Headline News: Bengal Gets Speeding Ticket

HoosierCat

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/25/bengals-de-sam-montgomery-ticketed-for-speeding/

Oh my God can training camp PLEASE get here...

89 in a 55 zone and he gets actually put in jail? Gee, I wonder what would have happened if the speeder had been a 50 year old white man? This is ridiculous.

So today I see Coley Harvey wrote this:

But what really makes a team "good?" The best indicator is seeing how often a team consistently outscores its opponents.

Face. Palm.

Please, please, please get here soon, regular season...

Wow. What was I saying about these guys and being lazy ?? Yeah, that.

I was just sitting here thinking and I realized something.

The best indicator of ice melting is how hot it gets.

I know that's crazy talk, but stew on that for a minute.

Stew on that.... Yeah....

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/25/bengals-de-sam-montgomery-ticketed-for-speeding/

Oh my God can training camp PLEASE get here...

89 in a 55 zone and he gets actually put in jail? Gee, I wonder what would have happened if the speeder had been a 50 year old white man? This is ridiculous.

Yes, Im sure the only reason he had to go to jail was because he was black. That is reckless driving, by anybody. There is always the chance you end up at jail when doing more than 30 mph over the speed limit. I know this first hand.

Always a chance. That statement reflects the reality that police officers have discretion.

Driving while black is a myth. Studies show black people get pulled over at about the same rate as white people. It is what happens after the initial stop, that is, when police officers exercise their discretion, that is troubling and leads me to complain like I did earlier in this thread.

After the stop, black people are twice as likely to be arrested as white people. An even more startling fact (to me) is that, after the stop, police search vehicles driven by black people 3 times more than those driven by white people.

So I have reason to suspect that his race had something to do with this dude being tossed in the jail for speeding, something that in my experience hardly ever happens.

These figures come from a study done by the Bush Administration's justice department, and a study in North Carolina that came up with almost the same results.

/>http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/09/30/2699351/north-carolina-police-3-times-more-likely-to-arrest-blacks-for-seat-belt-violation-study-finds/

Deadspin weighs in on this issue. Deadspin link

Bengals defensive end Sam Montgomery was pulled over early Wednesday morning when L.Cpl. R.S. Salter clocked him driving 89 mph in a 55 mph zone. Once Salter pulled him over, the South Carolina state trooper turned into a real asshole. Montgomery was berated, handcuffed, put in the back of a patrol car, and taken to jail. Under South Carolina law, officers can make an arrest for speeding over 25 mph the posted limit. So, Montgomery was booked and released later that day with a $355 citation. Despite the legality of the arrest, Salter was suspended without pay the next day.

It's pretty clear to see why, too. As soon as Salter approaches the vehicle, he asks Montgomery if he is in the military. Salter says he's not military, but he is in the NFL. Salter's response is quick: "NFL? You're under arrest ... step out, please." Montgomery steps out and is incredibly, ridiculously polite as Salter gets more and more aggressive, at one point threatening to use a stun gun on the former Texans draft pick.

While there are some cordial moments later in the recording, the beginning of the stop is tense, with Salter at one point threatening to use a stun gun on Montgomery.

"Do not move. Look away from me. Look away. Look away. Keep your feet together. Sir, if you cannot follow my commands, the next thing you're going to get is a tazer. Spread your feet," said Salter in the video.

"Whoa, I'm not causing any problems," said Montgomery.

Salter was suspended and the South Carolina Department of Public Safety noted that while he was legally authorized to arrest Montgomery, it is a discretionary arrest and Salter's "behavior during the traffic stop of Mr. Montgomery was not representative of the professionalism displayed by our troopers and officers every day around the state."

For some reason Salter's wife spoke on behalf of her husband and claimed he had no idea Montgomery was an NFL player, which was obviously a lie.

Montgomery has had a weird path in the NFL. He was released by the Texans during the 2013 season and reports initially claimed it was for marijuana use. He and his agent vehemently denied those reports and claimed it was for the murkier violation of team rules. He then went to Oakland where he injured his knee in his first practice. He's now hoping to catch on with the Bengals.

That's one of the funniest dash cam videos ever. Pudgy white hobbit-sized cop pulls over Sam-beard the Ent, leading to a game of Twister with no board or spinner. "Put your right foot on RED! RED!! Left foot on yellow! DON'T LOOK AT ME!!!! Wave your hands in the air like you just don't care!!!"

Cop is clearly scared crapless that Montgomery is going snap and kick his tiny butt any second, while Sam is doing his best [Chris Rock imitation.

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65zXlytv01c

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

WTF is wrong with South Carolina cops? Guy gets pulled over, cop asks for license, guy reaches for license, cop starts shooting????

/>http://www.thestate.com/2014/09/25/3703695_sc-trooper-charged-with-felony.html?rh=1

Dashcam video:

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBUUO_VFYMs

SC: now off my list of potential vacation destinations.