Army's 2014 Mock

ArmyBengal

I've mentioned many times that I believe they could go many different ways in each of the rounds and this year more than most, it's a huge guess.

That being said, I didn't want it to go by and not at least make an attempt. I repeat that I feel they could go in MANY different directions.

Oh, I also felt there may be a need at OLB, so if someone would prefer a 5th round OLB instead of a center, cool...

1st Round: Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech

I just think they are going CB one way or another here and if both Gilbert and Dennard are gone and I had to pick, I would pick Fuller here.

Verrett is too small and I could really see him falling to be quite honest. Ghee is gone, Newman is up for FA next season, Jones is getting up there, Hall is coming back from his 2nd major injury, and Kirkpatrick hasn't assumed a starter's role to this point. If for some reason they don't go CB in the first, the OG out of UCLA Sua'Filo would be a nice 2nd option for me.

2nd Round: David Yankey, OG, Stanford

A versatile O-lineman that has gotten time at LT as well as LG. I am guessing that Pollack earns the starting center spot and that leaves a hole at LG with Boling coming off a season ending injury and not thought to be ready. Not only that, but Boling is a free agent next year as well. I simply think this is a pick that could come in and immediately start, which would be huge for the offense and Dalton. If they went OG in the first, my choice here would be a CB.

3rd Round: Billy Turner, OT, North Dakota State

Has anyone watched this kid play ?? Good Lord, he's someone to watch for and could go higher than the 3rd. A great pick to have groom behind Whit without the thought of needing him to start right away. Since we lost both AC and Fragel, I think they really have to target a solid backup within the first few rounds.

4th Round: Jaylen Watkins, CB, Florida

Like I mentioned before, there are many questions about the CB spot and they sure aren't getting any younger. Watkins has some size and speed to him and has also played some safety as well. Could certainly be a good teams guy while waiting for his opportunity.

5th Round: Bryan Stork, OC, Florida State

That's right TJ, you get an o-lineman at each position in this draft. Beers are on me !!!

With Cook being shown the door, I think this pick is certainly more feasible. It's another nice pick for depth that has the potential to turn into a starting center. Has shown versatility at Florida State as well, but center is his natural spot. I guess this really depends on how they view Robinson and what they do with Pollack. Obviously, they may feel there's no need to draft a center, but I like it.

6th Round: Dri Archer, RB/WR, Kent State

Think the speed replacement for Hawkins who is built along the same lines and has crazy speed and quickness. A poor man's Tavon Austin ??

Either way around, there are many who question what we actually have after our top 3 WR's and I wouldn't mind adding his speed in the loss of Hawkins.

6th Round: Tom Savage, QB, Pittsburgh

Here's the developmental QB I think they need to go get. Savage is big, has some movement to him and has a big arm as well. When I watch him play, I think of Ben Roethlisberger in need of refinement. He can get a little sloppy at times, but like I said, that's where the term "developmental" comes into play. No one would be asking him to start and he could learn from both Dalton and Campbell. Savage might actually go a little higher than this, but I would love this comp pick in the 6th round.

7th Round: Jake Murphy, TE, Utah

I've heard nothing about Smith coming back at this point and Gresham is a free agent after this season. Murphy is a big kid with ability as a blocker and pass catcher. If not him, I could see another local TE prospect in UC's Blake Annen. Either way around, I see a TE in this draft and could see it as early as the 5th round (since i'm guessing) if things fell differently.

7th Round: Aaron Lynch, DE, South Florida

With a lot of reports lately of this kid being an absolute mess off the field, I can see him continuing to fall. This could be our next Burfict if someone was there to put his head on straight and get the lightbulb to come on. Some might say we need a DE early, but I really don't see it that way. Geathers will be back healthy, Gilberry put up 7.5 sacks last season, and Hunt has a season under his belt. That and none of them will be free agents in the coming season either.

D*MN computer just wiped out my post and I had to start over.

I will try to simplify since I have to do it again.

-I don't think they go RB and I want to see what Burkhead brings.

-I thought about Telvin Smith, OLB, Florida St. in the 3rd.

-I wondered if they might consider Pryor in the 1st since the appeared to want Reid last year in the 1st.

-I don't really care about WR, but love the speed that Archer could bring. Give him some snaps that Hawkins took and kick return duties. (3 return TD's)

-I've seen Stork all over the place and they could address it earlier and I wouldn't complain a bit.

-I've mentioned my loathing for this QB draft class and my mock reflects my disgust. 2015? Yeah, i'm good there.

-Switch OT and OG if you choose. I would offer up little to no complaint. My 3rd rounder could rise to the 2nd to be honest.

-Don't want to wait on a top end OG because I think it's the only position a rookie could come in and start this year.

-Figured you would like the lineman.

Honestly though, you could do 10 mocks for this draft and not get a single pick correct.

I seriously think they have that many options and aren't as locked into any position as most seem to think they are.

D*MN computer just wiped out my post and I had to start over.

I will try to simplify since I have to do it again.

-I don't think they go RB and I want to see what Burkhead brings.

-I thought about Telvin Smith, OLB, Florida St. in the 3rd.

-I wondered if they might consider Pryor in the 1st since the appeared to want Reid last year in the 1st.

-I don't really care about WR, but love the speed that Archer could bring. Give him some snaps that Hawkins took and kick return duties. (3 return TD's)

-I've seen Stork all over the place and they could address it earlier and I wouldn't complain a bit.

-I've mentioned my loathing for this QB draft class and my mock reflects my disgust. 2015? Yeah, i'm good there.

-Switch OT and OG if you choose. I would offer up little to no complaint. My 3rd rounder could rise to the 2nd to be honest.

-Don't want to wait on a top end OG because I think it's the only position a rookie could come in and start this year.

-Figured you would like the lineman.

Honestly though, you could do 10 mocks for this draft and not get a single pick correct.

I seriously think they have that many options and aren't as locked into any position as most seem to think they are.

Man, I would love Pryor in the first. Really doubt he drops, though. If they do take a S somewhere in the draft does that take the place of one of the CB's?

I love watching highlights of Archer. No one comes close to him when he's in the open field.

That old saying about not being able to teach speed applies here.

I say the same thing about McCalleb, but they don't seem to have a use for him.

Archer at least has experience in the return game and has taken 3 of them to the house.

Army, I like the flow of your mock.

It does seem a little O-line heavy. I could see them going DE/DT in r2 or r3. Hard to see them taking Oline in 2nd and 3rd. Except for C, the line is pretty deep.

A guy like or DaQuan Jones in r2 or Jeffcoat in r3.

The only other thing is if Fuller is gone (possible), the may go with a S or LB in r1. Pryor, if he's there, or a LB like Dee Ford form Auburn would not be bad.

I feel like the glaring weakness is at CB on the team. Best they shore that up any way they can. I like the Watkins kid in r4.

Honestly Willy, it took me forever to come up with this mock. I've gone over it a ton and just don't know. Thanks though.

I was thinking the same thing about the o-line when it was all said and done, but it could happen.

If Pollack doesn't end up taking the center position, he's probably the starting LG, but I think he does take center and an early round rookie could start at LG.

That being said, Boling isn't going to be ready day one after coming back from season ending injury and will be a FA next season.

I look at the depth and I can't say as i'm as happy as I use to be there. A bunch of question marks I can see them addressing.

OT is an absolute after losing Fragel from the practice squad raid and AC in free agency.

As I mentioned though, I could see a need for an OLB as well and that wouldn't bother me in the least.

I really like Telvin Smith out of FSU.

Honestly Willy, it took me forever to come up with this mock. I've gone over it a ton and just don't know. Thanks though.

I was thinking the same thing about the o-line when it was all said and done, but it could happen.

If Pollack doesn't end up taking the center position, he's probably the starting LG, but I think he does take center and an early round rookie could start at LG.

That being said, Boling isn't going to be ready day one after coming back from season ending injury and will be a FA next season.

I look at the depth and I can't say as i'm as happy as I use to be there. A bunch of question marks I can see them addressing.

OT is an absolute after losing Fragel from the practice squad raid and AC in free agency.

As I mentioned though, I could see a need for an OLB as well and that wouldn't bother me in the least.

I really like Telvin Smith out of FSU.

I'm not sure Pollack ends up at C. Robinson was more than able while Cook was out, and there are two other guys listed as C's on the roster. To me, Robinson'd have the inside track to the job. Pollack had time at C in college but has only been a G as a pro. I fully agree that Boling may not be ready, so I see Pollack slotting in at LG almost certainly. No reason to stick the experienced vet Guard at Center, when we have several other C's and not many other G's.

In the draft, I bet they do take two O-line players. Tackle is almost a guarantee. Maybe even two Tackles, considering the depth there now is Roland (unsigned) and Hawkinson (raw) and Newhouse (not great).

The one thing I do see this line having is versatility. Guys can move around and play several spots. So that is some upside.

I like Telvin Smith a lot, too. He is solid in r3.

If Fuller is not there, who do you have as the back up pick in r1?

Another direction in the first round ?? I know many think they are locked in, but I think they could go in many directions at #24.

I see it basically as a best player available "IF" there isn't a CB they like sitting there.

If either Gilbert, Dennard, Fuller are there, i'm betting they will be the pick. Heck, i'm now seeing mocks of us taking Roby at #24. (bleh)

Anyway, since the question is on the table, I will take a few different stabs at it:

If Calvin Pryor is there, it would make sense. They wanted Reid last year in the first and they could use the depth at FS.

If they want to upgrade either the MLB or OLB spots, both Mosely and Shazier could be there for the taking.

DE would certainly be in the mix with a guy like Kony Ealy or Dee Ford. If there is no CB at #24, DE wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I will even place OG in there as well with Xavier S'ua-Filo. Has time at LT and would start immediately at LG. Versatile o-lineman they like.

Then there's always the guy that drops that no one thought would be there when we get on the board.

Looking at guys that are thought to go about 5-6 picks before we go on the board:

Zack Martin would make a ton of sense.

What about a WR ?? Too many to name Odell Beckham, Brandin Cooks, etc.

Anyway, I guess that doesn't really answer your question does it ??

Fine, put me down for a DE that should be there around that pick.

I keep thinking that Dee Ford in the first makes a whole bunch of sense for the Bengals. He seems to be a perfect Marvin Lewis type person and while I get frustrated by the "experts" automaticly selecting a DE for the Bengals in Rd. 1 just because they lost Michael Johnson (without realizing they were planning for MJ to leave when they drafted Margus Hunt) I think if the draft falls out with the top corners, safeties, and OLinemen going before 24, he might represent the BPA.

Also it wouldn't shock me to see the Bengals trade down in this draft with some team desperate to get back into the late first to draft the QB they need to have (see Minnesota). With this drafts' depth you are going to get a player in the high 2nd of almost equal value as at #24.

I like the thought of a trade down as well, but it's always a crap shoot.

In last years draft, the Vikings traded up from 52 to 29 and gave up their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks to New England.

For a team at the top of the 2nd to get to 24 this year, it should take at least that.

How about getting Zimmer to hand over their 2nd and both 3rd's for #24 ??

Won't happen, but a man can dream right ??