2013 Draft Class - First Round Options

AMPHAR

I believe 12 options have not been picked up for former first round prospects.   That sounds kinda high.    It also may point to the overall weakness in that particular draft class.

Many times media and fans get caught in the trap that each draft pool of players is equal.   They aren't.   IF 2013 was a relatively down year that fact the Bengals landed Eifert, Gio, Williams and Burkhead is an amazing job.    All these players as they become Free Agents will have some support among fans for extensions.   Meanwhile 12 teams are willing to expose their first round pick to the open market.

It also goes to show just how much of a crap shoot the draft can really be.
At the time a team drafts a player in the first round, most fans think they are going to be a great player in the league.
This is yet another reminder how things can work out when a player attempts to work at the next level.

I have to take a minute to say how much I appreciate the rookie wage scale.
At one point in time, these kids were making so much money, it was hard to cut them loose when not performing.
Look at the difference between Sam Bradford's rookie deal (last before rookie wage scale) and Cam Newton (first after rookie wage scale).
Bradford had a six year deal for 78 million and 50 million guaranteed.  Newton had a 4 year deal for 22 million, all of which was guaranteed.

34 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I have to take a minute to say how much I appreciate the rookie wage scale.
At one point in time, these kids were making so much money, it was hard to cut them loose when not performing.

It has changes the league.  And it can work in the other direction, too.  If your first or second round guy is nearly a bust, you aren't paying him like 10% of your salary cap anymore.  So now if you think he needs more time, you can afford to give it to him.  Bustpatrick comes to mind.  Injured and ineffective, but was signed in 2012 so they weren't bleeding to death if they kept him.  It really worked in his favor.