Free Agency Watch

HoosierCat

Yeah, looks like just speculation at this point. I could see a trade since jets lost out on Homer but who knows?

to link to tweets copy/paste the link. It will be unweer that little v in the upper right corner. On macs I have to click on share via to get to copy link to tweet.

How anyone can possibly defend what this team is doing is laughable.
They don't want to trade AJ but will listen to calls, then allow their starting LT to walk out of the building.
Couple that with allowing their starting RG do the same and now talks are heating up for the AJ trade ??

I must have the definition for the word "smart" all wrong....

• Like 1

If they truly had offered Whit 12 mil this year with Franchise Tag at 14 and Transition tag at 12 then that's a HUGE error.  No reason to go into FA not protecting an elite talent for about what you wanted to pay.   Just dumb.  They clearly underestimated his desire to go get the extra money. 

Big mistake. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

If they truly had offered Whit 12 mil this year with Franchise Tag at 14 and Transition tag at 12 then that's a HUGE error.  No reason to go into FA not protecting an elite talent for about what you wanted to pay.   Just dumb.  They clearly underestimated his desire to go get the extra money. 

Big mistake. 

Yup yup yup. But it's the typical penny-wise, pound-foolish thinking of the front office. That extra $2 million isn't going to buy you anything so just lock down your top priority and move on. But no...

• Like 1

In the meantime, you see a division rival (Baltimore) with less cap space go out and sign the top safety on the free agent market.
Not saying the Ravens are the masters of managing the cap, but at least they swing for the fences.

The Bengals ??  Bunt and try legging one out.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Dre next?

Likely so. Could see the Saints scoop him. 

At least losing Dre is from a secondary that has talent, even if unproven. The Oline is a disaster today, and will cost this team in very material ways this year. 

They've already let it be known they won't seek a vet, so ready yourself for Cedric to "play" at LT, Fisher at RT. 

This is criminal incompetence, considering they could have tagged Whit to ensure they, at least, retain him this year. If I'm Dalton, I'm pissed. 

I see no good reason why this came to pass, except utter incompetence. 

2 minutes ago, kingwilly said:

They've already let it be known they won't seek a vet, so ready yourself for Cedric to "play" at LT, Fisher at RT. 

I can't believe (at least not yet, but belief may come) that they will go with Ced after last year. I'm calling it now, the 9 hole will be filled by Cam Robinson.

4 minutes ago, kingwilly said:

This is criminal incompetence, considering they could have tagged Whit to ensure they, at least, retain him this year. If I'm Dalton, I'm pissed. 

If I'm Dalton, I'm demanding a trade. Green too.

So the Browns are going to set the market with Bitonio AND get Zeitler ??
I guess that's what happens when you have almost 100 million in cap space.

If we had 100 million in cap space, we'd just sign more 2nd and 3rd tier players.
No reason to put all your eggs in only one basket.

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

In the meantime, you see a division rival (Baltimore) with less cap space go out and sign the top safety on the free agent market.
Not saying the Ravens are the masters of managing the cap, but at least they swing for the fences.

The Bengals ??  Bunt and try legging one out.

Nah.   That move is the equivalent of the Bengals going out and signing a Riley Rief type for LT after missing so badly on Oogie and Whit.

IF that were to happen, not a bad move, but hardly a sign of "swinging for the fences"  more like damage control.

The Ravens completely swung and missed on a first round safety and have swung and missed on a 3rd rounder.   Then got out maneuvered a the top of draft for Jalen Ramsey.

Plan B and Cs can produce favorable results but really from a fan's standpoint it's like throwing crap against a wall and hoping it sticks.   

The Ravens have also opened up holes on their line by losing a Pro Bowl guard last year and their starting Right Tackle this year.

None of us would be happy in that situation today other than to say we had a Superbowl 4 seasons ago. 

True.   Bengals didn't cash their 11-5 and 12-4 division champ seasons into a Superbowl like the Ravens. 

That will always be the trump card against the Bengals which is fair.      I still think you can accurately describe the Ravens situation currently.