All Decade Team

AMPHAR

I love to see it. I'd still be surprised if Geno gets in though. He's basically the Ken Anderson of modern DTs -- he was legitimately the best in the league for a few years, has always been around top 5 at his position, has compiled big career numbers, and still too many people don't even know who he is.

It's not his fault.

16 hours ago, Stripes said:

I love to see it. I'd still be surprised if Geno gets in though. He's basically the Ken Anderson of modern DTs -- he was legitimately the best in the league for a few years, has always been around top 5 at his position, has compiled big career numbers, and still too many people don't even know who he is.

It's not his fault.

Eh, I dunno. Seems like Geno has gotten pretty good exposure outside Cincy to me. Dunlap OTOH is criminally underrated IMO.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Eh, I dunno. Seems like Geno has gotten pretty good exposure outside Cincy to me. Dunlap OTOH is criminally underrated IMO.

Yeah,  during the shutdown I've been watching the 2019 season out of boredom.    During the season I pretty much skipped a lot of watching.   

2 guys I think are vastly underrated is Dunlap and William Jackson.    Dunlap just makes plays and effects so many throws with his ability to deflect passes.

Jackson.   Teams just don't throw around him at all.    I've never searched stats to prove this but it seems his area is hardly ever targeted.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I can't look at the moment, but I seem to recall conversation about how poorly the Bengals played defensively in all those playoff game losses that were placed on Dalton's shoulders exclusively.

My mind may be playing tricks on me.  The lack of sleep is killing me.

The team as whole in just about every playoff game under performed across the board vs. regular season.

Really in all the Marvin era playoff games.   The stand performances I can remember are Cedric Benson.    Burfict (of course he's more remembered for the hit on AB)

Run defense was usually bad.   Andrew Luck tore us up with a guy we cut in Boom Herron one year.   That game still hurts because the Colts line sucked and that defense couldn't do anything to stop them.

15 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

That's more my point than anything.  Not just Geno, but anyone.

There have been plenty of opportunities for them to stake their claim and really stand out.
On the biggest stage, when the lights were brightest, they fell short.

True.   However the HOF voters have not punished completely other franchises for playoff failures.     Essentially the Marvin era Bengals are on par with the Houston Oilers or the Mora Saints.    There's  a few Oilers in there from teams that always choked in the playoffs.

Sure maybe more of those players might have made IF they would have advanced to a Superbowl or something.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2020 at 9:24 AM, ArmyBengal said:

I can't look at the moment, but I seem to recall conversation about how poorly the Bengals played defensively in all those playoff game losses that were placed on Dalton's shoulders exclusively.

My mind may be playing tricks on me.  The lack of sleep is killing me.

I remember bad coaching and lots of drops by a TE that I don't care to mention