Chrisman and Adomitis

gregcook68

Clark is the man, but his time is up. Hate to see it end with an injury but that’s how it goes sometimes.

Huber might hang around, or might not. The Bengals have not been particularly aggressive with roster spots this season. Not sure where they stand at the moment. They did just clear Prince to practice off IR so if they don’t have any spots and want to activists him, they’ll need to open a spot.

4 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Clark is the man, but his time is up. Hate to see it end with an injury but that’s how it goes sometimes.

Huber might hang around, or might not. The Bengals have not been particularly aggressive with roster spots this season. Not sure where they stand at the moment. They did just clear Prince to practice off IR so if they don’t have any spots and want to activists him, they’ll need to open a spot.

According to the rules they can leave Clark on IR even once he's ready to come back.

Huber has done poorly, but they won't put him on the practice squad.  They aren't carrying 2 punters, so the only other choice is to put Chrisman back on the squad.  If one of the other 31 punters go down he's gone.

Harris is 38, Huber is 37.  I just hate to see them lost a gifted guy like Chrisman.

There is an additional problem that a PS player can only be elevated 3 times per season.....so unless the sign Chrisman to the main squad we can only use him in 2 more games

so I suspect they'll have to release the much-loved Huber, and probably sooner would be better than later because any team can pluck Chrisman from the PS at any time

2 hours ago, TJJackson said:

There is an additional problem that a PS player can only be elevated 3 times per season.....so unless the sign Chrisman to the main squad we can only use him in 2 more games

so I suspect they'll have to release the much-loved Huber, and probably sooner would be better than later because any team can pluck Chrisman from the PS at any time

I agree and said pretty much the same thing except I didn't know about the 3 times per season.

Not sure if they would do that to Huber even though it's the best thing for the team.

I know Simmons holds some weight so I'm hoping he's on board releasing Huber rather than take a chance on losing Chrisman.

11 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Well, they signed Irwin to the 53 and waived Prince today, but no other moves.

Huber is not eligible for the PS.

They can carry 2 punters if they want. They can carry 10 punters if they want.

Harris and Huber will both be gone after this year if not sooner.

Agree, they will get paid for their current contract, but will be released after the season.

Harris probably stays on IR.  I can't see them carrying two punters but if MB steps in with the final word, he might just waste a spot and do so.

Not that anybody cares, but it looks like the strategy will be to send Chrisman  back to the practice squad, to stay, and hope nobody snatches him before the season is up.

Even though he's had national exposure with a 52.6 yard average, with his longest being 65 yards and 4 of 8 punts inside the 20, and flawless holding.

The Cardinals punter is 40 with a 46.9 yard average this year.

Who cares?  Punters are a dime a dozen! 

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

As TJ noted above they are limited in the amount of times they get to play this elevation trick, and the KC game would be the last one for Chrisman. If Huber isn’t issued his gold watch this week, he gets it next week.

That would be the right thing to do HC, but I just don't believe MB will let it happen.

I see him staying down the rest of the season and somebody (Cardinals) snatching him and giving a watch to their 40 year old punter . . OR . . they bring him up for KC and waste a spot on the roster with 2 punters.

Hope I'm wrong and you're right.

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

I'd rather them waste a spot with two punters than to send him back to the practice squad personally.
I like Chrisman and Huber's time has come (with all due respect).
It would be nice not to have "Punter" on the list of things to deal with in 2023.
There are far greater things on that list.

What about, like HC and I alluded to, keeping Chrisman on the roster and releasing Huber now?

They won’t. The slow-walking is annoying but I get why they might do things this way. You just stabilized your kicking position last year  with McPherson, and clearly they felt that veteran team of Harris at LS and Huber holding was important enough to Money Mac’s success that they brought both of them back on one-year deals. Meanwhile you groom their replacements on the taxi squad. A solid strategy…that detonated on opening day when Harris got hurt and the team subsequently missed a FG and XP en route to a 3-point OT loss.

So now in the space of 18 games you’ve got a new kicker and a new long snapper. Well, at least Huber’s a rock, right? Well, actually…

So they’re completely cycling all three core teams positions in a season and a half, and two of those in like 9 games. Under those circumstance I might be tempted to hang onto Kevin as long as I could, too.

(And hey, a shout-out to Darrin Simmons. It’s a credit to him that things have gone as smoothly as they have.)

Also, while it sometimes frustrates in terms of not understanding the roster management, this is another example of treating a valued veteran with real respect.   That stuff matters to the guys in the locker-room and also when wooing free agents etc. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, membengal said:

Also, while it sometimes frustrates in terms of not understanding the roster management, this is another example of treating a valued veteran with real respect.   That stuff matters to the guys in the locker-room and also when wooing free agents etc. 

100%. The old Bengals would have had Jim Lippencott hustling him out a side door in the dead of night three weeks ago.

9 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Players aren’t claimed off practices squads. Another team would have to sign him to their 53-man roster. And he doesn’t have to sign. I’m sure the Bengals have told him if any team calls they have a contract of their own for him.

I agree with TJ.  Money talks. Say for example, the Cardinals want to release their 40 year old punter, and have now SEEN Chrisman on  the big stage, they could just up the Bengals offer and sign him.

I think any kind of loyalty is probably out the window outside the Bengals franchise.

I don't agree or like it, but it's a big time revenue business now.  

As arrogant and condescending as he is, Brady is the only one I know of who hasn't been about being the highest paid QB, and comparing contracts, because he wants surrounded by good players.

Players on a practice squad can be signed to another team's roster at any time

Chrisman should have been signed last week to protect him

The fact that he isnt signed still is a problem, as I see it

I hope youre right that Chrisman has an unstated (and possible illegal?) understanding with the Bengals, but If I am a guy on the practice squad and the Bengals need me on game day for the remainder of this season, I have to wonder why they are continuing to pay me table scraps (in a relative sense) this week when I should be making at least league min

I love Huber to death and back, but this is a business of winning games and he is done; and even on Punter money he is set for many many lifetimes

Ive corrected my statement.....yes, the original wasnt stated quite right

That said, he is still on the PS and he can still be signed by another team; and we cannot afford for that to happen

also, the protection thing isnt really protection at all.  Its like a condom with a hole torn on top.  Essentially, it only protects players for 5.5 days a week.  On those remaining 1.5 days, the player can be signed by anyone.  Any NFL team would simply look at that and have sex, err make deals, during that window

Well, you are guessing that he is protected.  we dont actually know that

so I wont sleep well til he is elevated for the third time (which should be this weekend), which according to what I have read means he has to be signed to the 53.

I have to wonder who they let go, since they seem reluctant to part with Huber.  I mean, ok, I get it, Huber has been a great Bengal with no doubt whatsoever, but its time.  Everyone goes at some point.  Even New Guy will go someday.  Sorry Mem.   Anyway, if they keep Huber, my best guess is one of the two every-week-healthy scratch OLs (Carman and D'Ante) or Bachie.  I'd prefer, in order, Huber then Carman then Smith then Bachie as a distant 4th as I see him as a contributor

one other thing - it may seem ridiculous but since someone said they cant sign Huber to the PS - actually, with the new PS rules, they can.  Maybe he does that to remain a part of a team that he feels can win the AFC again, for a second chance at a ring.