Gio Bernard extended to 2021

Stripes

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-extend-gio-through-21

I'm not sure he's worth $10.3 million over two years, but whatever.  Hopefully the new staff intends to utilize him often in the passing game.  That's a steep price for a backup, and I have little faith in him doing much on the ground behind our line.

12 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Oh, while we’re on the subject of money, Mike Brown just crapped his diaper:

I see a new franchise QB being drafted next year with a top 5 pick. (I still don't see this team winning more than 3-4 games at this point)

At least the Gio deal is only 2 years, he's on the downside of his career and the Bengals' just like to do the easy thing, but he still has value.  I just wonder if he'll be able to stay healthy behind that line, along with Mixon and Dalton.

• Like 1

They're getting ready for the Mixon holdout that is likely to come next season.

I haven't seen how the contract is structured, but if they're able to lock up Mixon long term, I'm betting they'll be able to move on from Gio without too much extra cost.

And, Taylor has said more than once that he saw the negative impact of riding Gurley too much next year.  Hopefully Gio will finally be used appropriately.

• Like 1