Bengals @ Browns Game Thread

ArmyBengal

With Hoosier stepping out for a bit, i'm going to jump in to keep the talk going.

Bengals head to Cleveland for this Sunday's game.

I know people say all games are must wins, but this game is truly that for the Bengals if they want to continue to control their playoff chances.

I'm curious what it's going to take for the defense pull their head out of their ass after yesterdays game.

I'm curious what the coaching staff can do in order to get the players heads into it.

I haven't heard anything new about Burfict and I guess we probably won't for a couple of days, but his absence isn't helping in the least.

I'm also a little concerned with what looks to be Manziel getting the start for the Browns. The Bengals don't typically do well when facing rookie QB's and you know that crowd will be going crazy. There is no tape of Manziel for them to really look at and they know they have a lot on the line.

With all that being said, this is the kind of game where you are left wondering what to expect, only to see them come out and completely control the game from start to finish. I'll be happy if that is the outcome, but then will be shaking my head further at how inconsistent this team has been.

JUST BEAT THE BROWNS !!!

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I think Manziel could have a huge impact on this game.

To start, the fans are going to be going crazy if he indeed starts the game. It will be loud.

He can also make plays with his legs and that is that part of his game that worries me when looking at our defense.

Speaking of defense, do you know we are one of only two teams that have a winning record and have given up more points than scored and the only one currently leading their division ?? The other ?? The 49er's, who all but knocked themselves out of the playoffs yesterday after losing to the Raiders.

It's almost as if the Bengals use losses as a motivator. It's a Marvin Lewis MO. They don't know how to sustain success. "We thrive as the undersdog!" Ok...but you have to suck to some extent to be the underdog.

Like drinking coffee to stay awake. The problem is that at some point, the coffee doesn't work anymore...and if you need a bad loss to stay motivated, you end up with alot of losses.

I made the comment after the first Cleveland game that I am now absolutely clueless as to what it will take to motivate this team.

A few weeks later and i'm still equally clueless. It seems all the things that should motivate them don't, but taking an assbeating does.

So they should be ready to win Sunday by that line of thought.

I guess we should be hoping they get the hell beat out of them by the Broncos, so we can go into Pittsburgh ready to get pay back huh ??

I made the comment after the first Cleveland game that I am now absolutely clueless as to what it will take to motivate this team.

A few weeks later and i'm still equally clueless. It seems all the things that should motivate them don't, but taking an assbeating does.

So they should be ready to win Sunday by that line of thought.

I guess we should be hoping they get the hell beat out of them by the Broncos, so we can go into Pittsburgh ready to get pay back huh ??

Bingo!

I think we see a repeat of what followed the Cleveland game, they win 3 in a row, then another egg laid in the playoff game.

I think they go to Cleveland for revenge, Burfict back for Denver and the defense shows up and stymies Denver like they did the Pats last year, getting another primetime home victory to stay over.500 for the home primetime franchise record, then go to Pittsburgh and do what they did in 2012, then lay the egg in the first playoff game!

If they can win the last three against those teams, they will head into the playoffs as the hot team.

That's exactly what you hope for in that situation. I just don't have faith it will happen and even if it does, what the outcome would be.

Seriously, if they win out, people will be talking Super Bowl.

This season has provided plenty of reasons why you shouldn't make predictions about any team.

If they can win the last three against those teams, they will head into the playoffs as the hot team.

That's exactly what you hope for in that situation. I just don't have faith it will happen and even if it does, what the outcome would be.

Seriously, if they win out, people will be talking Super Bowl.

This season has provided plenty of reasons why you shouldn't make predictions about any team.

This has been one of the strangest seasons I can remember Army, on that I definitely agree.

As far as predictions, that's all that goes on in here. We have no say so or control about what happens, so predicting is all we have and can do.

I will also predict Brady gets his 4th ring this year and DARE anyone to beat his team again, like the Chiefs did this year!

Yes predicting is all we have to do.

I guess I should have added that you shouldn't expect to be right.

How many games have gone exactly the opposite of what was thought this season ??

I don't know how people are doing in their pick'em leagues this year, but if I were playing this season, I would be in last.

this team still has twice as many wins as losses, which does seem crazy considering the drastic differences we see from the team week-to-week.

Against the Browns, I think they have a chance to get a win. Hoyer is playing like dog turds and they struggle in many phases. If the bengals roll Hall pout there again and he is anywhere near Josh Gordon, they need to fired the DC and the his staff.

I can't see them having much success against Denver, or Pitt for that matter, so i mark them to end the season at 9-6-1. If they squeak by and get the division, I can't see them beating SD or Pitt. They just don't have the defense right now.

In this precarious spot, now would be the time to get Dennard and Kirk heavily into the defensive gameplan. If they can build some confidence, they could be the difference the team needs. If they end up getting burned a bunch, at least they'll have gained the experience, and we will know more about what to do with Drekirk going forward.

On the D-line, there is just not much to be done. Hunt is hurt, and they just don't have the talent at DE to make any impact. Dunlap is a shell of his former self. Geathers should have been released before 2013, and they should have made all the smart moves to keep MJ. The Clarke pick could have been WR John Brown, in an effort to replace Baby Hawk.

All that aside, missing Burfict, Eifert, Jones, and now Moobs, they just are not the same team.

this team still has twice as many wins as losses, which does seem crazy considering the drastic differences we see from the team week-to-week.

Against the Browns, I think they have a chance to get a win. Hoyer is playing like dog turds and they struggle in many phases. If the bengals roll Hall pout there again and he is anywhere near Josh Gordon, they need to fired the DC and the his staff.

I can't see them having much success against Denver, or Pitt for that matter, so i mark them to end the season at 9-6-1. If they squeak by and get the division, I can't see them beating SD or Pitt. They just don't have the defense right now.

In this precarious spot, now would be the time to get Dennard and Kirk heavily into the defensive gameplan. If they can build some confidence, they could be the difference the team needs. If they end up getting burned a bunch, at least they'll have gained the experience, and we will know more about what to do with Drekirk going forward.

On the D-line, there is just not much to be done. Hunt is hurt, and they just don't have the talent at DE to make any impact. Dunlap is a shell of his former self. Geathers should have been released before 2013, and they should have made all the smart moves to keep MJ. The Clarke pick could have been WR John Brown, in an effort to replace Baby Hawk.

All that aside, missing Burfict, Eifert, Jones, and now Moobs, they just are not the same team.

I still say that Burfict, when he's right, brings the inspiration to not just the defense but the offense as well. He's the QB on defense and gets those around him to play up! That, in and of itself, may have made enough difference even without Eifert and Jones.

I'm not getting my hopes up at all for a W this Sunday. As a matter of fact, I can see us going 0-3 for the next three weeks. Or winning enough to ensure that our draft pick isn't that great for next season and missing the playoffs by a 1/2 a game due to the tie! This team in no where near ready for the playoffs much less a championship. They have a great game and then look like the bad news bears in the next one. Dalton has flashes of a good QB and then he looks like a junior varsity QB at times. The def can't tackle and DB's can't cover anyone! Lord help us if it comes down to a clutch kick to win a game!! The coaching staff has no idea how to put a game plan together or make adjustments.. Time management has always sucked under Lewis Watch! Gresham is in some type of fight every game - why can't the coaches fix that? He either gets a 15 yard penalty or fumbles!! We never use # 11 and he has skills. Just like we didn't use Hawkins that much last season and now look at him, he's kicking ass in Cleveland! When we get the ball at the end of the half we never seem to try to score, why is that? Why do we waste time outs early in the game?

I still say that Burfict, when he's right, brings the inspiration to not just the defense but the offense as well. He's the QB on defense and gets those around him to play up! That, in and of itself, may have made enough difference even without Eifert and Jones.

Lap says he does not see Burfict coming back this year. He said it sucks because he would have stuffed Pitts power run game.

All year the corners have not been bad, yesterday they were horrible. The problem is the bengals have no pass rush, the corners have to cover for way to long, and they really showed there age against Pitt. I would like to see more Kirkpatrick and Dennard as well problem is Marvin dosnt like to play young corners, he never has.

This team now is a few players away from being really good, but damn they need to find some pass rush somewhere.

I'm not getting my hopes up at all for a W this Sunday. As a matter of fact, I can see us going 0-3 for the next three weeks. Or winning enough to ensure that our draft pick isn't that great for next season and missing the playoffs by a 1/2 a game due to the tie! This team in no where near ready for the playoffs much less a championship. They have a great game and then look like the bad news bears in the next one. Dalton has flashes of a good QB and then he looks like a junior varsity QB at times. The def can't tackle and DB's can't cover anyone! Lord help us if it comes down to a clutch kick to win a game!! The coaching staff has no idea how to put a game plan together or make adjustments.. Time management has always sucked under Lewis Watch! Gresham is in some type of fight every game - why can't the coaches fix that? He either gets a 15 yard penalty or fumbles!! We never use # 11 and he has skills. Just like we didn't use Hawkins that much last season and now look at him, he's kicking ass in Cleveland! When we get the ball at the end of the half we never seem to try to score, why is that? Why do we waste time outs early in the game?

In a relatively 'normal' NFL season, which this has NOT been, for most of the 32 teams, I would agree.

How many people do you know, that thought they had chance in hell of winning 3 in a row on the road after the Cleveland game?

There's nothing that can happen the rest of the season that would surprise me, positive or negative.

Over the last 4 games we are 3-1 and most of us would have taken that in a heartbeat.

We have 3 games left, two of which are on the road and then Denver (is that a Prime Timer?).

If, and I do appreciate it's a massive IF with xmas bells on it, we win out then we win the AFCN with an 11-4-1 record which is a much better record than most of us predicted before week 1, and certainly a great record when you factor in the injuries to key players along the way.

If we win 2 games we'll end with a 10-5-1 record ...good enough for the post-season? should be, but could end up with a road trip to Pittsburgh or Baltimore depending on other results????

If we we just 1 then surely we're done. A 9-6-1 record isn't likely to cut the mustard as we'd probably finish 3rd at best in the AFCN. Not impossible for a division to field 3 play-off teams but unlikely.

However it shakes down the fact remains that next up is Cleveland away and our run to the post season starts there. They have a great D so it's gonna be tough as always. Are we good enough to go up there and beat them? Hell yeah. Just as they were good enough to come to PBS and lay it on us there. Tough, tough game ahead.

I'd preferred NOT to have seen Marvin run his mouth about Manziel .... why the hell give an opponent any added incentive to prove a point against you. Especially when historically you shit-out against rookie QB's dash.gifdash.gifdash.gif http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000441113/article/marvin-lewis-mocks-johnny-manziel-

Over the last 4 games we are 3-1 and most of us would have taken that in a heartbeat.

We have 3 games left, two of which are on the road and then Denver (is that a Prime Timer?).

If, and I do appreciate it's a massive IF with xmas bells on it, we win out then we win the AFCN with an 11-4-1 record which is a much better record than most of us predicted before week 1, and certainly a great record when you factor in the injuries to key players along the way.

If we win 2 games we'll end with a 10-5-1 record ...good enough for the post-season? should be, but could end up with a road trip to Pittsburgh or Baltimore depending on other results????

If we we just 1 then surely we're done. A 9-6-1 record isn't likely to cut the mustard as we'd probably finish 3rd at best in the AFCN. Not impossible for a division to field 3 play-off teams but unlikely.

However it shakes down the fact remains that next up is Cleveland away and our run to the post season starts there. They have a great D so it's gonna be tough as always. Are we good enough to go up there and beat them? Hell yeah. Just as they were good enough to come to PBS and lay it on us there. Tough, tough game ahead.

I'd preferred NOT to have seen Marvin run his mouth about Manziel .... why the hell give an opponent any added incentive to prove a point against you. Especially when historically you shit-out against rookie QB's dash.gifdash.gifdash.gif http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000441113/article/marvin-lewis-mocks-johnny-manziel-

Yes the Broncos game is primetime, but they have a franchise winning record in home primetime games, believe it or not, and Marvin is 12-11 on primetime home games. This is a home game and they are due for a primetime win at home.

Also Marvin's record against rookie QBs is 14-10, per article on the website.