Jeremy Chinn in the second

If Queen, Murray and Baun are all gone when we get to #33.  I am warming up to trading down 5-7 spots and taking Jeremy Chinn .  If he had played in an SEC school we would be talking about Chinn being at top ten player.  Everyone is saying Simmons had the best LB combine ever, but Chinn might have had a better one.  

Simmons ran a 4.39 at 6'4" 238 lbs with a 39" vert and 132" Broad Jump

Chinn ran a 4.45 at 6'3" at 221 lbs with a 41" vert and a 138" Broad Jump.

Chinn could play the same position the same way as Simmons.

• Like 1

I guess I wouldn't flip out - but there is quite a bit of projection needed to fit him into LB in the simmons mold and they just loaded up on S otherwise. So you would have to be pretty damn certain he could slot in at OLB for me to be okay with this.

He is raw, he still filling out (was a late bloomer, didn't really get his height until his senior year in HS which was why he didn't get D1 offers), I think he could easily carry 10-15 lbs on his frame without losing his athleticism.....it is a projection but he has the raw physical tools and it looks like he has the instincts as well.

He has been flying up draft boards so I do not believe he will be there with the Bengals selection at #65, he is simply trending to be gone by #50 at most.

Not sure about taking a safety at that point unless they were clearly the best player available and other positions of need are gone.

In the instance there are no positional needs available (LB and OT specifically) i'm warming to taking WR or even d-line depth if a solid player is there.

2 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Not sure about taking a safety at that point unless they were clearly the best player available and other positions of need are gone.

In the instance there are no positional needs available (LB and OT specifically) i'm warming to taking WR or even d-line depth if a solid player is there.

Actually, I am projecting him not as a safety but as a do everything combo player.  LB/S/Edge hybrid

Players like Chinn are probably the wave of the immediate future.     He isn't a reach at 33.  

Simple fact is you have stop Lamar Jackson twice to entertain serious contention defensively in the North and then realistically have to deal Mahomes to entertain thoughts of AFC contention. 

The hybrid player S/LB are guys you'll need.   Guys that can play in zone then go run, hunt and get the guy to the ground. 

The "need" factor, given the most recent FA period, is a legit question on whether Chinn would see snaps early on. 

I would entertain OT, WR before but not a horrible pick at all. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Players like Chinn are probably the wave of the immediate future.     He isn't a reach at 33.  

Simple fact is you have stop Lamar Jackson twice to entertain serious contention defensively in the North and then realistically have to deal Mahomes to entertain thoughts of AFC contention. 

The hybrid player S/LB are guys you'll need.   Guys that can play in zone then go run, hunt and get the guy to the ground. 

The "need" factor, given the most recent FA period, is a legit question on whether Chinn would see snaps early on. 

I would entertain OT, WR before but not a horrible pick at all. 

Exactly, if all five Tackles, Queen, Murray, Baun are all gone and I think there is. 50/50 chance they will be.  Chinn might be worth a flier in the mid 40's.  Trade down get extra picks.

Trades down to get more picks won't hurt my feelings if I don't like the players there.
Oddly enough, due to the depth at some positions, I really don't want to see them giving up picks to move up.

Going a couple of spots to get back into the first round and secure an option year, wouldn't hurt me.
As long as they aren't giving up much.