So It's Not Just Bengal Bias!!!

gregcook68

Wow, even in a story that says they get treated with a different set of rules and the fact that Stealer players are routinely having issues with the law, they get a pass because they are the "model NFL franchise"!

What a F'ing joke of an article.  If that is the model, I want nothing to do with being a "model NFL franchise".

6 minutes ago, redsbengalsbucks said:

Wow, even in a story that says they get treated with a different set of rules and the fact that Stealer players are routinely having issues with the law, they get a pass because they are the "model NFL franchise"!

What a F'ing joke of an article.  If that is the model, I want nothing to do with being a "model NFL franchise".

Well said rbb.I said it before and I'll say it again.  As frustrating as Marvin and Brown can be, if the Bengals organization become a 'win at any cost' franchise, I'm out!!  Brown and Lewis truly care about these guys and their life outside of their job of playing football.  Yes, the Lombardi would the icing on the cake but not at thuglike mentality, IMHO.

No. 1 -  Any media member or fan trying to draw distinction between franchises on the basis of off the field problems or drugs is living in fantasy land.    There simply is a minority but significant percentage of players in the overall player pool that are dirt balls.     It's just a matter of time under the current rules that ANY NFL franchise can have a string of incidents with their players.

No. 2 -  The NFL is a parity league.  There simply isn't that much difference overall talent wise from 6-10 and 10-6 team.  The rosters are limited to 53 and the amount of money spent is limited by a soft but effective salary cap.   No team (including the Bengals) if they want to win can afford to completely eliminate the portion of "dirt balls" from consideration.

The Steelers benefit from a large positive media bias that is probably only rivaled by the Dallas Cowboys or Green Bay Packers.   All 3 have huge national and international followings.

As we've recently seen and have seen in the past.   When Troy P.  or Hines or whoever lines up a dirty, cheap shot.   It is applauded!  Tough football.     Burfict hits Ben it's a cheap shot.    Bengals draft guys that run a foul of the law it's Mike Brown being cheap and a systematic problem because he's cheap.    Steeler QB rapes some girls,  Eh, he's Big Ben.

Not worth racking your brain over.  Just know that it exist.   It exists on every level of sports competition.   The Pittsburgh Steelers receive the Coach K/Duke, Roy Williams/UNC ACC free pass.  

I've argued for years.  The Bengals need to start playing this game more.     

54 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

No. 1 -  Any media member or fan trying to draw distinction between franchises on the basis of off the field problems or drugs is living in fantasy land.    There simply is a minority but significant percentage of players in the overall player pool that are dirt balls.     It's just a matter of time under the current rules that ANY NFL franchise can have a string of incidents with their players.

No. 2 -  The NFL is a parity league.  There simply isn't that much difference overall talent wise from 6-10 and 10-6 team.  The rosters are limited to 53 and the amount of money spent is limited by a soft but effective salary cap.   No team (including the Bengals) if they want to win can afford to completely eliminate the portion of "dirt balls" from consideration.

The Steelers benefit from a large positive media bias that is probably only rivaled by the Dallas Cowboys or Green Bay Packers.   All 3 have huge national and international followings.

As we've recently seen and have seen in the past.   When Troy P.  or Hines or whoever lines up a dirty, cheap shot.   It is applauded!  Tough football.     Burfict hits Ben it's a cheap shot.    Bengals draft guys that run a foul of the law it's Mike Brown being cheap and a systematic problem because he's cheap.    Steeler QB rapes some girls,  Eh, he's Big Ben.

Not worth racking your brain over.  Just know that it exist.   It exists on every level of sports competition.   The Pittsburgh Steelers receive the Coach K/Duke, Roy Williams/UNC ACC free pass.  

I've argued for years.  The Bengals need to start playing this game more.     

I don't think the Bengals are intimidated by the Steelers whatsoever.  I think the Steelers know this and have reverted to Plan B, which is pushing their buttons to get them to react causing the costly 'after whistle personal fouls'.  The Bengals need to learn how to play them with the same 'poised aggression' the Ravens do.

I've argued before and will continue to argue that a good bit of he bias has to do with ex-players and coaches in the media. Guys like The Chin, Bettis, Wines Hard etc. remain partisans for Pitt while ex-Bengals can't wait to crap all over their old team. It's why I can't stand Esiason or Collinsworth any longer.

The 90's turned many of our former players sour on the organization and since the ownership has remained so does the sourness.  After years of being embarrassed by the owners' cheapness and the pathetic play on the field, our former players dropped all allegiance to their former team.  The Steelers by contrast have been the model of a consistent NFL franchise and thus their former players (like the Belichek Patriots players) carry the Steelers emblem with pride.  The worm is turning but nothing short of a championship will erase those memories entirely.

Winning in the playoffs will change perception dramatically.  Let's face it for three years or so the Bengals have had the talent to compete with anyone on the field.  Once they start winning in the playoffs consistently the tone will change until then we will just have to put up the snide comments and the disrespect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

The 90's turned many of our former players sour on the organization and since the ownership has remained so does the sourness.  After years of being embarrassed by the owners' cheapness and the pathetic play on the field, our former players dropped all allegiance to their former team.  The Steelers by contrast have been the model of a consistent NFL franchise and thus their former players (like the Belichek Patriots players) carry the Steelers emblem with pride.  The worm is turning but nothing short of a championship will erase those memories entirely.

Winning in the playoffs will change perception dramatically.  Let's face it for three years or so the Bengals have had the talent to compete with anyone on the field.  Once they start winning in the playoffs consistently the tone will change until then we will just have to put up the snide comments and the disrespect.

I don't think playoff wins and even a SB will change the media and critics whatsoever.  IMHO the only possible way the talking heads may be forced into changing their tune, is if there is a few Lombardis in the franchise resume.  Otherwise, any progress the Bengals make will be written off "as winning in spite of themselves, and playing over their head, how can you expect them NOT to win with that talent," etc. etc. followed by, "we are to expect them to get back to being the Bungles next year."

Steeler players are rewarded for being loyal to the franchise and fan base.    Sports memorabilia shows are often packed with Steelers including "no-names".   Their fees for signing are often higher.   Same with appearances etc. 

If you go too far against the organization, you could be risking $$$$$$.   Just the same if you are uber positive then you probably can add $$$$.

There's a much much much smaller market for that for former Bengals. 

IMO, the Bengals receive much more respect today than per Marvin or even early Marvin.   It is lukewarm respect or slow coming.   For example:  I think since 2013 the Bengals have spent the most weeks in first place in the division and for any season (2013, 2014,2015 and 2016) have never been the clear cut favorite.   But a lot of coverage has called them talented and has complemented on their drafting etc.

But the main thing the Bengals are never going to change the biased critic.  Never.   You have to drown out their voice with positive Bengal coverage.   Bengals are horrible at marketing etc.

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

Steeler players are rewarded for being loyal to the franchise and fan base.    Sports memorabilia shows are often packed with Steelers including "no-names".   Their fees for signing are often higher.   Same with appearances etc. 

If you go too far against the organization, you could be risking $$$$$$.   Just the same if you are uber positive then you probably can add $$$$.

There's a much much much smaller market for that for former Bengals. 

IMO, the Bengals receive much more respect today than per Marvin or even early Marvin.   It is lukewarm respect or slow coming.   For example:  I think since 2013 the Bengals have spent the most weeks in first place in the division and for any season (2013, 2014,2015 and 2016) have never been the clear cut favorite.   But a lot of coverage has called them talented and has complemented on their drafting etc.

But the main thing the Bengals are never going to change the biased critic.  Never.   You have to drown out their voice with positive Bengal coverage.   Bengals are horrible at marketing etc.

From the lips of Lewis; 'IGNORE THE NOISE!!'