Zeitler to Cleveland

HoosierCat

18 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Cleveland still has to suffer 17 mil and whatever they decide to have Brock do.   If they cut him they basically bought a second round pick for 17 mil dollars. 

They are cutting RG3, so that clears about 8M. The move they made could run afoul of the CBA rules but we'll see.

cant fault the Browns, they want Garapolo, and need lots of picks to improve the team.

i view them as the biggest winners of FA so far. Their offense will be much better, then they can draft D. Amazing what some creative, aggressive minds can attempt when you want to win. Unlike this team.

The tag would have cost them 14.4 mil and while I really wanted at least of them to stick around, you just knew they weren't paying that.
The thing is it would have bought them time.  Time to further develop or draft a replacement.  It is what it is though.
14.4 million of the 40 million cap space is a large amount for sure.  I can't wholeheartedly say they were wrong, even though I'm still not happy.
Ugh....

Transition Tag was 12.6 million.   It gives you a right to match.   So while teams still could have pursued and messed with contract structure to get a deal that the Bengals wouldn't match  IT probably would have fed right into the story they were pushing that "don't even bother, he's ours" so that probably pushes Whit out of the First day frenzy.    Activity and $$$$ dry up even by the second day.

Whit got a bad team to throw $$$ at him and he took it.      That team would have went elsewhere IF a tag was on Whit.    Then contending teams would have started circling around at maybe lesser money. 

Bengals were rumored to be offering 11/12 in the first year.  The transition tag was a little more.   Just foolish not to use.  They tried to play games and gamble Whit wouldn't follow the money to a bad team coupled with strong rumors they had deals with him just to save 1.6 mil on a deal.

Just stupid.   

Not an exact replay like J. Joe but similar.  They thought they had a deal and/or CBA negotiation would work for them and they wouldn't need a tag.  They got burnt. 

See if they can recover like they did with J.Joe.