The Rush Offense

icehole3

First with the Bengals dumping Alexander and his zone blocking and going with Pollack's charge forward scheme I think the Run game will do a complete turn around. I looked at Elliott highlights to just get a feel of what may be the new Bengals running game where Elliott doesn't hesitate and just blasts through the line.  I also read on Bengals.com the RB coach say: “The tracks are defined 100 percent. The reads are defined 100 percent,” Caskey said. “It’s not based on flow of defenses or defensive structure. They have a rule that goes across the board so it’s the same way in any version of any run we have.”

https://www.bengals.com/news/gio-run-game-start-out-tall

If they can get a tab close to what the Cowboy's running game looks like I will be pleasantly surprised.

I was going to bash you for this post, but then remembered we weren't in the optimism thread anymore :P

Regardless of how the right side of the line plays out, the line as a whole should be better than last year.  I'm optimistic that the Lazor/Pollack coaching duo can make it work.

Mixon has talent.  Gio has proven to be an effective straight line back between tackles.

Health and just a some stalemates up front could produce better results. 

Hill floundered in the zone read scheme.

Really need to get back to 2014 downhill style they had going. 

2 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Mixon has talent.  Gio has proven to be an effective straight line back between tackles.

Health and just a some stalemates up front could produce better results. 

Hill floundered in the zone read scheme.

Really need to get back to 2014 downhill style they had going. 

A good point that Goodberry made is that Mixon and Bernard have similar running styles so that Lazor won't have to run different playbooks for different backs.

A big help compared to the Hill/Bernard combo.

Only one day of pads, so this is a small sample size - but camp observers said running lanes were non-existent.  Pass blocking looked ok though, so that’s a plus.

Our running backs may have to make their own holes this year.  

Looking at the videos on Bengals.com it looked like they were super vanilla, no pulling, no stunts, no traps. Look at last year Elliot highlights Pollacks line ran counter trays, traps, etc. Your not going to see much this early they're just firing out. What I did see was Price getting after LBs.

Seriously, and I’m not trying to be funny at all.

When looking at the right side of the o-line, there are concerns. The only hope is that Pollack’s scheme overcomes their short falls.

Fisher, Ogbuehi, Hart, Westerman, etc. are hardly big names I think will be dominant. Again,  success by this unit will be a huge win for Pollack.

7 hours ago, COB said:

Only one day of pads, so this is a small sample size - but camp observers said running lanes were non-existent.  Pass blocking looked ok though, so that’s a plus.

Our running backs may have to make their own holes this year.  

Well you don’t want to spoil them on day one.

To be honest our front seven should be kicking the crap out of that o-line probably all through camp.  

Oh, don't get me wrong.  I'm hopeful for Fisher as well.
I'm also hopeful that whoever lines up at the RG spot has an amazing year.

With all the thoughts of this year riding on the o-line, the right side of the line are where my concerns lie.
That and Glenn being healthy for the whole season.

Honestly, while my "biggest" concern is the right side, there's a large reason they said the success of this team rides on the o-line.
Everything from Glenn staying healthy, to Price manning Center as a rookie, to the entire right side.  Boling is the only one not mentioned for the most part.

"IF" Glenn stays healthy and Price does in fact come as advertised, then yes, the right side is still a fairly large question mark.
The whole thing goes up in smoke should something go wrong with any of these guys.