Give Perry a Shot/Signing Rudi...

walzav29

I love Rudi, but I don't know if he's explosive enough and we know he's not that good a receiver. We have to find out what Chris Perry can do for the fact that Rudi is a free agent (bet Dallas makes a run) and that means that Perry will have to be the man. I still say the season is not over if we can win Sunday, but if we lose we have to put Perry in. That 'Skins game is gonna be a dogfight. If we win, that will be the spark to beat Pitt and the Clowns. 6-5

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see Perry get a couple of carries as well, but with the abdominal strain, he's not likely to see the field for a couple of weeks.

At the same time though, his inability to learn the playbook, know his reads and blocking assignments, make him more of a liability than a booster injection for our offense.

- If and when he's ready to play, let's utilize his quickness, and put him on tosses' and sweeps, not the same inside traps and powers' Rudi gets!

* Tidbit of hope * - Started Perry over Rudi against the Giants ( Madden )

- 28 carries

-204 yards

- 4 touchdowns including runs of 36 (td) and 71 ( td ) .! :D

Dave Lapham was saying that Perry has a severe abdominal strain that is centrally located. So no matter which way he moves, it hurts and limits him.

I would like to see what this guy can do sometime this year. Hopefully all of the missed time with him is a fluke thing and not a recurring problem.

Dave Lapham was saying that Perry has a severe abdominal strain that is centrally located. So no matter which way he moves, it hurts and limits him.

That's weird. I've had the same symptom ever since they drafted him #1 instead of addressing a slightly more pressing need with the defensive line. Although the more he plays and is productive, the less pain I'll feel from it! :P

I'll tell you what though. I have 0 faith in Big Ten running backs. They suck. The only reason I have 1% faith in Perry is that Lewis coached him in the senior bowl, and hopefully seen something he liked.

Uhm, no, actually he didn't. (or at least he didn't play, one of the two)

That's what I've been telling yall all along.

Perry SKIPPED the Senior Bowl on the advice of his agent.

Right then and there I thought something was suspect, and whaddya know?

the point about him not knowing the playbook etc is bullcrap. stop using it as an excuse. the reason he isnt playing is cuz of the injury. That s**t hurts and can be very serious. I hope to see him on the field soon cuz rudi cant break a run to save his life.

Perry can't hold Rudi's jock. I don't know what you guys have seen Perry do but I sure the hell have not seen it.

My sentiments exactly - Rudi broke runs last year time and again - he's perfectly capable of it. Regardless he's getting the tough yards, and with 5 more yards Sunday would've had 100+ yard rushing games in 3 out of his last 4, and 4 out of his last 5 if you consider receiving yards as well.

Rudi's not the problem with the running game, the 0-line is. Two gimpy tackles, a gimped guard coming back from TJ surgery, and a 35+ yr old gimped center fighting injuries along with a cast-off from Philly.

Do you guys watch the games? Next time you do, tell me there aren't 8-9 guys up on the LOS playing the run almost every single down and forcing a 1st year QB to beat them.

Rudi's a great back to have - I really like him - he's durable, a workhorse, capable of taking over a game, and pounded the Cowgirls into submission last Sunday in the final quarter.

Get off Rudi's jock people, he's a top 10, if not top 5, caliber NFL RB and will be eventually.

Perry will eventually get his shot, but for right now, this is Rudi's position. Even though he is having a sub par season, Perry still wouldn't be able to hold a light to him.

Perry will probably be the starter next season since Rudi is a free agent and most likely will not return. You all never know, Perry might just surprise all...

Did he miss any significant time in college due to injuries?

Actually, he was a workhorse in college. I saw alot of him and in one game, I think against Michigan State, he had 50 carries for 200+.

dude theres a reason why the bengals didnt resign him already. I gaurantee in the offseason when someone else signs him marvin and co will be laughing. they see him for what he is. A capable back but not a starter. Last year he had no pressure to perform and he could go out and do it. This year he is the starter. All the pressure on his shoulders and he cant break a run to save his life. He just cant do it. Dave Shula said it best, "las year he broke runs." Hes broken what, 2 20 yd runs? And what, mb 4-5 10 yarders? Hes not a starter in this league, Perry will be our starter next year, u can almost take that as a gaurantee.

Terry you are absolutely wrong. Lewis at least coached him at one of them gay senior bowl or North vs South games. Whichever one he coached. Regardless, Rudi hasn't broken s**t, as for people putting 8-9 guys in the box. Look at Jamal. Teams use damn near 11 guys and still can't slow him down. Granted he's a top 5 back, but Rudi isn't close to that.

Look at Jamal. Teams use damn near 11 guys and still can't slow him down.

Judging from Jamal's stats from Baltimores first game of this season, Cleveland Browns fans may not agree with this statement! I though they did a whole lot more than slow him down in that game. They SHUT him down!

Now Rudi has proven himself to be a capable RB in this league. Perry hasn't proven to be anything close to being worth wasting a #1 draft pick on...YET! Plus him holding out before training camp doesn't sit well with me either. You hold out only when you've proven something. Agents today try to get them to hold out regardless. Low life, money grubbing S.O.B.'s!

Perry can't hold Rudi's jock. I don't know what you guys have seen Perry do but I sure the hell have not seen it.

My sentiments exactly - Rudi broke runs last year time and again - he's perfectly capable of it. Regardless he's getting the tough yards, and with 5 more yards Sunday would've had 100+ yard rushing games in 3 out of his last 4, and 4 out of his last 5 if you consider receiving yards as well.

Rudi's not the problem with the running game, the 0-line is. Two gimpy tackles, a gimped guard coming back from TJ surgery, and a 35+ yr old gimped center fighting injuries along with a cast-off from Philly.

Do you guys watch the games? Next time you do, tell me there aren't 8-9 guys up on the LOS playing the run almost every single down and forcing a 1st year QB to beat them.

Rudi's a great back to have - I really like him - he's durable, a workhorse, capable of taking over a game, and pounded the Cowgirls into submission last Sunday in the final quarter.

Get off Rudi's jock people, he's a top 10, if not top 5, caliber NFL RB and will be eventually.

Yeah, I'll chime in and agree here too. Rudi is well on his way to 1400 yards for the season, if he keeps up the pace.

YOU GUYS ARE SNIFFING HEAVY COMPOUNDS OF s**tOLA.

:lol::lol::lol:

Rudi Johnson is a top 10 or top 5 back in the league :lol:

Rudi Johnson sucks. He is the reason we always start off slow, because he can't run for s**t in the first half. I'd be surprised that if the first half in all of our games, he averages more than 2 yards per carry. His inneffectiveness is causing us to punt the ball away, and our sucky defense is being forced to be on the field a lot more than they should. This causes us to be behind, and it causes Carson Palmer to throw the ball 40+ times a game trying to catch up.

Isn't it funny how this all goes back to our ineffective running back? Sure, you can blame it on our O-line, but any elite running back will make things happen by himself. Ricky Williams sure did a hell of a job last year.

We need to see what Perry can do, and if he doesn't work out then we need to bring in Shaun Alexander.

dude theres a reason why the bengals didnt resign him already. I gaurantee in the offseason when someone else signs him marvin and co will be laughing. they see him for what he is. A capable back but not a starter. Last year he had no pressure to perform and he could go out and do it. This year he is the starter. All the pressure on his shoulders and he cant break a run to save his life. He just cant do it. Dave Shula said it best, "las year he broke runs." Hes broken what, 2 20 yd runs? And what, mb 4-5 10 yarders? Hes not a starter in this league, Perry will be our starter next year, u can almost take that as a gaurantee.

I can't say if you analysis of why Rudi can't break big runs this year is right, but I agree competely that Marvin & Co. appear to have, at best, modest interest in resigning Rudi, and that Perry is looking very much like the starter next year, despite his lack of playing time this season. Ludwig had a note in the DDN yesterday. He asked Rudi how contract talks with the Bengals were going and Rudi just laughed and said, "slow motion, baby." Right now, I think the chances of Rudi being in stripes next year are about 0%.

We need to see what Perry can do, and if he doesn't work out then we need to bring in Shaun Alexander.

IMHO, if Cincinnati has the chance to bring in the former Boone County Kentucky high school star Shaun Alexander, the Bengals should absolutely do so, regardless of any RB currently on the roster!

Rudi isn't going anywhere. I'd be shocked to see the Bengals let him leave. I think they are gonna slap the franchise tag on him but another side of me wants them to go after the local guy (Florence, Ky) in Shaun Alexander. It would be nice to see Alexander playing for the Orange and Black but I know its a dream that is never gonna happen.

IMHO, if Cincinnati has the chance to bring in the former Boone County Kentucky high school star Shaun Alexander, the Bengals should absolutely do so, regardless of any RB currently on the roster!

Darn SkippY!

Get Alexander and send Rudi packing and get this guy and sign Watson to a contract for a few years.

Then you have Alexander, Watson, and Perry in the backfield. Alexander catches passes well and is a grizzled, powerhouse veteran, Perry can learn a lot from him. Watson still makes a good utility 3rd down back.

From the Enquirer:

"But make no mistake, Schaffer said, Johnson loves playing for the Bengals.

"He's enjoying it," Schaffer said. "The fans, you can't buy people chanting, 'Rudi, Rudi, Rudi.'

"It could be done in an hour if the intent were there."

I think the Bengals are still holding their decision until they get a long look ar Perry. If Perry does not get healthy enough to get looked at (like if he twists an ankle or tweaks his hammy), it would not surprise me to see Rudi get signed quick.

I also think Rudi has had several nice games and has showed progress but he is not a back like Alexander or Edgerrin. He is a notch below. He does not catch as well, he does not cut as well and he run off right guard/tackle predictably.

He does block well, is hard to tackle, and has shown good durability for a big back.

If they can get him to build a bit more versatility he may stay. If he drops passes and shows he can onyl run right, then aiming for egde or alexander would be a dream.

All of this is contingent on Perry getting healthy.