Would you trade #17 and #21

Wraith

One mock I have read had Cincy trading 17 and 21 to Carolina to trade up to 8 and draft Trent Richardson. Richardson is a transcendant talent and I think he is the closest player to Adrian Peterson I have seen since AP came out of Oklahoma. I might do it, what do you think.

Not a chance I would do that. It's not that I don't like Richardson at all, it's just that first round picks are worth so much more with the rookie wage scale that I think it would be giving up entirely to much. There are many ways to look at this as well. Some still speculate that Richardson will fall and while I don't think he will fall to #17, stranger things have happened. Even if he were to fall to around 12, we could then look to trade up (if they just have to have him) and only give up one 1st rounder.

That being said, I don't want to envision any scenario that has us giving up our first round picks minus a proven RFA pickup and I don't realistically see that happening. We also have some fairly big holes and we could fill two of them with young first round talent. I simply think we would be better served making the best of those two first rounders.

I still think there will be a RB there in the 2nd round we weren't planning on either. I'm holding out hope for Chris Polk to fall.

I know Derek is with me there...

I like Richardson and think he is one hell of a back, but i don't think it takes that much.....I think you can take that #17 and package it maybe with next years conditional pick from Oakland and move up to snag Richardson. The guarantee of a 2nd that could possibly turn into a 1st and only moving down to #17 might be very interesting to a team picking around 8-10.

That would leave the Bengals with Richardson, and still the #21 pick to use on a Lineman, CB, Safety, etc.

I'd be much more willing to do that.

I love Richardson, but I don't think it's a good value to use both 1st round picks up for him.

First of all, according to the draft value chart (for whatever that thing is worth) the #17 and #21 picks are roughly worth the #4 overall pick. Richardson is definitely a top 5 talent... but there is no way in hell I'd be willing to give two first round picks to the Browns. That would give them the #17, #21, and #22 picks in this year's draft. That's way too much firepower for a division rival.

Besides, it's my belief that the two teams most likely to select Richardson are the Browns at #4 or the Buccaneers at #5. But if neither of them do, there's a very real chance he'll be available at the #10 spot. Richardson suddenly becomes a huge value pick at the #10 spot. In my opinion, you don't trade up just because you love a player. You trade up because you both love the player, and it's a value pick.

The Bengals could trade the #17 and the #53 to jump past Seattle (who I think would certainly draft Richardson if he falls to them), and suddenly have a very deadly trio in Dalton, Green, and Richardson, and still have the #21 pick to play with later in the round. That is a trade that makes sense to me.