Bengals @ Eagles Game Thread

HoosierCat

I heard repeatedly before the season that 2020 was all about making sure Burrow was really "THE GUY".

Well, three games in and there is no question. He's good beyond all reasonable expectations. With even a smidgen of protection yesterday he carved up the field with 13 straight completions over two drives with balls into impossible windows at times. He's so ***damn good. My god he's good.

So that's the good news.

The bad news is...almost everything else. From the off-season commitment to running it back at o-line, to the weird scattershot play-calling and game-planning of ZT, to the hands around their own throat approach to playing defense in any spot that matters.

Those parts are all alarming to me because that is front office/coaching **** ups and i know this team is SLOW to correct problems there. Dave Shula got, like, infinity to fail. I have no confidence in ZT at this point because of his trust in coaches like Turner (who has failed everywhere) and the decisions that has resulted in at line.

But, Burrow. Holy god. To go 31 of 44 yesterday for 321 yards and throw 2 TDs to go with 0 INTs when he is being sacked 8 times and hit another 9 times - and when most of that happened AFTER the near career-ender shot he took that drew the flag, I mean, just...if that is Dalton each of the three games so far are blowout losses. Dalton couldn't remotely handle that kind of pressure. Which, frankly, isn't a shot at Dalton, most QBs can't. Only the really great ones can make a go of it under such circumstances. It's clear now, that's the trajectory for Burrow. If he doesn't die first.

I have no sense on ZT and his offense.   The o-line is so horrible and unless I have proof he's the one pushing for this approach for the offensive line.   I have no idea.   Their crap performance is derails everything.  The approach to the o-line has been taking underperforming late round or undrafted players and make them starters OR first off the bench depth.   Sure,  I guess that could work but I doubt it.   

in reality they need to spend 3 to 4 top 150 draft  picks on the offensive line and hope/pray they get above league average hit rate on players.

Now there are some blocking scheme questions pointed out on the broadcast.   Having Sample try to block a DE from a 2 point stance.  Dumb.  That's never gong to work.    Again, with Sample on the goal line.   For some reason he releases to 2nd level instead of helping Williams seal the DE.    Not sure why that's happening from the 1 yard line. 

Defensively.    There needs to be changes.   They got mid round draft picks and the cap dollars INSTEAD of the O-line.    OK the most critical drive against the Browns they run down your throats.    Then yesterday Burrow gets a 4 point lead and the next time he touches the ball he's down 6.   Then Burrow pads a 4th qtr lead, BUT everyone knew they needed a TD or the game would be tied because the defense can't get critical stops.

Plus Wentz is a disaster and missed a TD to a RB.  The opposing offense is getting match ups they want.  

That ALL said they could easily be 0-3 or 3-0 with some just dumb luck changing.    Ref keep a flag in their pocket Bengals are probably 2-1 and everyone is skipping and dancing. 

The defense has shown it can contain bad offenses (like the Chargers and Eagles) so that’s something. And it’s doing so without it’s big FA acquisition or it’s best dlineman on the field. And and, there’s a lot of youth (i.e. inexperience) on the field. So while the d definitely is not good right now, you can see potential for growth.

However, the offense is a mess. The only reason they’re scoring any points at all is Burrow. Pass or run, the oline is useless. I saw someone say that they would call the line trash except that five trash cans lined up would do a better job of protecting Burrow. That’s about right. The receiving corps is nothing special. AJ is just human now. Ross has the speed, but when he isn’t dropping balls, Burrow is missing the throw. Boyd, Tate, Higgins are all fine but are all possession types. Mixon gets some sympathy from me because of the line but he still looks like nothing special most plays, and we know he can be special. But the game plan rarely seems interested in getting him involved other than “run up the gut.” Gio is still Gio thank gawd. Losing Uzomah hurt bad and we don’t have another TE worth mentioning.

At this point I don’t know that there’s much to do. Yeah, maybe there’s a trade that could help but we all know that isn’t happening. They aren’t firing Zac and probably not any of his staff either (at least not yet). Defense can at least hope for Geno’s return. O is just what it is. Like mem says hopefully Joe lives through the season.

• Sad 1