well. At safety, it has to be seen as a huge vote of confidence in Madieu that he's moved ahead of Herring, one of Marvin's former players. Congrats to both the young'uns!

Same story also noted that O'Neal didn't practice :( but Perry did :) . Both are still listed as questionable.

Yeah I really like M. Williams. He is better than Sean Taylor, and think he was a steal for us in the second round. All they need now is to get a yound SS for the future and the secondary should be set if D. Weathersby comes back. I am keeping my fingers crossed for that one. M. Williams should win the defensive rookie of the year award.

If he keeps playing like he has been, no one should even going to sniff the award besides him. Congrats to Madeiu and Landon! Keep up the good work! ;)

:player:

If he keeps playing like he has been, no one should even going to sniff the award besides him. Congrats to Madeiu and Landon! Keep up the good work! ;)

:player:

There are some other guys pushing for it too who have better name recognition, guys like Karlos Dansby, Dunta Robinson, Igor Olshansky, Keneche Udeze, Tommy Harris, etc. Unfortunately I have a feeling someone who is less deserving but was a 1st round pick will get it.

Yeah I don't get it with the #'s Madieu is putting up. Obviously he wasn't hyped coming out of college at all - which is what is so great about this year's draft with guys like Geathers, Landon and Madieu all playing well - this hasn't happened here in 15 years - the Bengals actually drafting players that weren't at the top of everyone's lists and doing well out of the gate. I was impresed with LJ the first preseason game he played, as he was actually making plays at the LOS unlike anyone else including Simmons and Hardy. And for someone his size, he's got serious wheels.

I hope to God this wakes Mike Brown up as to how important thorough scouting is, and how much character plays a part in someone's success.

Caleb is the only real disappointment along with Askew thus far - Frodo is simply not very tough and completely under-sized even by Urlacher/Lewis/Z Thomas/Spikes standards. He's too damn skinny.

Frodo has the speed and the instincts to be a good player, but he'll really have to put on some muscle and go to the Romonowski school of legal juice and nastiness if he ever wants to reach his potential. Right now he is just not an NFL caliber player and should hardly see the field the way he gets hurt constantly and is pushed around. It's too bad Frank Chamberlin got ganked as he was looking pretty good in the preason (although I don't think he's a rookie).