2019 Reds

ArmyBengal

Once upon a time, the Reds were decent enough that I made threads for each of their series.  Well, that hasn't happened in a while.
With that, I give you the 2019 Cincinnati Reds thread !!!

Today is opening day and our beloved Redlegs kick off the season with the Pirates in town.
I don't know how the season is going to end, but the Reds appear to be an improved team from last year.
I'm interested to see if the pitching upgrades will be enough and I can't wait to see Puig crushing the ball in GABP !!!

Hoping for a fun season and getting down to the ballpark again soon !!!

1-8?  What is going on with the Reds.  I watched them load up this year like they were really going for it.  Puig and Kemp are not just journeymen holding a place while the talent develops in the minors.  What is happening?  I am a tribe fan but keep one eye on the reds, but haven’t read or heard why they’re struggling.

They're going to rely heavily on offense to compete all year.  They opened the season on a horrendous offensive drought.  They've improved enough to sweep the terrible Marlins though.

4-8 with a home series against St. Louis will be a nice indicator of whether they're crawling out of the dumpster.

• 2 weeks later...

While they got swept by the Dodgers, they took 3 of 4 from the Padres in San Diego.  Also took the first one against the Braves last night.
They still find themselves in the basement, but only 4.5 games back and not really playing bad baseball.
I'm still watching, so that's saying something. 

The hitting has been strange to this point.
I remember when Scooter went down and they said Igelsias would start at SS.
People said you would love his glove, but hate his bat.  Well, he's batting .286, which is more than most can say.

Outside of that, Peraza is just a mess hitting .159 and needs to take a seat on the bench.
Puig and Winker are hitting .183 and .182 respectively.  That sucks.

They really need to get these guys going.  There's just no reason to hit that poorly at this level.

On 4/24/2019 at 10:20 AM, ArmyBengal said:

The hitting has been strange to this point.
I remember when Scooter went down and they said Igelsias would start at SS.
People said you would love his glove, but hate his bat.  Well, he's batting .286, which is more than most can say.

Outside of that, Peraza is just a mess hitting .159 and needs to take a seat on the bench.
Puig and Winker are hitting .183 and .182 respectively.  That sucks.

They really need to get these guys going.  There's just no reason to hit that poorly at this level.

Puig has history and will come back around closer to his normal

Winker needs to stop trying to be a hero and start making solid contact,  Peraza really is shocking after last season

If the team can just start hitting to the historical norms, with this pitching they can make up ground quick. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Indians can’t hit.  It’s a historic level of run production, not in a good way, either.  

Just from last year they list Michael Brantley, Edwin Encarnacion, and Yan Gomes.  That’s a ton of good hitting, replaced by guys who are nowhere close to that level.  The Indians owner has also already dropped obvious hints that he won’t pay our great young shortstop.  Went so far as to say, “enjoy him while you can.”   He’s wrecking the Indians.

I’ll be heading to Cinci at least twice this year to watch the Reds, at this point I’d rather see them in person.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you ever seen a team in the basement that has been fun to watch ??

It amazes me how good both Iglesias and Dietrich have been for the Reds in this first half.
With a win over the Pirates today, I believe they will be out of the cellar by percentage points.
I could be wrong, but I will be hoping to see them take the series today.

• 2 weeks later...

It might only be for a single day, but take a look at the standings today.

The Reds are a half game out of the basement with the Pirates bringing up the bottom.

Team
W
 L
Pct
GB
Home
Away
L10

FGq_lQ42AmQDXXJOZ6ZOEA_48x48.pngBrewers
 39     29 .574 - 22-13 17-16 7-3  

PBmgKhiGoYOGTl1L5FGaiQ_48x48.pngCubs
 38 29 .567 0.5 24-11 14-18 7-3  

RM4q4pq8xBXC1OJths6qcQ_48x48.pngCardinals
 33 33 .500 5.0 20-13 13-20 5-5  

-XhGI3cGCeuXStm06CF_kw_48x48.pngReds
 30 36 .455 8.0 15-15 15-21 4-6  

9QU7ONeilzMGYb2AxTHzqA_48x48.pngPirates
 30 37 .448 8.5 13-18 17-19 2-8  

• 1 month later...

You guys get Drone Slash from my tribe.  We get Puig, a good hitting outfielder from the Padres, and a reliever very early in his career, who so far is well below average, also from the Padres.  

What should we expect from Puig?  From his time with LA, and that’s pretty much all I know, I’m expecting huge arm, inconsistent but powerful bat, speed, and unreliable effort and attention to the game.

My group of tribe fans all call Bauer Drone Slash.  He badly cut his finger on an off day while repairing a drone during the ALCS and couldn’t pitch.  Bauer is a beast.  Dude will go the distance, and when he’s on has freaky good stuff.  And he’s on way more often than not.  He’s a maniacal worker, a student of pitching, helps All the pitchers on the staff.  He’s one of the reasons the Tribe has had such good pitching over these last several years.  

Congratulations, you got a great pitcher and a guy so dedicated to winning it rubs off on others.

I was happy to hear about getting Bauer and I know the Reds were talking about him prior to the start of the season. I was wanting him then.

While I liked Puig, he’s a free agent after the season and wants to get paid, which I don’t think is a good idea over the long haul.

The part I didn’t like giving up was our minor league outfielder Trammel. He was the Reds top prospect and ranked in the top 15 overall. His bat has slipped some this season, but for a team that lacks hitting, I hope this doesn’t come back to haunt them later.

Still really happy about Bauer !!

I just read some stuff about Bauer and the tribe.  He supposedly knew the trade was in the works when he threw that ball over the center field wall in KC.  

He was pissed, wanted to stay with Cleveland.  But by refusing to sign an extension, and by announcing he’d be only signing one year contracts from now on, the accepted wisdom is that he has doomed himself to an itinerant existence, signed by a contender every year then shipped off at the deadline if the team isn’t doing great.  

He’s a really bright guy, I think he was an engineering major at UCLA.  You guys are in for a fun ride.  He’ll shoot his mouth off.