One More To Go

gregcook68

Dan Hoard was on a talking head radio show and because it was Dan, I decided to take a listen.  This was before the first playoff game.  He said how, when he first got to Cincinnati as an announcer in 2011, EVERY year starting at OTAs the constant narrative was, yes even by the Cincinnati media, "Is this the year the Bengals finally win a playoff game?"  He talked about how that continued to hang over their heads year after year, and every year another number was added!

Well, they've gotten over THAT hurdle and also the hurdle of winning a road playoff game and an AFC Championship, putting them in another Superbowl!

There's just one hurdle left to accomplish and that is to WIN a Superbowl.

Hoard was glad to overcome the playoff win AND the road playoff win to put those narratives to bed so they won't be hovering over Burrow and this new regiment!

Every time they've been considered underdogs in this season and playoffs they've won.

They've only been blown out twice, by Cleveland and the Chargers, both games at home, and both times they were given the 'edge' because it was a home game.

After some research on SB predictions this year, I was surprised to see several predictions that the Rams will 'blow the Bengals out'!

Talking head reasons for predicting a blowout;

1.  Rams DL vs Benglas OL

2.  Stafford and McVay more experience.

3.  Beckham Jr and Kupp will torch Bengals secondary.

4.  Ramsey and Rams secondary will shut down Chase, Higgins, and Boyd.

I did research on PF and PA for both teams, one for the season, one for the playoffs.

SEASON

Rams

PF - 460

PA - 372

Bengals

PF - 485

PA - 376

PLAYOFFS

Rams

PF - 81

PA - 55

Bengals

PF - 72

PA - 59

Not a great disparity of point difference.

Consensus seems to be that they only need to outsmart the X-perts one more time and put all these hurdles to bed and be considered serious contenders and world champions.

A loss will:

1.  Change the narrative from "Will the Bengals ever win another playoff game?" to "Will the Bengals ever win a superbowl?"  Not so much concern about mainstream media but more on the local Cincinnati media, that's noise harder to shut out than the mainstream media noise.

2.  The narrative could also very well be "They didn't deserve to be there and would have never won the division or MADE the playoffs if the Ravens had not been decimated for 3/4ths of the season, yadda, yadda."

Get some well deserved and well earned R-E-S-P-E-C-T, and as Al Davis used to say, "JUST WIN BABY!!"

After a Bengals win 

38 minutes ago, Wraith said:

It will be interesting to hear the narratives on Monday after they win, will it be McVay chokes the big game or Stafford isn't that dude, or Rams mistakes give the game away?  Anything to prevent Cincy from getting the credit they deserve.

Wraith, I think with a Bengals win, the local media will back them. Acknowledging their accomplishment of reaching the championship and establishing themselves as legitimate contenders, but I don't think the mainstream media will EVER concede that even WITH a Lombardi at PBS.

I think you are right in the ballpark that the narrative will NEVER be what this franchise did right and are deserving of.

Just like the Chiefs game.  It will be what the Rams did wrong to give the game away!

If Cincy wins and I expect them to do just that…there will be large pockets of rival fans and bitter National media that will certainly deflect credit away and mask it in “all Joe Burrow” hype. 

I already heard one clown on Colin Cowherd proclaim the Bengals were lucky to be in the game. 

For me it’s hard to discredit any team that makes it to the final game but IF you want to say they were “lucky” that looks more like the 2005 Steelers.  Fluke injuries and plays.   This Bengal team has taken everyone’s best shot on the road and prevailed. 

22 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I am just looking forward to reading COB's "Mike Brown thought of the day!"

It’s not a thought, just a long string of wracking sobs as he signs check after check to cover the costs of flights, hotel rooms in LA, rental fees for practice facilities, etc, etc. This playoff run is going to eat deep into his annual GM’s bonus. 

3 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

If Cincy wins and I expect them to do just that…there will be large pockets of rival fans and bitter National media that will certainly deflect credit away and mask it in “all Joe Burrow” hype. 

I already heard one clown on Colin Cowherd proclaim the Bengals were lucky to be in the game. 

For me it’s hard to discredit any team that makes it to the final game but IF you want to say they were “lucky” that looks more like the 2005 Steelers.  Fluke injuries and plays.   This Bengal team has taken everyone’s best shot on the road and prevailed. 

From what I 'heard', Eric Dickerson called them 'Bungles'.

How many rings does he have?

Sounds butt hurt if you ask me 

47 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

It’s not a thought, just a long string of wracking sobs as he signs check after check to cover the costs of flights, hotel rooms in LA, rental fees for practice facilities, etc, etc. This playoff run is going to eat deep into his annual GM’s bonus. 

Here's another thought.  Will he reach deep into his check book and KEEP these guys and continue to improve the OL?

They already passed up on an extension for Bates.

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

If Burrow and the rest got us to the Super Bowl with THIS o-line, imagine what could happen if they weren’t setting records for most sacks given up game after game.

Exactly, gotta resign Uzomah, Bates and one of the DTs (I like Hill better than Ogunjobi) and then pour all your capital into oline multiple contracts for good players.

• Like 1