2018 NFL draft R1 - Billy Price C

kingwilly

I'm going to guess that this forum has slipped in tracking the draft so far. Well, let's keep the tradition alive with some focused words on the R1 pick of these Cincinnati Bengals. 

Billy Price - Center/OL Ohio State. 

Words from Mike Mayock:

21. Billy Price, C, Cincinnati Bengals

Price can play all three interior offensive line positions positions. It's a great pick because they traded for Cordy Glenn, the left side is solid. After that they're hurting up front. That gives them a starting center with the capability of playing either guard.

Kingwilly comment: I like that they went C, as we ALL saw Bodine perfect the "falling backwards hold" maneuver, so let's all hope Price never has a need to learn it. 

7 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Hard to complain about covering a need with one of (if not THE) top rated guys.  It's just not sexy.
Knowing Bodine won't be there on his back helps a lot.

Absolutely. 

I was kind of hoping, for laughs, that Dallas would take a guard, just to deflate all the fake hype when it was their pick. 

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

Big need.    Huge opportunity to improve a very weak area.

Highly rated player.   Boring pick. 

Good chance to have a day 1 starter. 

If they threw Bodine out there to flail away a rookie season, they should be fine with Price day 1.

4 hours ago, Stripes said:

I'm good with boring.  John Ross was a sexy pick and he might as well have a blinking neon sign plastered to his forehead that says "BUST".

Because Marvin wrote it.

Look at Mixon.  Marvin found a way to stunt his impact.

Same with Hill in 2014.

Ross wasn’t given at shot.   

Price was my fav at C until his injury. Lapham convinced me Ragnow is better but even he said it’s close.  The knock on Price is he sometimes ducks into his blocks and stronger guys with some speed will get pass Price in passblocking.  He can even be called too aggressive.  For me, it’s Just a good roster selection.  they played with Bodine for 4 years and had little success, this is an Upgrade.

I think they go OL and LB in the next two picks- order depends on the BPA at those positions 

14 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Because Marvin wrote it.

Look at Mixon.  Marvin found a way to stunt his impact.

Same with Hill in 2014.

Ross wasn’t given at shot.   

Ross said that he injured himself and rushed through the rehab and got injured worse. That’s why he got benched - because he couldn’t practice enough to get the plays down.

dt7Jprqx_bigger.jpeg

Asked Marvin Lewis about rookie WR John Ross shoulder on @SiriusXMNFL & he said it's the "other shoulder" and that Ross had been concealing injury hoping to play before finally "coming clean" with team.

dt7Jprqx_bigger.jpeg

BTW, based on reaction seems people don't realize this isn't that unusual. Young guy w/ "injury prone" label trying to fight thru injury & prove himself.